ORGANISATION/COMPANYVrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU)
RESEARCH FIELDCultural studies
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE19/01/2022 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Amsterdam
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK32.0
The Department of Art & Culture, History, and Antiquity of the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam is seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor (tenure track) in Medieval History. Starting date is 1 April 2022. As a member of the Cultural and Religious History Group, the successful applicant will play a central role in teaching our courses on European Medieval History. 30% of working time will be available for research. VU historians are actively involved in the CLUE+ Research Institute for Culture, Cognition, History, and Heritage, the HDC Centre for Religious History, and in national and international research networks and schools.
- teaching and developing several courses, in particular the basic introductions to European Medieval History for first-year students within the bachelor programmes Geschiedenis (Dutch) and History & International Studies (English), as well as in our MA programmes
- contributions to other courses in our History programmes and possibly also in the joint VU-UvA Humanities programme at Amsterdam University College (AUC)
- supervision and co-evaluation of bachelor's and master's theses
- initiating and performing outstanding research leading to new publications
- preparing or participating in the writing of grant applications
- administrative or management tasks, including an active role in recruiting new students
We offer a tenure-track position at the level of Assistant Professor initially for the duration of 5 years, starting at 1 April 2022. Tenure can be achieved if the faculty criteria for Assistant Professor are fulfilled. For the duration of the tenure track, performance will be evaluated in terms of teaching, publication record, attempts to acquire research funding either individually or in consortia, academic service and valorisation. After a successful evaluation, permanent employment will be granted.
On full-time basis the remuneration amounts to a minimum gross monthly salary of € 3,807 (scale 11) and a maximum € 5,211 (scale 11), depending on your education and experience. The job profile is based on the university job ranking system and is vacant for 0.7 FTE.
Additionally, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam offers excellent fringe benefits and various schemes and regulations to promote a good work/life balance, such as:
- a maximum of 41 days of annual leave based on full-time employment
- 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus
- solid pension scheme (ABP)
- child daycare facilities available on campus
- optional model for designing a personalized benefits package
Are you interested in this position? Please apply via the application button and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter until January 19, 2022.
Interviews will take place on 1 February via a Zoom session.
Applications received by e-mail will not be processed.
If you have any questions regarding this vacancy, you may contact:
Name: Professor Fred van Lieburg
Position: Professor of Religious History and Director of HDC Centre for Religious History
Web site for additional job details
- a PhD degree in Medieval History
- a proven track record of independent research in Medieval History, with a broad view of political, social, cultural, religious, and intellectual history, including the role of the Middle Ages in later periods of history and historiography, as demonstrated by publications and presentations; a domain expertise which is integrated in long-term historical and multi-disciplinary approaches
- teaching experience in European Medieval History (as evidenced by a list of courses taught and by excellent teaching evaluations) as well as a teaching qualification (BKO/UTQ or similar), or a willingness to obtain such qualification within the first two years of appointment
- the ability to communicate and teach in English (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- the ability to communicate and teach in Dutch or willingness to learn Dutch within two years (CEFR C1 level for reading, listening, writing, speaking)
- competence in the use of computational research methods, in addition to traditional scholarship, and willingness to further develop skills in digital history, will be considered a great advantage
EURAXESS offer ID: 697013
Posting organisation offer ID: 305299
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.