RESEARCH FIELDLanguage sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/11/2021 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Utrecht
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40.0
Utrecht University is looking to fill the Professorship of Intercultural Communication (ICC). The Chair is positioned in the Department of Languages, Literature and Communication of the Faculty of Humanities. The department focuses on the study of Western European languages and cultures in a global context.
The research domain of the Chair lies within the broad field of multilingualism, focusing on the linguistic interaction between speakers from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds in diverse and inclusive societies. The Chair plays a leading role in the department's research in ICC, which intertwines the fields of linguistics (Utrecht Institute of Linguistics) and cultural and literary studies (Institute for Cultural Enquiry). The Chair is responsible for the one-year ICC Master’s programme, which attracts around 50 students a year. The Chair maintains close relations with colleagues in all language sections (German, Dutch, English, French, Italian, Spanish, and Language & Communication) of the department.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for a period of five years. In case of a good performance, the position may become permanent. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €5,843 and €8,508 (scale 16 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year. In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). More information about working at Utrecht University can be found here.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. To apply, please send your curriculum vitae, including a letter of motivation. Your application should include:
- a letter of motivation;
- a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
- a concise research plan which shows your connection to the research profile (800 words max.).
Please note that a trial lecture will be part of the application procedure. A formal assessment may be part of the application procedure too.
Web site for additional job details
Eligible candidates should:
- have a sound research background in multilingualism, with interdisciplinary connections into adjacent areas, such as sociolinguistics, second language acquisition, communication studies, cultural and literary studies, and/or social and economic history;
- be excellent senior Researchers, as evidenced by high quality, international and peer-reviewed publications, and their ability to set up an innovative line of research and acquire research funding;
- have experience in successfully coaching junior Researchers;
- be capable of interdisciplinary collaboration, in particular also in connection with the university's core theme Institutions for Open Societies;
- be inspiring teachers at all academic levels;
- be able and willing to teach in Dutch and in English (candidates who are not yet proficient in Dutch or whose proficiency is insufficient at the time of their appointment will be expected to master the language adequately within two years);
- be an inspiring leader to academic staff who conduct research and provide education in the field of ICC;
- proven interpersonal and organisational skills and also well-grounded skills in communication and management associated with the seniority of the position;
- be able to take up and carry out management tasks, both within the department and in broader circles within the university.
EURAXESS offer ID: 683957
Posting organisation offer ID: 304327
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.