- Delft University of Technology (TU Delft)
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Not Applicable
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
At the Delft Institute for Applied Mathematics (DIAM), part of Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, a full-time postdoctoral position in the mathematical analysis of partial differential equations from fluid mechanics is offered. The postdoc will be mentored by Dr. M.V. Gnann. The focus of the project is on Stokes and Navier-Stokes equations formulated as free boundary problems in which the free boundary has contact points. The research will be on developing a well-posedness and regularity theory for such problems that in particular characterizes singularities at contact points. For more information regarding Dr. Gnann's research, please visit www.manuelgnann.com
The appointment is for a duration of 18 months. The starting date is November 1, 2023.
The project is funded by NWO M-1 grant AnaCon (awared to Dr. Gnann) and includes a generous budget for travel, inviting visitors, participating in conferences, etc. The salary is determined according to pay scale 10 of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities, see:
Depending on experience and qualification of the successful cadidate, the salary ranges from 2,960€ to 4,670€ per month. Additionally, an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% year-end bonus is paid. In many cases, for applicants from abroad a tax reduction applies, see:
The successful candidate will focus on carrying out mathematical research. If requested by the candidate, there will be the possibility to teach (in English) but the teaching load shall be kept light. Communication will be in English. If desired by the candidate, there is the possiblity to take Dutch language courses offered by the Language Center for Languages and Academic Skills of TU Delft, see:
The candidate should
- hold a doctorate in mathematics or a closely related area or have a definite defence date before November 2023,
- have a profound knowledge on the mathematical analysis of partial differential equations,
- have excellent proficiency in oral and written English,
- be able to work in teams.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. TU Delft offers a customisable compensation package, a discount on health insurance and sport memberships, and a monthly work costs contribution. Flexible work schedules can be arranged.
For international applicants we offer the Coming to Delft Service and Partner Career Advice to assist you with your relocation. An International Children's Centre offers childcare and there is an international primary school.
Are you interested in this vacancy? Please apply before March 31, 2023, via the application button and upload:
- a cover letter explaining the candidates scientific interests and why they connect to the topic of the project,
- the most recent CV,
- a research statement of preferrably no more than 5 pages,
- a publication list,
- copies of academic transcripts,
- contact details of at least two, preferrably three senior scientists who have been contacted beforehand for a recommendation letter regarding the candidates scientific work,
- the candidates bachelor's, master's, and PhD thesis (if available online, a link is sufficient).
Review of applications will start on February 20, 2023. Applications sent before February 28, 2023, will be given full consideration. Later applications may still be considered until the position is filled.
A pre-employment screening can be part of the selection procedure.
You can apply online. We will not process applications sent by email and/or post.
Please do not contact us for unsolicited services.
Inquiries regarding the application procedure should be sent to C.Hitzert@tudelft.nl
For scientific inquiries regarding this vacancy, please contact Dr. M.V. Gnann via email:
In order to simplify communication, please add the prefix [AnaCon] or the vacancy number to the email's subject. Before inquiring, please visit the web page:
for general information about Dr. Gnann's research.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Delft University of Technology
- Postal Code
- 2628 CD
- Mekelweg 2
Where to apply
- Mekelweg 2
- Postal Code
- 2628 CD