ORGANISATION/COMPANYCECS-Communication and Society Research Centre
RESEARCH FIELDCommunication sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE22/10/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK35
The University of Minho (UM) opens a call for the attribution of 1 PhD student research fellowship, in the area of Communication Sciences, under the Research Fellowship Statute (EBI); the ruling FCT Regulation for Fellowships (RBI), and the University of Minho Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships (RBIC).
The Fellowships will be funded by the Financiamento Plurianual do Centro de Estudos de Comunicação e Sociedade 2020‐2023 - financiamento programático, under the scope of the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, reference no. UIDP/00736/2020.
The fellowship holder will carry out activities in support to the organization and technical-scientific development of the project, namely:
- Monitoring of research and intervention projects carried out by the Observatory;
- Research and document management in the field of Literacy for Media and Information;
- Permanent update of the MILObs website and social networks;
- Collaboration in the production of reports, essays and scientific articles;
- Organization of scientific and cultural events;
- Production and editing of photographs/videos, sound pieces and texts;
- Communication and dissemination of science;
- Editorial support.
The call for applications is open from 11/10/2021 to 22/10/2021, until 11:59 pm (GMT). Applications and application support documents requested in this call (‘Application Admissibility Requirements’) must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the call reference in the email subject “MILObs_BI2021_1”. Applications sent by other means or extemporaneous will not be accepted.
Application Admissibility Requirements
It is essential, under penalty of non-admission to the call, to attach to the application the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Certificates of the previous academic degrees held, specifying mandatorily the final classification and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all the curricular units performed. Alternatively, the candidate must submit a declaration of honour, declaring that he/she has completed the degrees required in the notice at the time of the application deadline;
- Proof of research experience;
- For degrees obtained abroad, proof of recognition of academic degrees assigned by foreign higher education institutions and registration of the conversion of the final classification (GPA) to the Portuguese classification scale. Alternatively, the candidate's declaration of honour declaring that he/she has obtained the recognition of the foreign degree equivalent to that of the degrees required in the notice at the time the application deadline;
- Motivation Letter.
Applicable legislation and regulations
Research Fellowship Holder Statutes, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current version published by Decree-Law no. 123/2019 of august 28; Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021 and Regulation of Research Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. - in force.
The research activities will be carried out in the Communication and Society Research Centre (CECS), University of Minho, Braga, Portugal, under the scientific supervision of Professors Doctors Sara de Jesus Gomes Pereira and Manuel Joaquim da Silva Pinto.
The fellowship will take place for a period of 12 months and may, eventually, be renewed up to the applicable legal limit.
The value stipend (Monthly Maintenance Allowance) is 1104,64€ per month, in accordance with the stipends values published by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT I.P.) in the country (Annex I – Monthly Stipends Values for the maintenance allowances of the FCT Regulation for Research Studentships and Fellowships and Annex II of the Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021), according to the applicable regulation. Payment is made on the 23rd of each month, through bank transfer to the Bank Identification Number of the fellow identified in the contractualization process.
Benefits: Reimbursement of Voluntary Social Security (Social Security contributions), corresponding to the 1st level of discounts (for research grants with a total duration of 6 months or higher) and personal accident insurance.
Exclusivity regime: The grantee will perform the activities under exclusivity, as foreseen in article 5º of the Research Fellow Statutes and applicable regulations.
Applicants must comply with the eligibility conditions laid down in article 9 of the Research Grants Regulation of the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2019).
The academic degrees and diplomas documents, or their respective recognition when awarded by foreign higher education institutions are not mandatory in the application phase, being replaced by a declaration of honor of the candidate with the contents of academic results. The documents of academic qualification or respective recognition will be required in the contracting phase and must attest facts that occurred on a date prior to the application. In situations of divergence between the information contained in the declaration and the documentation submitted for contracting the grant, only the information contained in the latter will be consider. If the documents proving the ownership of the academic degree and diploma, or the respective recognition under the terms of Decree-Law No. 66/2018, of August 16, do not correspond to the classifications awarded in the evaluation of the academic path, which can change the candidate's ranking, the fellowship won’t be contracted.
Applicants with degrees obtained abroad must present proof of recognition of qualifications in Portugal and conversion of the final classification obtained in them to the Portuguese classification scale or declaration under the terms indicated in the previous point. Candidates who do not comply with one of these provisions, the selection panel will assign “0” in the grade of the graduation and/or master course. Candidates will be evaluated on the remaining parameters.
The applications assessment will focus on the Candidate's Merit (MC), taking into account several subcriteria. The evaluation subcriteria to be used will be as follows:
- a Academic path (considering the classifications of academic degrees), with a weighting of 35 points;
- b Personal curriculum (considering professional and scientific background), with a weighting of 60 points;
- c Motivation letter, with a weighting of 5 points.
The Candidate Merit (MC) classification will be obtained by applying the following formula: MC = a + b + c
The Jury may decide to call for an interview with the two candidates with the best scores. In this case, the following subcriteria will be evaluated:
- a. Interpersonal skills, weighing 30 points;
- b. Knowledge demonstrated in the contest area, weighing 40 points;
- c. Motivation, weighing 20 points;
- d. Language skills, weighing 10 points.
The interview classification (ENT) will be obtained by applying the following formula: ENT = a + b + c + d
In case of an interview, the final classification (CF) of the Candidate Merit (MC) and the Interview (ENT) will be obtained by applying the following formula: CF = (MC*0,7) + (ENT*0,3)
If the interview does not take place, the final classification (CF) will correspond to 100% of the evaluation obtained in the Candidate Merit (MC).
The jury may not attribute the fellowship if the quality of the candidates is inferior to that intended.
President of the Jury: Professor Moisés Adão de Lemos Martins
Effective Members: Professora Sara de Jesus Gomes Pereira and Professor Manuel Joaquim da Silva Pinto
Substitute Member: Professor Daniel Cruz Brandão
The first effective member will substitute the President of the selection panel in case of impediment, being nominate the first substitute member in the place of the first effective member.
Publication of results
The final results of the evaluation will be publicized through a list sorted by the final grade obtained, posted in a visible and public place of the host institution, as well as by email to all candidates, attaching the minutes with the deliberations of the jury, within 90 working days after the deadline for submission of applications. The notification will be sent to the email address used by the applicants for the submission of the application/indicated in the application, with receipt of delivery of the notification. The selected candidate(s) must state in writing their intention to accept the fellowship. In case of non-acceptance, the fellowship will be attributed to the next candidate(s) in order of final ranking.
Complaint and Appeal Procedures
After the notification, applicants have a period of 10 working days to produce their arguments at a prior hearing of interested parties, under Articles 121 and 122 following the Code of Administrative Procedure (CPA). The final decision can be contested within 15 working days, by sending to the President of the jury the corresponding claim. Interested parties may also submit an optional hierarchical appeal, addressed to the Pro-Rector for Research and Projects, Professor Filipe Vaz.
Contract template and final report template
The fellowship will be attributed by signing a fellowship contract between the University of Minho and the fellow, accordingly with the contract minute (Rules for Granting and Management of Grants within the scope of R&D projects, including infrastructure projects, the multi-annual financing program for R&D units and other FCT financing instruments (Version 2021). The contract may only be concluded after all the documentation required is collected, which must take place within a maximum period of 6 months. Once all the documentation has been received, the contracting entity has a period of 60 working days to conclude the scholarship contract. Once received, the fellow must return the contract duly signed within 15 working days. The activities under the fellowship contract can only begin after proper authorization by the contracting entity.
In case of cancellation of the fellowship, up to 6 months after its attribution, the vacancy(s) will be filled by the candidate(s) from the list of substitutes, according to the final ordering.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELCommunication sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: GoodPORTUGUESE: Excellent
The research fellowship is meant for enrolled candidates or candidates who may prove to have the necessary conditions to enrol in the Doctoral Program in Science Communication. Or enrolled masters or masters who may prove to have the necessary conditions to enrol in non-academic degree courses integrated into the educational project of the institution (UMinho), developed in association or cooperation with one or more R&D units. Applicants to the current call must comply with the following:
- Be a national citizen or a citizen from other European Union Member States;
- Be a citizen from third-party states;
- Be a stateless citizen;
- Be a citizen who may benefit from the political refugee status.
Applicants admissibility requirements
- Have a degree and master's degree in the area of Communication Sciences;
- Research experience in the field of communication and media and, in particular, in Media Literacy;
- Publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals;
- Participation, with communication, in national and international conferences;
- Experience in creating and managing social networks and websites.
- Experience in the field of Communication/Media and in quantitative and qualitative data analysis;
- Experience in planning, production, editing and analysis of sound/image and video;
- Experience in collecting and analysing information and reporting;
- Domain of Portuguese and English languages.
EURAXESS offer ID: 693482
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.