ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 42,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You will find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the position
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree.
The working environment
The PhD position is available in the Multiscale Biology section of the Department of Biology. We investigate processes across all levels of biology – from molecules to ecosystems. We are a collaborative, vibrant and growing research community including 10 PhDs and postdocs, 7 engineers and 8 professors and associate professors. Furthermore, we will soon be expanding and hire more PhDs and postdocs. Further background information can be found here: https://www.ntnu.edu/biology/research/multiscale
The research group and the project
You will join the group of Dr. Sueldo, a newly established research group within the Multiscale Biology section investigating the molecular mechanisms underpinning plant cell death execution and regulation during stress. Your project will aim at understanding the role of ‘death signals’ in mediating cell-cell communication during plant cell death. You will apply proteomics, live-imaging and plant pathology concepts to address this question. Your project will be in collaboration with the group of Prof. Hamann (Plant Functional Biology, NTNU) and Prof. Schwarzlander (Plant Energy Biology, University of Munster).
Duties of the position
- To conduct research in the lab responsibly
- To participate in group meetings and discussions
- To attend to conferences and disseminate findings
- To engage in a collaborative research environment
- To assist MSc and other PhD students
- To write and defend a PhD thesis
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Plant Biology
- Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree programme, where 120 credits are obtained at master's level
- You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master's degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU's grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty's doctoral program
- Experience with Golden Gate/Gateway cloning and other standard molecular biological techniques
- Bioinformatics skills
- Experience with protein expression and purification from E. coli
- Experience in working with Arabidopsis
- Very good written and oral English language skills
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Good knowledge of fluorescence/confocal microscopy
- Self-motivated and independent
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 491 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is three years with the possibility of until one year extension with 25% teaching duties in agreement with the department. Ability to teach in Norwegian is not mandatory but will be considered advantageous
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in [subject area] (Link to website, if applicable) within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding (ta stilling til om stillinger skal være betinget av ekstern finansiering).
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English (ta stilling til dette)
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include (Departments to choose from the following):
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's and master's degrees. If you have not completed the master's degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master's thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master's thesis. If you recently have submitted your master's thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master's degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- A cover letter
- A one-page research statement explaining how you would investigate´death signals’ that mediate cell-cell communication during plant cell death
- Name and address of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor's and master's education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
In accordance with The Public Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Daniela Sueldo, email: email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Liv-Mari Granum (HR), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number 99/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 30.09.21
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Biology
We work with global challenges in natural diversity, climate, the environment, health and nutrition. Our expertise in biological processes at all levels – from molecules to ecosystems – contributes to a sustainable society. The Department educate graduates for a wide range of careers in public administration, business and academia. The Department of Biology is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 684800
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.