ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Cyprus
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/09/2021 14:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › NICOSIA
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK140/month
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER813162
The University of Cyprus (UCY) announces the availability of one (1) Ph.D. fellowship position under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Initial Training Network (ITN) “RAIS: Real Time Analytics for the Internet of Sports.” The positions are in the area of edge computing, complex systems and data analytics.
The period of employment is as follows:
Possible starting date: October 2021 (approx. 14 months - within the approved limits of its budget).
The position is funded by the European Commission under the Marie Sklodowska--Curie Initial Training Network (ITN) program RAIS, which focuses on the design of decentralized, scalable and secure collective awareness platforms for real-time data analytics and machine learning, which preserve end-user privacy and information ownership. The RAIS consortium aspires to establish a fertile multidisciplinary research and innovation community with a strong entrepreneurial culture that will advance wearable sport-sensing and quantified-self devices and accompanying middleware. The consortium comprises scientists and research groups from the Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden; the Univ. of Cyprus; the Univ. of Insubria, Italy; the Foundation of Research and Technology-Hellas (FORTH), Greece; the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece; RaceFox, Sweden and a number of associated research and industrial partners (Cambridge University, UK; MIT Sloan School of Management, USA; Open Data Institute, UK; EIT Digital, Belgium; Recorded Future, Sweden; Kinetic Analysis, The Netherlands; Berklee College of Music, USA).
The main objective of the RAIS Initial Training Network is to provide world class training for the next generation of researchers, data scientists, and Web engineers, emphasizing on a strong combination of advanced understanding in both theoretical and experimental approaches, methodologies and tools that are required to develop Decentralized Platforms for Real-Time Data Analytics.
Marie Curie fellows enjoy good salaries and working conditions, career development opportunities and work-life balance. We especially encourage women researchers to apply for the aforementioned positions.. For Marie Curie fellows with family (‘Family’ means persons linked to the researcher by marriage (or a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalized) or dependent children who are actually being maintained by the Marie Curie fellow), a monthly family allowance will be given. Marie Curie fellows will also get coverage of expenses related to the participation in research and training activities (contribution to research-related costs, meetings, conference attendance, training actions, etc.).
Career Stage : Early stage researcher or 0-4 years of experience (Post graduate) – According to the H2020 (Marie S. Curie Actions) Regulations. Eligibility rules for the Marie S. Curie fellows can be found at the H2020 MSCA 2018-2020 Work programme: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/wp/2018-2020/ma... msca_en.pdf
- The monthly gross salary is €2350,76 (Employee contributions will be deducted from this amount), also mobility allowance of €583,09, plus a family allowance (if the candidate is married: €485,91).
- In the context of a personal Career Development Plan, opportunities for international collaboration, attend outstanding conferences/events and exchanges to world-class academic and industrial partners will take place.
- Registration for a PhD at University of Cyprus in Edge computing, Complex systems and Data analytics.
- Training in a range of state-of-the-art scientific skills, intellectual property and project management skills.
- Secondment placements within the network’s partners (up to max. 30% of the training period).
While expressions of interest are accepted on a continuous basis, applications received by September 24, 2021 will be considered in the first evaluation cycle. The decision is expected to be reached by the end of September 2021.
Interested parties are requested to submit the following files:
- The signed candidate application form (in pdf format) *
- Your CV (in pdf format) including your relevant professional experience and knowledge *.
- A cover letter (in pdf format) with a brief description of why you want to pursue research studies, about what your academic interests are and how they relate to your previous studies and future goals. (Maximum 2 pages long) *.
- A copy of the degree certificate(s) and transcripts of records from your previously attended university-level institutions. Translations into English or Greek if the original documents are not issued in one of these languages *.
- Any representative publications or technical reports. For longer documents, please provide a summary (abstract) and a web link to the full text. (optional)
Applications should be submitted electronically to Mrs. Demetra Katziani at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line RAIS/vacancies2021/ NAME SURNAME.
The offer of the position is subject to the final approval of the European Commission and any other regulatory approval.
For more information please contact Associate Professor George Pallis (email@example.com).
At least the best three candidates that satisfy the required qualifications, will be interviewed by a 3-member Committee.
Candidates shall be informed of the result of their application by the relevant entity.
The University of Cyprus shall collect and process your personal data according to the provisions of the General Regulation on Personal Data 2016/679 (EU).
To see the announcement please visit: http://ucy.ac.cy/hr/documents/PROKIRIKSIS_VOITHITIKO_AKADHMAIKO/Position...
Requirements, Eligibility Criteria and Funding
We seek candidates with experience and/or research interests in the following areas and topics:
- Distributed Computing Systems and Software: Edge computing infrastructure and applications, middleware and software platforms for wearable devices.
- Data Analytics: Edge-based analytics, Stream data mining.
- Complex Systems: Detecting and quantifying causality in contagion of health-related behaviors, Dynamic network analysis and algorithms for graph streams.
Preference will be given to highly motivated candidates with strong programming and analytical skills, excellent knowledge of English (for non-native speakers required to take TOEFL or equivalent test), and a proven commitment to their studies. Eligible applicants are required to have completed a higher education degree (M.Sc.) of computer science, statistics or other related areas from an internationally recognized university. The applicant must have less than 4 years of full-time research experience after obtaining their degree. At the time of recruitment by the UCY, the early-stage researcher must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Cyprus for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the reference date.
Students in their final year of Master education may also apply and if qualified, receive a conditional offer. If the applicant has not completed his/her studies, he/she should include a written statement from the degree administration office (or equivalent department), confirming that he/she is enrolled on the final year of his/her education and stating the expected completion date. If the applicant receives a conditional offer, the candidate should present the degree certificate before enrolment.
EURAXESS offer ID: 682471
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.