ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDTechnology › Materials technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE12/11/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 42,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world. You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the position
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a two-year temporary position. The candidate will be part of a research group investigating how recycled aluminium can interplay with concrete, investigating recycling process routes, parametric design, multi-material behaviour and product properties. Increasing the content of calcinated clay in concrete solutions may allow the use of aluminium as formwork, reinforcing material as well as visual appearance. The candidate will be part of the recent research project, DARE2C2, owned by Norsk Hydro ASA and funded by the Norwegian Research Council and a consortium of industry partners. Moreover, this project is aligned to long-term research programs such as Centre for Research-based Innovation SFI PhysMet, NAPIC (NTNU Aluminium Product Innovation Centre) and AluGreen.
Duties of the position
- Perform theoretical and experimental work related to the use of recycled aluminium as formwork, reinforcing material, and visual appearance in concrete structures.
- The work can be directed towards process and/or product depending on the candidate’s background and motivation.
- Support PhD students and MSc students working in the forementioned DARE2C2 and AluGreen projects.
- Contribute to project meetings, workshops, seminars etc.
- Conduct academic writing and publish project results in acknowledged peer-reviewed journals.
Required selection criteria
- The candidate must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD
- You must have a professionally relevant background within one or several of the following subject areas:
- Physical metallurgy
- Mechanical engineering
- Parametric design and product development
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Understand and have the ability to utilize physical-based material models in engineering of optimized light weight solutions.
- Know the concepts of solid-state material recycling methods.
- Use of advanced structural FE-methods for engineering of multi-material applications.
- Design for excellence, where material circularity is key to design future products.
- Basic knowledge of aluminium as a structural material is an advantage.
- Ability to conduct high quality research and publish results in acknowledged peer-reviewed journals.
- Programming skills, developing design codes to connect different material, process and product models for multicriteria decision making.
- Good written and oral English, Norwegian language skills will be beneficial.
- Creative, with a strong ability to work goal-oriented and independently.
- Good skills to deliver oral and written presentations of research results.
- He/she should also enjoy interdisciplinary research and take keen interest in working in project teams.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding through the IPN project DARE2C2.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- A cover letter (including motivation and why you think you are the right person for this position)
- CV including list of publications and information pertaining to the given qualifications.
- Certificate of completed PhD degree
- The required documentation of English language proficiency.
- Names and contact information of at least three references.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Knut Marthinsen, telephone 73593473, email email@example.com and Professor Geir Ringen, telephone 41679834, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Professor II Trond Furu, telephone 90590343, email email@example.com.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number NV-110/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 12.11.2021
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 696797
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.