ORGANISATION/COMPANYMax Perutz Labs
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesComputer scienceMedical sciencesPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
The Max Perutz Labs are committed to elucidating the mechanisms underlying fundamental biomedical processes by analyzing and reconstituting them across spatial and temporal scales. The Central Biooptics Facility supports the institute in this mission and comprises state-of-the-art light microscopy equipment. The facility personnel provides a wide portfolio of state-of-the-art services to Max Perutz labs scientists, including advice on experimental design and data analysis, training as well as maintenance of all 15 currently offered high-end microscope systems. The facility is seeking to expand its team with a postdoc-level person experienced in superresolution microscopy, who will play a key role in the institute’s research endeavors.
Your primary responsibilities will include:
- Supervision of available superresolution microscopy related systems (PALM/STORM, SIM, STED, Airy-Scan), including
o training of users
o on-demand troubleshooting
o user communication
o all other aspects of experimental support to researchers (e.g. sample preparation; development of complex experimental workflows; data analyses)
- Involvement in every day’s facility operation:
o Training of users and maintenance of the instruments (= collaborative team effort)
o Evaluation of techniques and data, as well as optimization of resources
o Administration (statistics, surveys, homepage)
o Assistance in organizing workshops/demos and core-promotion and outreach-initiatives
- Academic Teaching (lectures, practical courses)
- PhD in Biology or Physics or any related field of life science
- Proven experience in advanced light microscopy, preferably with superresolution microscopy techniques (PALM, STORM, STED, SIM, or any related technique).
- Experience with image processing and image analyses software (ImageJ/Fiji, Icy, Huygens, Imaris, etc.).
- Experience in the work environment of a service-oriented Core Facility will be considered a bonus.
- Programming skills (Java, Python, MatLab, C++, etc.) will likewise be considered a bonus.
- Computer skills: MS office (good knowledge)
- Ability to work independently and dedication to continuous self-development in applying light microscopy techniques (e.g. attendance of advanced training courses and workshops)
- Social competence–support and service-minded attitude, good communication skills, team player mindset, reliability.
- Excellent spoken and written English is essential, as the working language at the Max Perutz Labs is English
Why join us?
- Stimulating, supportive, and friendly environment in which you can further develop your expertise
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and contact to a vibrant community of researchers at the Vienna BioCenter, one of Europe’s leading life science hubs
- We offer a minimum salary of EUR 3.700 (gross per month, incl. hazardous duty pay) for 40h with possible overpayment depending on qualification and work experience.
- The position can be turned into a permanent contract upon positive evaluation after 12 months.
- Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
- The position is available immediately
Please send your application including the following documents in pdf to
- Motivation letter
- Academic CV including a detailed list of publications, advanced training courses and talks
- Two letters of reference (including actual referee contact data)
Application deadline is October 31st 2021.
About the Max Perutz Labs
The Max Perutz Labs are a research institute established by the University of Vienna and the Medical University of Vienna to provide an environment for excellent, internationally recognized research and education in the field of Molecular Biology. Dedicated to a mechanistic understanding of fundamental biomedical processes, scientists at the Max Perutz Labs aim to link breakthroughs in basic research to advances in human health. The Max Perutz Labs are located at the https://www.viennabiocenter.org/ rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">Vienna BioCenter, one of Europe’s hotspots for Life Sciences, and host around 50 research groups, involving more than 450 scientists and staff from 40 nations.
About our facility: https://www.maxperutzlabs.ac.at/research/facilities/biooptics-light-micr... rel="noopener noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.maxperutzlabs.ac.at/research/facilities/biooptics-light-micr...
EURAXESS offer ID: 691212
Posting organisation offer ID: 747098
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.