ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
This is NTNU
NTNU is a broad-based university with a technical-scientific profile and a focus in professional education. The university is located in three cities with headquarters in Trondheim.
At NTNU, 9,000 employees and 42,000 students work to create knowledge for a better world.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the position
We have a vacancy for a 2-year research position as postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering on Structural design and optimization of a novel wind turbine concept.
This position will be part of the international EU Horizon 2020 project XROTOR: X-shaped radical offshore wind turbine for overall cost of energy reduction, a 3-year project coordinated by the University of Strathclyde with a budget of nearly 4 mEUR. The aim of the project is to develop a highly innovative hybrid between a horizontal-axis (primary rotor) and vertical-axis (secondary rotor) wind turbine, to determine its performance and levelized cost of energy, and to ratify the concept work with a OEM (wind turbine manufacturer).
NTNU is responsible for WP4 on the design of the mechanical structure and analysis of the XROTOR concept. As part of the design team in WP4 you will contribute with your experience and original research to improve the design assumptions and the optimization methodology, to develop a close to optimal structural design, and to assure the overall quality of the contributions from NTNU. This includes co-supervising and collaborating with a PhD candidate working on the same project at NTNU, and coordinating with the international project partners.
The starting date of the position should be before or around January 2022.
You will report directly to the project manager at NTNU.
Duties of the position
- To perform original research on structural design optimization of wind turbines
- To publish scientific results in international peer-reviewed journals
- To help implement relevant load models and a suitable optimization methodology
- To help determine a relevant design basis and an optimal structural design for the novel XROTOR concept
- To supervise the activities of a PhD candidate in defining an optimal structural design
- To ensure high quality project contributions from NTNU according to the state of the art and international guidelines
- To meet and coordinate with international project partners
- To contribute to documentation, project reports and deliverables
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD
- You must have a professionally relevant background in structural engineering, wind energy engineering, offshore engineering or aerodynamic engineering
- A PhD degree in a relevant engineering discipline (preferably offshore engineering, structural engineering or wind energy engineering) is required
- A professional and scientific mindset is required
- Experience with structural design and finite element analysis is required
- Excellent written and oral English language skills are required
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Knowledge of (wind turbine) aerodynamic load models
- Knowledge of (structural, design or numerical) optimization
- Knowledge of relevant design standards
- Work experience in relevant industry
- Interest in wind energy
- Experience with one or more programming languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, or similar)
- Experience with statistical modeling and/or structural reliability
- You should be enthusiastic and highly motivated
- You should have the ability to work independently, but also with other researchers in a team
- You need to take responsibility for your own work
- You must be able to work with fixed deadlines
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 545 300 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 2 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Motivation letter
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 3 items)
- Name and address of two referees
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Michael Muskulus, telephone +47-735-93113, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Senior Executive Officer HR Hege Johansen, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-208/21 when applying.
Application deadline: 30.09.2021
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
We conduct research and teaching in civil and transportation engineering, technical planning, structural engineering, water and wastewater engineering and hydraulic engineering. Graduates from our programmes become employees – in both the public and private sectors – with a sustainability mindset combined with competitive knowledge and skills. The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 682125
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.