ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversitat de Barcelona
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceEngineeringGeographyInformation science
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/09/2021 00:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONSpain › Barcelona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
FBG project number
Breaking barriers between Science and Heritage approaches to Levantine Rock Art through Archaeology, Heritage Science and IT
Inés Domingo Sanz
History and Archaeology
LArcHer is an interdisciplinary research project led by ICREA Research Professor Inés Domingo. LArcHer project aims at pioneering a new and more comprehensive way of understanding one of Europe’s most extraordinary bodies of prehistoric art, awarded Unesco World Heritage status in 1998: Levantine rock art (LRA). The ground-breaking nature of the project relies on combining a multidisciplinary (Archaeology, Heritage Science and IT) and multiscale approach (from microanalysis to landscape perspectives) to gain a holistic view of this art. It also aims at closing existing gaps between science and heritage mainstreams, to better understand the values and threats affecting this tradition and bring about a change in the way we understand, care, use and manage this millenary legacy. One of the key aims of this project, related to this position, is to explore the changing geographies and location patterns of Levantine rock art, and its relationship to the natural and cultural surrounding landscapes and build a database management system to facilitate comparative analysis. We also aim at experimenting with cutting-edge IT for rock art recording to lead LRA virtualization.
Responsibilities and tasks within the project: the successful applicant will be expected to:
- Design and development of GIS applications to manage project data
- Cartographic map production and spatial data analysis for project deliverables
- Collect field data and manage spatial data (archaeology, natural resources and environmental information)
- Prepare site and artifacts 3D models for project deliverables.
- Explore new formulas to obtain more detailed, objective, metrically accurate and comprehensive documentation of this heritage, for research, conservation and dissemination.
- Adapt site and artifacts 3D models for online visualization
- Management tasks for LArcHer project (max. 10% of the time) including drafting applications for permits and formal reports, among others.
- Collaborate in the presentation of project results in international and national conferences and publications.
Other duties as required
Gross salary per year
28.000/30.000 euros depending on experience
- Application letter describing previous experience in the field (GIS analysis/3D modelling)
- Curriculum vitae, etc.
- 2 reference letters
Send your application to:
Job Application – IT. Geospatial analyst (GIS) and 3D modelling
- A BS/BA in IT technologies (Surveying and Geomatics Eng., Geographic Information Science or related fields), Geography or Archaeology with additional IT certificates from accredited institutions
- Demonstrated experience in GIS and 3D modelling
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a research team
- Ability to produce outcomes according to strict deadlines
Foreign language skills.
- Preselection of candidates fulfilling the requested criteria
Candidates shortlisted will be interviewed
Priority will be given to people with disabilities ( Law 89/2015 of June 2, reserve of quota 2% in favour of people with disabilities in companies of 50 or more people)
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: ExcellentSPANISH: Excellent
- Minimum of a BS/BA in IT technologies (Surveying and Geomatics Eng., Geographic Information Science or related fields), Geography or Archaeology with additional IT certificates from accredited institutions
- Proven theoretical and practical knowledge and experience in geo-spatial information technologies (GIS) and 3D modelling and adaptation to create 3D web content. The aim is to create archaeological sites and remains 3D models.
- Professional experience using software tools and applications for GIS (e.g. ArcGIS, GVGIs or similar) and 3D modelling (e.g. Agisoft PhotoScan, Blender and similar).
- Previous experience with relational database development
- Must be able to work independently and capable to adapt IT knowledge to archaeology
- Fluent in Spanish and English (or commitment to learn Spanish to become fluent early during the contract)
- Fieldwork availability (several seasons per year for data collection in remote and sometimes physically challenging locations)
- Driving licence (Levantine rock art sites are located in remote areas and the candidate has to be independent to access the sites, if needed)
Full time commitment to the project
EURAXESS offer ID: 677850
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.