ORGANISATION/COMPANYFACULDADE DE ARQUITETURA DA UNIVERSIDADE DE LISBOA (UL)
RESEARCH FIELDArts › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE23/11/2021 17:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisboa
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
OFFER STARTING DATE03/01/2022
The Research Centre for Architecture, Urbanism and Design from the Lisbon School of Architecture of the Universidade de Lisboa (CIAUD/FAULISBOA) is opening a competition for the attribution of 1 (one) research grant, hereinafter referred to as Doctoral Research Grant, in the area of Design, under the terms of FCT’s Regulation for Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) and of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (EBI).
The fellowship is financed by the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT) under the Protocolo de Colaboração para Financiamento do Plano Plurianual de Bolsas de Investigação para Estudantes de Doutoramento [Collaboration Protocol for the Financing of the Multiannual Plan of Research Fellowships for Ph.D. Students], settled between FCT and the R&D Unit (Research Centre for Architecture, Urbanism and Design), (UID4008).
1. APPLICATION PRESENTATION
The competition is open between 17:00 of 25 th October 2021 and 17:00 of 23 rd November 2021.
The application and the application supporting documents stated in this Notice are required to be submitted by email to email@example.com and by registered postal service to:
Faculdade de Arquitetura da Universidade de Lisboa - Rua Sá Nogueira, 1349-063 Lisboa
The provision of false statements or the performance of acts of plagiarism by the candidates are grounds for cancellation of the application without detriment to the adoption of other punitive measures.
2. TYPE AND DURATION OF THE GRANT
The Doctoral Research Grant is intended to fund research activities carried out by the grant holder leading to the attainment of the academic degree of doctor in Portuguese universities.
The research activities leading to the doctoral degree will take place at CIAUD/FAULISBOA, which will be the grant holder’s host institution, notwithstanding the fact that the work may be carried out in collaboration with more than one institution.
The research activities leading to the doctoral degree of the selected grant holder must fit into the activities and strategy plan of CIAUD/FAULISBOA, and must be developed within the framework of the following Doctoral Programme:
- Doctoral Programme in Design from the Lisbon School of Architecture of the Universidade de Lisboa (one Grant).
The duration of the grant is, as a rule, annual, renewable up to a maximum of four years (48 months), and cannot be awarded for a period of less than three consecutive months.
In the case of the mixed grant, the period of the work plan being carried out in a foreign institution cannot exceed 24 months.
3. GRANT RECIPIENTS
The Doctoral Research Grant is intended for candidates enrolled or candidates that satisfy the conditions necessary for enrolment in the Doctoral Programme mentioned in point 2 of this Notice and who intend to develop research activities leading to the award of a doctoral degree at CIAUD/FAULISBOA.
The following individuals are eligible to apply to this competition:
- Portuguese citizens or citizens of other Member States of the European Union;
- Non-EU citizens;
- Stateless persons;
- Citizens benefiting from the status of political refugee.
To apply for a Doctoral Research Grant it is necessary to:
- Be a pre-Bologna graduate or master in the area of Design or in related areas;
- Not have benefited from a doctoral grant or from a doctoral degree in companies grant directly funded by FCT, regardless of its duration.
It is essential, under the penalty of not being admitted to the Competition, that the following documents, written in Portuguese or English, are added to the application:
- Identity card/citizen card/passport;
- Presentation of the research project (Introduction; research methods and expected results; relevance to the discipline and economic and social usefulness; bibliography), with a maximum of 3000 words;
- Candidate’s curriculum vitae;
- Academic qualifications certificates, specifying the final classification and, if possible, the scores obtained in all the courses carried out, or, alternatively, a declaration on the candidate's word of honour stating that they have completed their undergraduate or master's degree by the application deadline;
- 1 Letter of Recommendation, answering to the evaluation sub-criterion B3;
- Include in the motivation letter, as well as in the subject of the application email, the reference of the grant to which you are applying, i.e., Grant Reference BID-PDD-01/04008/2020. (Applications that do not indicate the reference of the grant they are applying for will not be considered.)
Regarding the above mentioned admissibility requirements the following should be noted:
- In the case of academic degrees awarded by foreign higher education institutions, and in order to ensure the application of the principle of equal treatment to applicants holding foreign and Portuguese academic degrees, the recognition of these degrees and the conversion of the respective final classification to the Portuguese classification scale is mandatory.
- The recognition of foreign academic degrees and diplomas, as well as the conversion of the final classification to the Portuguese classification scale may be requested at any public higher education institution, or at the Directorate General for Higher Education (DGES, only in the case of automatic recognition). Regarding this matter, we suggest consulting the DGES portal through the following link: http://www.dges.gov.pt.
- Candidates will only be admitted if they have completed the cycle of studies leading to an undergraduate or master’s degree by the application deadline. In case the candidates do not yet have the certificate of completion of the degree, a declaration drawn under word of honour will be accepted, stating that they have completed the necessary qualifications for the competition by the application deadline. The attribution of the grant is always dependent on the presentation of proof of the academic qualifications required for awarding it.
5. WORK PLAN AND SCIENTIFIC SUPERVISION OF THE GRANT
The candidates' work plan will be the development of a research project associated to the award of the degree of doctor, under the scientific coordination of the supervisor(s).
6. EVALUATION CRITERIA AND BENEFITS
6.1 Evaluation Criteria
The evaluation takes into account the candidate’s merit and interview.
Applications considered admissible will be ranked, on a scale of 0 to 5, on each of the following evaluation criteria:
- Criterion A – Scientific quality, relevance to the discipline and economic and social value of the proposed research project, with a weight of 40%;
- Criterion B – Integrated evaluation of the candidate’s curriculum vitae, based on an overview of his/her scientific merits, with a weight of 60%:
- Sub-criterion B1 – Quality of the scientific production indicators, with particular focus on publications indexed by ISI Web of Knowledge and Scopus, including, in complement, books, book chapters, and non-indexed scientific papers, published in journals of the specific area for which the competition is open, with a weight of 20%;
- Sub-criterion B2 – Average evaluation score of the pre-Bologna master's degree or undergraduate degree in the areas of the doctoral programme they are part of (Architecture, Urbanism, or Design), or in areas considered to be related, according to the criteria specified in the FCT Doctoral Grant Application Guide, with a weight of 20%;
- Sub-criterion B3 – Suitability of the candidate’s curriculum vitae, both scientific or professional, to the proposed research topic, explained in a letter of motivation, with a weight of 20%;
For the purposes of the decision on the award of grants, the candidates will be ordered according to the weighted average of the classification obtained in each of the three criteria, translated by the following formula:
├ Final Classification = (40% ×A) + (20%×B1) + (20%×B2) + (20%×B3)
In case of a tie between candidates, their ranking will be ordered based on the scores awarded to each of the evaluation criteria in the following order of precedence: subcriterion A, subcriterion B1, criterion B2, subcriterion B3.
- Candidates with diplomas issued by foreign higher education institutions may apply and will be evaluated with the same criteria as candidates with degrees issued by Portuguese institutions, provided that they present, in their application, a proof of recognition of the academic degree(s) together with the conversion of the final classification to the Portuguese classification scale, under the terms of the applicable legislation.
- Grant contracts with candidates with degrees issued by foreign institutions will only be signed upon the presentation of the proof of recognition of the academic degrees and conversion of the final classification, as indicated above.
- Candidates whose application is evaluated with a final classification lower than sixty (60) points are not eligible for a grant.
The evaluation panel is composed as follows:
Selection Jury for the award of the Doctoral Grant
Professor Doctor João Pedro Costa (President)
Professor Doutor Fernando Moreira da Silva (Voting Member)
Professor Doctor Marco Neves (Voting Member)
Professor Doctor Inês Simões (Voting Member)
Professor Doctor Rita Almendra (Voting Member)
Professor Doctor João Paulo Martins
Professor Doctor Teresa Cabral
The evaluation panel may deliberate with a minimum of 3 (three) effective members and will appraise the applications in accordance with the evaluation criteria set out in this Notice, weighing the elements of assessment. Panel members, including the coordinator, may not be advisors or co-advisors of applications submitted to the competition.
All panel members, including the president, establish the commitment to a set of responsibilities essential to the evaluation process, such as the duties of impartiality, of declaration of any potential conflicts of interest, and of confidentiality. At all moments of the evaluation process, confidentiality is fully protected and ensured in order to guarantee the independence of all assessments produced.
For each application, the panel will produce a final evaluation sheet where the arguments that led to the classifications attributed to each of the evaluation criteria and subcriteria are presented in a clear, coherent, and consistent manner.
From the meetings of the evaluation panel a minute will be drafted, for which all members are responsible.
The minutes and their annexes must include, necessarily, the following information:
- The name and affiliation of all members of the evaluation panel;
- The identification of all excluded applications and respective reasons [if applicable];
- The methodology adopted by the panel for cases considered particular [if applicable];
- The final evaluation sheet for each candidate;
- The provisional list with the evaluation and ranking of the candidates, in descending order from the final rank, of all applications evaluated by the panel;
- Conflict of Interest Declarations (CDI) from all the panel members;
- Any potential delegation of vote and powers due to justified absence [if applicable].
- Based on the final ranking list, a reserve list will be produced to use in the eventual hiring of new grantees within the scope of this call, or in the case of withdrawal of candidates ranked in the first places. In the event that none of the candidates attests to having the profile indicated for the execution of the work plan, the jury has the right to not award the grant for which this competition is open.
8. COMMUNICATION OF THE RESULTS
The results of the evaluation are communicated via e-mail to the electronic mail address used by the candidate to submit the application/indicated in the application.
9. DEADLINES AND PROCEDURES OF PRELIMINARY HEARING, OBJECTION, AND APPEAL
Following the notification about the provisional list of the evaluation results, the candidates have a period of 10 working days to, if they so wish, present their case in a preliminary hearing of interested parties, under the terms of article 121 and subsequent articles of the Código do Procedimento Administrativo [Administrative Procedure Code].
The final decision will be issued after the analysis of the statements presented during the preliminary hearing of interested parties. An objection may be filed against the final decision within 15 working days, or alternatively an appeal may be filed within 30 working days, both counting from the respective notification. Candidates who choose to file an objection must address their case to the member of the FCT Board of Directors with delegated authority. Candidates who choose to file an appeal must address their case to the FCT Board of Directors.
10. GRANT ATTRIBUTION REQUIREMENTS
The research grant contracts are signed directly with FCT.
The following documents must be submitted, when the grant is awarded, for contractual purposes:
- Copy of the following document(s): civil identification, tax identification, and, when applicable, social security;
- Copy of the qualification certificates (diplomas) of the academic degrees obtained;
- Record of recognition of foreign academic degrees and conversion of the respective final classifications to the Portuguese classification scale, if applicable;
- Documentary evidence of enrolment and registration in one of the Doctoral Programmes identified in the present Notice;
- Declaration of the supervisor(s) assuming responsibility for the supervision of the work plan, in accordance to the terms of article 5 A of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (declaration minute provided by FCT);
- Document certifying the candidate’s acceptance by the institution in which the research activities will be carried out, in which the latter guarantees the necessary conditions for the research’s adequate development, as well as the fulfilment of the duties expressed in article 13 of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (declaration minute provided by FCT);
- Updated document ensuring the candidate’s compliance with the regime of exclusive dedication (declaration minute provided by FCT);
The grant attribution is equally dependent on:
- The compliance with the requirements established in this Notice;
- The result of the scientific evaluation;
- The non-existence of unjustified non-compliance of the grant holder’s duties in the context of previously funded grant contract(s), subsidized directly or indirectly by FCT;
- FCT’s budgetary availability.
The failure to deliver any of the documents necessary to complete the grant contracting process, within the deadline of 6 months following the date of the conditional decision of attribution of the grant, implies the annulment of the mentioned attribution and the termination of the process.
The payment of the grant begins upon the return of the dully-signed contract, which must take place within 15 working days from the date of the receipt of the contract.
The grant awarded within the context of this Notice will be financed by FCT, with funds from the State Budget and, when eligible, with funds from the European Social Fund made available under the North Portugal Regional Operational Programme (Programa Operacional Regional do Norte - NORTE 2020), the Centre Portugal Regional Operational Programme (Programa Operacional Regional do Centro - CENTRO 2020), and the Alentejo Portugal Regional Operational Programme (Programa Operacional Regional do Alentejo - ALENTEJO 2020), in accordance with the regulatory provisions established for this purpose.
12. GRANT COMPONENTS
A monthly maintenance stipend is attributed to the grant holder under the terms established in Annex I of the RBI. The grant may include additional components in accordance to the terms of article 18 of the RBI, with the amounts stipulated in Annex II of the same document.
All grant holders benefit from a personal acidente insurance related to the research activities, supported by FCT.
All grant recipients who are not covered by any social security scheme may exercise their right to social security by subscribing to the voluntary social insurance regime, under the terms of the Código dos Regimes Contributivos do Sistema Previdencial de Segurança Social [Social Security Laws and Regulations], for which FCT assumes the cost of these voluntary contributions, under the terms and within the limits provided for in article 10 of the EBI.
13. PAYMENT OF THE GRANT COMPONENTS
Payments due to grant recipients are carried out by bank transfer to the bank account designated by the beneficiary. The payment of the monthly maintenance stipend is carried out on the first working day of each month.
Payments concerning registration, enrolment, or tuition components are made directly by FCT to the Portuguese institution where the grant holder is registered or enrolled in the corresponding doctoral programme.
14. TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR THE RENEWAL OF THE GRANT
The renewal of the grant always depends on a request presented by the grant holder, in the 60 days preceding the starting date of the renewal period, accompanied by the following documents:
- Written statements produced by the supervisor(s) and by the host institution(s) concerning the supervision of the research work carried out by the grant holder and the evaluation of their activities;
- An updated document ensuring the grant holder’s compliance with the regime of exclusive dedication;
- Document certifying the renewal of enrolment in the study cycle leading to the doctoral degree.
15. INFORMATION AND PUBLICITY ABOUT THE AWARDED FUNDING
In all R&D activities directly or indirectly funded by the grant, namely in all communications, publications, and scientific creations, as well as in theses, carried out with the support provided by the grant, mention must be made of the financial support from FCT and the European Social Fund, specifically through the North Portugal Regional Operational Programme (Programa Operacional Regional do Norte - NORTE 2020), the Centre Portugal Regional Operational Programme (Programa Operacional Regional do Centro - CENTRO 2020), and the Alentejo Portugal Regional Operational Programme (Programa Operacional Regional do Alentejo - ALENTEJO 2020). For that purpose, the respective insignia (logos, symbols) of FCT, MCTES (Portuguese Ministry of Science, Technology and Higher Education), ESF (European Social Fund), and EU (European Union) must be included in all documents relating to the mentioned activities, in accordance with the graphic standards of each operational programme.
The dissemination of results from the research funded under the RBI must obey the open access norms concerning produced data, publications, and other results in force at FCT.
In all grants, and in particular in the case of actions supported by Community funding, namely by the ESF, monitoring and control actions may take place carried out by Portuguese and Community bodies, in accordance with the applicable legislation on this matter, having the grant holders the obligation to cooperate and provide the solicited information, which includes participating in surveys and evaluation studies in this area, even after the grant has ended.
16. POLICY OF NON-DISCRIMINATION AND EQUAL ACCESS
FCT promotes a policy of non-discrimination and equal access, so no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired, or deprived of any right or exempt from any duty, namely given their ancestry, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, diminished work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs, and trade union affiliation.
17. APLICABLE LEGISLATION AND REGULATIONS
This competition is regulated by the current Notice, by FCT’s Regulation for Studentships and Fellowships, approved by Regulation no. 950/2019, published in Series II of the Diário da República [Portuguese Official Journal] of 16 December 2019, by the Research Fellowship Holder Statute, approved by Law no. 40/2004, of 18 August, in its current form, and by the additional applicable Portuguese and Community legislation.
 The provision of the copy of these documents may be replaced, at the choice of the candidate, by their presentation in-person at the funding entity, which will keep the elements contained therein that are relevant for the validity and execution of the contract, including civil, tax, and social security identification numbers, as well as the validity of the respective documents.
EURAXESS offer ID: 699734
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.