ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Agder (UiA)
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/11/2021 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Kristiansand S
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
About the position
A fixed-term 100% position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engineering and Science as a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in ICT. The position is affiliated to the NRC project “Logic-based Artificial Intelligence Everywhere: Tsetlin Machines in Hardware (AIEverywhere)” at the Department of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), and is located in Grimstad, Norway. The starting date is as soon as possible or by agreement.
The ICT Department has three large and active research groups in Information and Communication Technology including 11 Professors, 20 Associate Professors/Assistant professors and about 30 Research Fellows on the PhD programme in ICT. The Department of ICT pursues a variety of research interests, focusing especially on ICT and crisis management, artificial intelligence, eLearning and eHealth. The department has successfully led a number of large research projects funded by the Research Council of Norway, the EU research programmes FP7 and H2020 as well as national and international industries.
The Post-Doctoral Research Fellow will be associated with the Centre for Artificial Intelligence Research at the University of Agder.
The primary objective of the AIEverywhere project is to architect a new Tsetlin machine HW/SW ecosystem with unprecedented scalability and on-chip learning capability, for enabling powerful logic-based ML applications everywhere (i.e., at the edge and in the cloud).
The Fellow will perform research on next-generation machine learning methods, building upon recent advances in Tsetlin machines. Tsetlin machines are the next frontier in interpretable energy-efficient machine learning, and the fellow will have the opportunity to develop novel Tsetlin-machine based approaches for enhancing the interpretability and efficiency of self-supervised learning.
Research topics for the Postdoctoral Research Fellow include, but are not limited to the following:
- Tsetlin machines and learning automata
- Self-supervised learning with Tsetlin machines
- PhD in a related field (e.g. machine learning, artificial intelligence, data mining). To be considered for the position, the applicant must have submitted their PhD thesis by the closing date of the announcement.
- Expertise in the following areas:
- Tsetlin machines for classification
- Regression Tsetlin machines
- Convolutional Tsetlin machines
- Learning automata
- Relevant academic credentials
- Written and spoken English proficiency
Further provisions relating to the positions as Post-doctoral Research Fellows can be found in the Regulations Concerning Terms and Conditions of Employment for the post of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
Personal suitability, good teamwork skills, inventiveness, and a proactive approach, will be emphasized in the evaluation as well as relevant practical experience. The PhD Research Fellow will be expected to contribute to an active research community that promotes the personal and professional growth of the doctoral candidate. The position places great demands on the applicant’s capacity for independent goal-oriented work, ability to concentrate and attention to detail.
Personal qualities and suitability for the position will be emphasised.
- Professional development in a large, exciting and socially influential organisation
- A positive, inclusive and diverse working environment
- Modern facilities and a comprehensive set of welfare offers
- Membership of the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Relocation support from our collaboration partner Relocation Agder, also for spouse and children (immigration, search for accomodation, jobsearch for spouse, enrollment in kindergarten and schools, social meeting points etc)
- Information about why the University of Agder and Norway provide an excellent environment for students and employees can be found here.
The position is remunerated according to the State Salary Scale, salary plan 17.510, code 1352, NOK 563 900 – 594 300 gross salary per year. Higher salary grades may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. A compulsory pension contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund is deducted from the pay according to current statutory provisions.
UiA is an open and inclusive university. We believe that diversity enriches the workplace and makes us better. We, therefore, encourage qualified candidates to apply for the position independent of gender, age, cultural background, disability or an incomplete CV.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply for the position.
The successful applicant will have rights and obligations in accordance with the current regulations for the position, and organisational changes and changes in the duties and responsibilities of the position must be expected. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Appointment is made by the University of Agder’s Appointments Committee for Teaching and Research Positions.
Short-listed applicants will be invited for interview. With the applicant’s permission, UiA will also conduct a reference check before appointment. Read more about the employment process.
In accordance with the Freedom of Information Act § 25 (2), applicants may request that they are not identified in the open list of applicants. The University, however, reserves the right to publish the names of applicants. Applicants will be advised of the University’s intention to exercise this right.
The application and any necessary information about education and experience (including diplomas and certificates) are to be sent electronically. Use the link "Apply for this job".
The following documentation must be uploaded electronically:
- CV with a complete list of scientific publications
- Doctoral thesis or link
- Up to 5 representative publications or links
- A description of the applicant’s research interests, the relevance of your expertise to the advertised position and a preliminary work plan
The applicant is fully responsible for submitting complete digital documentation before the closing date. All documentation must be available in a Scandinavian language or English.
Application deadline: 15.12.21
For questions about the position:
- Professor Ole-Christoffer Granmo, tel. +47 37 23 33 57, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Head of Department Folke Haugland, tel. +47 37 23 32 20, email: email@example.com
For questions about the application process:
- HR-consultant Lise Askbo Fylkesnes, tel. +47 37 23 31 25, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Agder
The University of Agder has more than 1400 employees and 13 000 students. This makes us one of the largest workplaces in Southern Norway. Our staff research, teach and disseminate knowledge from a variety of academic fields. Co-creation of knowledge is our common vision. We offer a broad range of study programmes in many fields. We are situated at two modern campuses in Kristiansand and Grimstad respectively.
We are an open and inclusive university marked by a culture of cooperation. The aim of the university is to further develop education and research at a high international level.
EURAXESS offer ID: 699792
Posting organisation offer ID: 165019
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.