ORGANISATION/COMPANYMaastricht University (UM)
RESEARCH FIELDJuridical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/10/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Maastricht
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
The PhD researcher will perform research and write a thesis on a theme related to Corporate Law and / or Corporate Governance.
Corporate Law and Corporate Governance have strongly evolved over the past years. In particular, a company`s position in society and the role of shareholders and their interests in companies seem to be shifting. There is a trend towards more emphasis on the responsibilities of companies in and towards society, as can be seen in, amongst others, the public consultation by the European Commission on sustainable corporate governance and recent court cases, including the Shell-case by the The Hague District Court. These developments can also be seen in various legislative developments and research initiatives, such as the Accountable Capitalism Act, The New Paradigm and The Future of the Corporation.
These shifting views bring to the forefront fundamental questions on how to regulate companies and their stakeholders for the benefit of society. Questions such as: should shareholders hold decisive control rights and, if so, how should they use them? How should company groups be regulated, both from a control and liability perspective? How can companies effectively imbed sustainability into their corporate governance? These questions are part of an important debate on how and to what extent companies should be regulated as part of global challenges.
As a Phd researcher you will research these and / or related questions in order to contribute to this debate. More specifically, the proposed phd-research will address one of the following topics:
- The role of shareholders, management board and supervisory board in embedding sustainability in the company;
- The role of governance systems in embedding sustainability in companies;
- The governance of company groups and how to embed and monitor sustainability goals within the group;
- The role of shareholders when striving for the long term success of the company.
You will work together with experts from the Institute for Corporate Law, Governance and Innovation Policies (ICGI) and associated research networks. You will be part of an exciting and vibrant community where researchers from various disciplines meet to discuss Corporate Law and Corporate Governance. You will be offered the opportunity to expand your horizon, gain new insights and do research. For this, you will be encouraged and coached. You will be able to attend courses and workshops that will add social and legal knowledge to your skillset.
- Perform scientific research on Corporate Law / Corporate Governance, in particular on the themes as stated above;
- Write scientific papers for national and international peer-reviewed conferences and journals;
- Present your work at national and international conferences;
- Write your PhD thesis;
- Provide (administrative) support for the ICGI and collaborate with the ICGI management.
Supervision will be provided by individually assigned senior researchers. A small proportion (20%) of the appointment may be devoted to teaching activities/providing (administrative) support to the ICGI. The majority of the work (80%) concerns the tasks as mentioned above.
- Start of employment: between 1 November 2021 and 1 Januari 2022 (preferably).
- 38 hours per week;
- Remuneration will be according to standard salary levels for PhD candidates starting with a salary of €2.434, based on a full-time appointment (38 hours/week). An 8% holiday and an 8.3% year-end allowance is also provided;
- We offer a 4 year full-time appointment as PhD candidate. The first year will be a probation period, after a positive assessment the position will be extended for another 3 years, which happens in the vast majority of cases;
- We offer an attractive package of fringe benefits such as, reduction on collective health insurance, substantial leave arrangements, selection model for designing a personalised benefits package, use of UM Sport facilities against reduced rate, and application for attractive fiscal arrangements for employees from abroad;
- The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provisions also apply. For more information look at the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > About UM > Working at UM.
- We offer a rewarding career at a young university in the heart of Europe, with a distinct global perspective and a strong focus on innovative research and education;
- We provide a stimulating, collaborative and interdisciplinary work environment with excellent opportunities for professional and personal development;
- Maastricht University has an excellent international reputation, and Maastricht itself is a beautiful, open-minded city located in the center of Western Europe.
- The appointment will be at the Maastricht Law Faculty.
- Fixed-term contract: 4 years.
Applicants are requested to apply through AcademicTransfer only. An application consists of:
- academic transcript of bachelor’s and master’s degrees and list of grades;
- proof of the English language level (e.g. being a native speaker, having completed a university degree in the English language or having passed a IELTS or TOEFL test; a IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.5 in writing or an internet-based TOEFL score of 90 with no less than 23 in writing is sufficient);
- a motivation letter;
- a CV;
- the graded master thesis or, if applicable, another substantial piece of English or Dutch writing.
Inquiries concerning this position can be directed to: Prof. dr. M. Olaerts, Maastricht Law Faculty, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants should send their application letter, curriculum vitae and publication list to Pzfdrvacatures@maastrichtuniversity.nl no later than 21 October 2021 under reference of the vacancy number (AT2021.373).
Maastricht University is committed to promoting and nurturing a diverse and inclusive community. We believe that diversity in our staff and student population contributes to the quality of research and education at UM, and strive to enable this through inclusive policies and innovative projects led by teams of staff and students. We encourage you to apply for this position.
Web site for additional job details
- Master’s degree in Law.
- Excellent oral and written English communication.
- Fluency in other European languages than English, especially Dutch, French and/or German, is preferred.
EURAXESS offer ID: 687270
Posting organisation offer ID: 304547
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.