- Utrecht University
- Research Field
- Language sciences
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Not Applicable
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
We are looking to hire a researcher with a PhD in Islamic or Middle East Studies (or a related field, such as Art History or Religious Studies, with a specialization in Islam) with an interest and expertise in material and/or sensory history, preferably of the period of the ‘gunpowder empires’, ca. 1500-1900.
In addition to fluency in English, the successful candidate have research-level expertise in the primary language(s) of their research area. In the course of their employment, the candidate will be expected to carry out research and contribute to the activities of the research community of Islamic and Religious Studies at the Department of Philosophy and Religious Studies at Utrecht University.
The candidate will be expected to engage in the departments ongoing research activities in the area of Islamic material and sensory history.
This is a full-time research position in which candidates will pursue their own line of research but also participate in the co-editorship of a multi-author volume.
The successful candidate will:
- have completed, prior to appointment, a PhD degree in a field relevant to the advertised position; or have a PhD dissertation in one of these fields already accepted by the PhD committee;
- be fluent in reading either Ottoman, Persian, or Urdu; knowledge of several of these language or additional knowledge of Arabic will be considered an advantage;
- have demonstrable experience or interest in material and/or sensory history;
- have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team, with good organisational and communication skills.
We offer a temporary position (1.0 FTE) for one year in an international working environment. After positive evaluation, this can be extended for another year. The gross salary - depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,703 and €3,974 (scale 10/11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities) per month for a full-time employment. Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year.
In addition, Utrecht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including an attractive retirement scheme, (partly paid) parental leave and flexible employment conditions (multiple choice model). For more information, please visit working at Utrecht University.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
Please submit your application via the ‘apply’ button. Candidates wishing to apply for this position are asked to submit a letter of application, together with a CV and two abstracts for articles or book chapters they will research and write during their postdoc.
Starting date: 1 August 2023 or 1 September 2023 at the latest.
For more information about this position, please contact Professor Christian Lange (Chair of Arabic and Islamic Studies), via C.R.Lange@uu.nl.
- Website for additional job details
- Number of offers available
- Utrecht University
- Postal Code
- 3512 BL
- Janskerkhof 13
Where to apply
- Domplein 29
- Postal Code
- 3512 JE