ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe International Institute of Molecular Mechanisms and Machines Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
REFERENCE NUMBEROPUS 20 Prof. M. Konarska
The International Institute of Molecular Mechanisms and Machines (IMol) Polish Academy of Sciences, was constituted in December 2020, in partnership with University Medical Center Göttingen, Germany and University of Warsaw, Poland.
IMol has been established to conduct scientific research and provide training in the fields of biological, chemical, medical, biotechnological, bioinformatics, biophysical, pharmacological, and similar sciences, in the international environment conducive to collaborative efforts, research and development interactions with biotechnological industry, and wide dissemination of our results.
Currently IMol is seeking for highly motivated candidates for a position of: PhD student (2 positions)
- MSc degree (or equivalent) in genetics, molecular biology, biophysics, biochemistry, chemistry or related fields of life sciences (or perspective of obtaining one);
- Ability to work both independently and as a part of a team;
- Ability to communicate fluently in English (written and spoken);
- Ability to plan, organize, set priorities, work as a team member and effectively complete assignments
- Strong motivation to work and pursue scientific questions, creativity and analytical thinking;
Description of your tasks:
- Performing experiments using genetic and molecular biology techniques (independently and in collaboration with other team members)
- Participating in experimental design and data analysis
- Participating in the data preparation and writing of manuscripts
- Active participation in lab meetings, scientific seminars and conferences
- Work in an active team in an excellent scientific environment
- Access to the state-of-the-art equipment and facilities
- Participation in courses and conferences
- Comprehensive training in yeast genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology techniques
- Type of contract: 48 months, stipend of 5k PLN total cost / month
A few words about the research group: Laboratory of RNA Biology led by Prof. Magda Konarska is a research group with an excellent publication record in genetics and molecular biology. We are interested in various aspects of pre-mRNA splicing. Our research is focused on mechanisms of splicing catalysis, analyzed using yeast genetic approaches guided by the structural information from recent published cryo-EM spliceosome structures.
Project: OPUS 20
Project leader: Prof. Magda Konarska, PhD
Project title: “Structure-function analysis of the catalytic center of the spliceosome”
Project description: The long-term, broad goals of this project are to understand interactions and rearrangements between spliceosome components and the RNA substrates leading to catalysis. Investigation of these events will elucidate interactions and rearrangements among core components, allowing for a better description of spliceosome function and ultimately helping to predict the outcome of splicing patterns. This proposal focuses on mechanisms by which three elements within the spliceosome: the catalytic triplex, a region of Prp8 protein in proximity of the active site and the N-terminal domain of Cwc25 protein, impact the function of the catalytic center.
Deadline for applications: 24th of September 2021
How to apply: Please apply by sending required documents:
- Motivation letter;
- A list of publications and conferences attended;
- One letter of support from an academic supervisor,
to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject: „Graduate Student position in OPUS 20 Prof. M. Konarska"
To allow us to process your data, please include the following statement in your application:
“I hereby consent to have my personal data processed by The International Institute of Molecular Mechanisms and Machines Polish Academy of Sciences, with its registered office: Smetany 2, 00-783 Warszawa for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and I Agree for a transfer of provided data to any entity responsible for the implementation of project OPUS 20 Prof. M. Konarska. I have been informed of my rights and duties. I understand that provision of my personal data is voluntary.”
EURAXESS offer ID: 683251
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.