ORGANISATION/COMPANYUNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE
RESEARCH FIELDCommunication sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/10/2021 00:00 - Europe/London
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Arts
Department/School: School of Culture and Communication
Salary: $107,547 - $127,707 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
The Faculty of Arts is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and strongly encourages people with diverse experiences to apply. This includes First Nations people, culturally and linguistically diverse people, Deaf and hard of hearing people, people with a disability, LGBTIQ+, and neurodiverse people. If you have any accessibility requirements for the application or interview, please contact us. We are dedicated to ensuring barrier free and inclusive practices to recruit the most talented candidates. A position description is available in alternate formats if required, including USB, Large Print and Plain English.
About the role
The Lecturer in Media and Communications (Digital Media Research Methods) will coordinate and teach into digital methods subjects in the graduate and undergraduate programs of Media and Communications. An ability to teach traditional and digital quantitative research methods is essential. Other responsibilities include supervising honours, minor theses and PhD students. The Lecturer will be expected to have a strong track record of research and publications and the ability to contribute to the development of existing and future research projects, including participation as an investigator on ARC and/or externally funded research projects. The candidate will have strong skills in online data collection and analysis techniques, and the capacity to reflect on their social and ethical implications. The specific area of research focus is open, but an ability to complement and diversify existing research strengths in the Media and Communications Program is an advantage.
The Media and Communications Program at the University of Melbourne is ranked in the top 50 in its discipline globally (QS 2021) and features a thriving research and teaching environment. Media and Communications runs a very successful Major in the Bachelor of Arts and two highly successful Masters degrees, the MA Global Media Communication and MA Marketing Communications. It has research strengths in digital cultures, media theory, journalism studies, political economy of media, marketing communications, and political communication. Media and Communications features both quantitative and qualitative researchers from across the social sciences and humanities.
You will bring to the role:
- A completed PhD in Media and Communication or a cognate discipline
- Demonstrated track record in undertaking research within media and communication, such as publications in academic journals and edited volumes;
- Strong skills in online data collection and analysis techniques, and the capacity to reflect critically on their social and ethical implications;
- Demonstrated ability to teach traditional statistical and digital methods across undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- Demonstrated ability for excellence in teaching and course coordination, including the capacity to initiate course development
- Ability to supervise postgraduate coursework degree (MA), honours and research higher degree (PhD) theses
- Capacity to attract research grants and consultancies
- Demonstrated professional and collegial behaviour of a very high standard
To ensure the University provides a safe environment for children, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to:
- Maximise your benefits through our Salary Packaging scheme
- Flexible family friendly policies, providing generous leave and working conditions
- The opportunity to work in a culturally rich environment
- A substantial discount to eligible staff and their immediate families in undertaking further studies at the University of Melbourne
To find out more, go to http://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits
Applications close: 29 Oct 2021 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time
EURAXESS offer ID: 692267
Posting organisation offer ID: 267503
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.