ORGANISATION/COMPANYCECS-Communication and Society Research Centre
RESEARCH FIELDAnthropologyCommunication sciencesCultural studiesSociology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE08/10/2021 22:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Braga
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK35
The University of Minho (UM) opens a call for the attribution of 1 PhD student research fellowship, in the area of Social Sciences (Communication Sciences, Cultural Studies, Sociology and Anthropology), under the Research Fellowship Statute (EBI); the ruling FCT Regulation for Fellowships (RBI), and the University of Minho Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships (RBIC).
The Fellowships will be funded by the Financiamento Plurianual do Centro de Estudos de Comunicação e Sociedade 2020‐2023 - financiamento programático, under the scope of the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia, reference no. UIDP/00736/2020.
The fellowship holder will carry out activities in support to the organization and technical-scientific development of the project, namely:
- Support to project management;
- Support to the theoretical-methodological framework of the project;
- Support for the organization of scientific and cultural events;
- Editorial support;
- Clipping production;
- Development of ethnographic work;
- Analysis and interpretation of collected data;
- Production of essays and scientific articles;
- Participation with communications in scientific events;
- Production and editing of photographs/videos and sound pieces.
The call for applications is open from 23/09/2021 to 08/10/2021, until 11:59 pm (GMT). Applications and application support documents requested in this call (‘Application Admissibility Requirements’) must be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, indicating the call reference in the email subject “PASSEIO_BI2021_1”. Applications sent by other means will not be accepted.
Application Admissibility Requirements
It is essential, under penalty of non-admission to the call, to attach to the application the following documents:
- Curriculum vitae;
- Certificates of the previous academic degrees held, specifying mandatorily the final classification and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all the curricular units performed. Alternatively, the candidate must submit a declaration of honour, declaring that he/she has completed the degrees required in the notice at the time of the application deadline;
- For degrees obtained abroad, proof of recognition of academic degrees assigned by foreign higher education institutions and registration of the conversion of the final classification (GPA) to the Portuguese classification scale, or, alternatively, the candidate's declaration of honour declaring that he/she has obtained the recognition of the foreign degree equivalent to that of the degrees required in the notice at the time the application deadline;
- Motivation Letter;
- Letters of Recommendation (two letters).
Documentation to be provided by applicants who have won the fellowship:
The selected candidate(s) must state in writing their intention to accept the fellowship. In case of non-acceptance, the fellowship will be attributed to the next candidate(s) in order of final ranking.
In order to finalize the contract, the selected candidate(s) must send the following documents:
- Individual form (template emailed later);
- Fellowship history (certificate /declaration of honor);
- Declaration of the fellowship acceptance (template emailed later);
- Copy of the document(s) of Identification, Tax Payer Number (NIF) and Social Security, if applicable;
- Proof of registration and enrolment in a cycle of studies or a course that does not lead to the academic degree required in this call;
- Copy of the Certificate(s) of the academic degrees that the applicant may hold required in this call /presentation of the proof of recognition of foreign academic degrees and conversion of the respective final classifications to the Portuguese classification scale, if applicable;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- CIÊNCIA ID (requires registration on the platform https://www.ciencia-id.pt/CienciaID/HomePage.aspx)
- Updated document proving compliance with the exclusive dedication regime (template emailed later).
Failure to deliver any of the documents necessary to complete the process of contracting the studentship, within 6 months from the date of communication of the conditional decision to grant the fellowship, implies the expiry of the aforementioned concession and the closure of the process.
- The applicants may apply without prior registration in the course for which the fellowship is open. The requirement to enroll in a degree course or non-academic degree course will be verified on the date of contracting the fellowship;
- Only fellowships whose selected applicants present a valid proof of enrollment in a degree course or non-academic degree course will be contracted, according to the type of the fellowship, issued by the academic services of the Higher Education Institution, indicating, respectively, the academic year or its duration (start and term).
- Enrollment in non-certified courses (without curricular units) will not be considered as proof of enrollment.
Applicable legislation and regulations
Research Fellowship Holder Statutes, approved by Law no. 40/2004 of August 18, in its current version published by Decree-Law no. 123/2019 of august 28; Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021 and Regulation of Research Studentships and Fellowships (RBI) of the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. - in force.
The fellowship will take place for a period of 6 months and may, eventually, be renewed up to the applicable legal limit.
The value stipend (Monthly Maintenance Allowance) is 1104,64€ per month, in accordance with the stipends values published by the Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT I.P.) in the country (Annex I – Monthly Stipends Values for the maintenance allowances of the FCT Regulation for Research Studentships and Fellowships and Annex II of the Regulation of Scientific Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in “Diário da República”, 2nd serie, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021), according to the applicable regulation. Payment is made on the 23rd of each month, through bank transfer to the Bank Identification Number of the fellow identified in the contractualization process.
Benefits: Reimbursement of Voluntary Social Security (Social Security contributions), corresponding to the 1st level of discounts (for research grants with a total duration of 6 months or higher) and personal accident insurance.
Exclusivity regime: The grantee will perform the activities under exclusivity, as foreseen in article 5º of the Research Fellow Statutes and applicable regulations.
Applicants must comply with the eligibility conditions laid down in article 9 of the Research Grants Regulation of the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (2019).
The applications assessment will focus on the Candidate's Merit (MC), taking into account several subcriteria. The evaluation subcriteria to be used will be as follows:
- a. Academic trajectory, weighing 25 points;
- b. Personal and professional curriculum, weighing 45 points;
- c. Experience in projects similar to the project and conducting fieldwork, weighing 25 points;
- d. Motivation letter and letters of recommendations, weighing 5 points.
The Candidate Merit (MC) classification will be obtained by applying the following formula: MC = a + b + c
For further clarification, the three first classified candidates will be subject to an interview. In this case, for candidates who pass the interview phase, the Jury proceeds to assess the following subcriteria:
- a. Interpersonal skills, weighing 30 points
- b. Knowledge demonstrated in the contest area, weighing 40 points
- c. Motivation, weighing 20 points
- d. Language skills, weighing 10 points
The interview classification (ENT) will be obtained by applying the following formula: ENT = a + b + c + d
In case of an interview, the final classification (CF) of the Candidate Merit (MC) and the Interview (ENT) will be obtained by applying the following formula: CF = (MC*0,7) + (ENT*0,3)
If the interview does not take place, the final classification (CF) will correspond to 100% of the evaluation obtained in the Candidate Merit (MC).
The jury may not attribute the fellowship if the quality of the candidates is inferior to that intended.
President of the Jury
Professor Moisés Adão de Lemos Martins
Professora Helena Martins da Costa Pires
Professora Maria Zara Simões Pinto Coelho
Professora Silvana Mota Ribeiro
Professora Maria da Luz Correia
The first effective member will substitute the President of the selection panel in case of impediment, being nominate the first substitute member in the place of the first effective member.
Publication of results
The final results of the evaluation will be publicized through a list sorted by the final grade obtained, posted in a visible and public place of the host institution, as well as by email to all candidates, attaching the minutes with the deliberations of the jury, within 90 working days after the deadline for submission of applications. The notification will be sent to the email address used by the applicants for the submission of the application/indicated in the application, with receipt of delivery of the notification.
Complaint and Appeal Procedures
After the notification, applicants have a period of 10 working days to produce their arguments at a prior hearing of interested parties, under Articles 121 and 122 following the Code of Administrative Procedure (CPA).
The final decision can be contested within 15 working days, by sending to the President of the jury the corresponding claim. Interested parties may also submit an optional hierarchical appeal, addressed to the Pro-Rector for Research and Projects, Professor Filipe Vaz.
Contract template and final report template
The fellowship will be attributed by signing a fellowship contract between the University of Minho and the fellow, accordingly with the contract minute (annex IV of the Regulation of Research Fellowships of the University of Minho (RBIC), published in Diário da República, 2nd Série, no. 119, through dispatch no. 6524/2020 of 22-06-2020, ratified by ratification declaration no. 447/2021 of 22-06-2021, as indicated in 2.4 of the FCT document: “Rules for Granting and Management of Grants within the scope of R&D projects, including infrastructure projects, the multi-annual financing program for R&D units and other FCT financing instruments (Version 2021)”.
The contract may only be concluded after all the documentation required is collected, which must take place within a maximum period of 6 months [including evidences of the academic degrees or diplomas and enrolment in degree courses or non-conferring courses, depending on the type of scholarship].
Reserve/substitute list: in case of cancellation of the fellowship, up to 6 months after its attribution, the vacancy(s) will be filled by the candidate(s) from the list of substitutes, according to the final ordering.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELCultural studies: Master Degree or equivalentAnthropology: Master Degree or equivalentCommunication sciences: Master Degree or equivalentSociology: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESPORTUGUESE: GoodENGLISH: Good
The research fellowship is meant for enrolled candidates or candidates who may prove to have the necessary conditions to enrol in the Doctoral Program in Science Communication or Cultural Studies or Sociology or Anthropology. Applicants to the current call must comply with the following:
- Be a national citizen or a citizen from other European Union Member States;
- Be a citizen from third-party states;
- Be a stateless citizen;
- Be a citizen who may benefit from the political refugee status.
Applicants admissibility requirements
- Have a degree and/or master's degree in the areas of Communication Sciences or Cultural Studies or Sociology or Anthropology;
- Experience in research in the field of art and urban culture;
- Publications in the project area;
- Fieldwork experience using qualitative and/or ethnographic methodology;
- Experience in multimedia production (photography, video and audio) and post-production (graphic design and audio and video editing);
- Good speaking and writing skills in Portuguese and English;
- Experience in managing websites and social networks;
- Sense of responsibility and ability to communicate and integrate into work teams.
- - Experience in research, namely of an ethnographic nature (fieldwork; conducting and processing interviews; writing essays);
- - Excellent knowledge of Portuguese and written and spoken English;
- - Proven experience in multimedia production and post-production, managing websites and social networks;
- - Immediate availability.
EURAXESS offer ID: 681655
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.