ORGANISATION/COMPANYFaculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa
RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences › Linguistics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE04/11/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Lisbon
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/01/2022
- Tender open for the award of 1 Scholarship for PhD students (Bolsa de Investigação para Doutoramento). This grant is funded by Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), under the “Protocolo de Colaboração para Financiamento do Plano Plurianual de Bolsas de Investigação para Estudantes de Doutoramento”, signed between the FCT and the R&D Unit Center of Linguistics of the University of Lisbon (CLUL), (UIDB/00214/2020 - UIDP/00214/2020).
- The scholarship will be awarded for 12 months, and may be renewed up to a maximum total of 4 years.
- The scholarship will be supervised by a senior member of CLUL’s Laboratory of Psycholinguistics whose specialisation fits the topic of the selected project.
- The recipient of the Doctoral Research Grant announced in this notice will join the Psycholinguistics Laboratory at the Centre of Linguistics of the University of Lisbon (CLUL). The applicant may choose one of two PhD programs available at the University of Lisbon: PhD Program in Linguistics (School of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon) or PhD Program in Cognitive Science (University of Lisbon, inter-institutional). The PhD program may include a period of international mobility research. A normal path presupposes the completion of the PhD at the end of the fourth year of the course. The final goal is the production of a doctoral thesis in the area of psycholinguistics, focusing on the effects of aging on grammatical processing. The completion of a plan of work with these characteristics does not exempt the admitted candidate from carrying out, in accordance with the guidance team that will be assigned to him/her, certain curricular unit(s) that will complement his/her training in order to gain the necessary skills to meet the stated objectives and/or to participate in research projects related to the aforementioned line of research.
- Application submission
Applications must be submitted digitally by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must include a cover letter and the following documents:
- Applicant’s curriculum vitae (written in either Portuguese or English);
- Proof of degree (duly certified by a Portuguese Authority if it is a foreign degree);
- Document proving acceptance or enrolment in a PhD program;
- A preliminary research project;
- Published papers or other materials relevant to the application.
For application purposes, diplomas, certificates and transcripts need not be submitted. In lieu, a statement of compliance is required (see below Website for additional job details). Official transcripts must be submitted prior to the signing of the contract.
Fellowships applicants must show that they meet the necessary conditions to enrol in the program leading to the attainment of the requested academic degree. Proof of acceptance will be required prior to the signing of the contract.
Stipend in accordance to the Portuguese Science Foundation salary scale, €1104,64 per month (net) (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2019.pdf), paid by bank transfer.
Insurance costs (Seguro Social Voluntário and Seguro de Acidentes Pessoais) are supported by the employer.
Acceptance of the fellowship is exclusive of any other professional or research activity (Art. 5 of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute).
The following applicants are eligible:
a) Portuguese citizens or citizens of other Member States of the European Union;
b) Citizens of other countries ;
c) Stateless persons;
d) Political refugees.
The evaluation takes place in two stages: (1) documentary curricular evaluation and (2) interview.
- First stage - Documentary evaluation
Applications considered admissible will be scored on a scale of 0 to 20 on each of the following evaluation criteria:
Criterion A - Applicant merit, with the weight of 50%;
Sub-criterion A1 - Undergraduate final grade, with a weight of 10%.
Sub-criterion A2 - Final classification of Master's Degree, with a weight of 20%.
Sub-criterion A3 - Research experience and skills, with a weight of 20%.
Criterion B - Merit of the research project, with a weight of 50%
Sub-criterion B1 - Scientific quality of research project, with a weight of 40%
Sub-criterion B2 - Motivation Letter, with a weight of 10%.
For the purposes of the grant award decision, the candidates will be ordered according to the weighted average of the classification obtained in each of the criteria, translated by the following formula
First stage classification = (0.1 × A1) + (0.2 × A2) + (0.2 × A3) + (0.4 × B1) + (0.1 × B2)
All applicants who obtain in the first phase a score higher than 16 (on a scale of 0 to 20) will be invited for interview.
(2) The evaluation in the interview will be scored on a scale of 0 to 20 on the following evaluation criteria:
- Criterion C - Ability to defend the research project and explain the project's contribution to the field of psycholinguistics, with the weight of 50%.
- Criterion D - Adequacy of the candidate's profile and competences for carrying out the work program, with a weight of 50%.
For the purposes of determining the evaluation in this second phase, the candidates will be ordered according to the weighted average of the marks obtained in each of the two criteria, translated by the following formula
Classification of the second phase = (0.5 × C) + (0.5 × D)
The final evaluation results from the following weighting: Documentary CV evaluation: 70%, Interview: 30%. For the purpose of the scholarship decision, the candidates will be ordered according to the weighted average of the classification obtained in each of the four criteria, translated by the following formula
Final classification = (0.35 × A) + (0.35 × B) + (0.15 × C) + (0.15 × D)
For the purposes of tie-breaking, candidates will be ordered on the basis of the marks awarded for each of the evaluation criteria in the following order of precedence: sub-criterion B1, sub-criterion B2, sub-criterion A3, sub-criterion A2, sub-criterion A1.
Candidates with diplomas issued by foreign higher education institutions will be evaluated with the same criteria as candidates with diplomas issued by Portuguese institutions, provided that they present, with their application, proof of recognition of their academic degrees and of conversion of the final classification to a Portuguese rating scale under the applicable legislation.
Candidates with a duly recognized diploma but who do not present proof of conversion of the final classification to a Portuguese scale will be evaluated with the minimum classification (10 points) in sub-criteria A1 and / or A2, respectively.
Chair: Professor Isabel Maria dos Santos Falé
Panel: Professor Maria Armanda Martins da Costa and Doctor Paula Luegi Bernardes Ribeiro
Preliminary decisions will be posted at the FLUL website. Selected candidate(s) will be notified by e-mail.
Applicants may submit queries or complaints about the decisions within a ten-weekday period.
Final decisions must be announced within 90 weekdays of the application deadline and up to 60 weekdays after the end of the query and complaint deadline.
In case of non-acceptance by the selected candidates, the grant may be offered to any of the other ranked applicants within 18 months of the final announcement.
This grant is regulated by:
Portuguese Research Fellow Charter/Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica (Lei Nº. 40/2004, Decreto-Lei n.º 123/2019, Decreto-Lei n.º 89/2013, Decreto-Lei n.º 233/2012, and Lei n.º 12/2013); Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia Fellowship Bylaws / Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação da Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, IP (2019) and Universidade de Lisboa Fellowship Bylaws /Regulamento de Bolsas da Universidade de Lisboa (Despacho nº 6238/2020).
Web site for additional job details
Applicants must be enrolled as PhD Students (Bolsa de Investigação para Doutoramento) in Linguistics or Cognitive Science
Applicants must hold a Master degree in Linguistics or related areas and must be students of a PhD Program in Linguistics or Cognitive Science.
Applicants must have a good oral and written command of Portuguese or English.
Upon completion of the grant period, the scholarship holder has up to 60 weekdays to submit to email@example.com (a) a final report on the activities and results (in electronic format); and (b) the supervisor(s)'s evaluation of the final report.
The final report will be evaluated by the supervisor(s) according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the work developed - 60%;
- Results achieved (publications; conference presentations) - 30%
- Integration and adaptation skills – 10%.
Each criterion will be graded 0-20. The final evaluation will be 0-20.
EURAXESS offer ID: 693559
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.