ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversità degli Studi di Padova
RESEARCH FIELDEngineering › Communication engineeringEngineering › Electronic engineeringPhysics › Applied physicsPhysics › OpticsPhysics › Quantum mechanics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE09/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Padova
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK-
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956071
AppQInfo will provide a world class training in photonic Quantum Information Processing (pQIP), and prepare an excellent cohort of Early Stage Researchers to become the future R&D staff of Europe’s emerging markets in this area.
Quantum Information Processing (QIP) is a key ingredient in Europe’s future Quantum Communication Infrastructure; it underpins quantum communications and quantum simulations, the first two pillars of the H2020 Quantum Flagship. QIP will revolutionise information technology, providing higher quality, speed and unconditional security, not possible with classical technologies. AppQInfo focusses on QIP in state-of-the-art integrated photonics, one of five Key Enabling Technologies for European Industry. Integrated photonics permits the creation, manipulation and readout of photonic quantum states in a highly controlled manner, with high speeds and low losses.
The broad objectives of AppQInfo are: to create an excellent training of ESRs in the field of pQIP that is both interdisciplinary and intersectoral; to develop innovative, entrepreneurial ESRs with great career prospects; to maximise the exploitation and dissemination of our research; to engage the public through several outreach activities; to consolidate a wide expertise in the field of pQIP; to create a long-lasting collaboration network of top-class research units and industrial entities.
Together, our 15 interdisciplinary research projects will: Work towards feasible long-distance quantum communications from urban-scale networks to satellite-based systems using various data encoding; Study quantum photonic circuits towards their quantum transport properties and quantum transforms they implement; Exploit these platforms for machine learning applications, such as building all-optical artificial neural networks, and applying them for quantum simulations; Develop enabling technologies of sources and detectors of multiphoton quantum states and polaritonic logic gates.
The project consortium embraces 15 excellent European institutions.
One position related to experimental activities is now available. The research topic of this position is the following: ESR4: Exploitation of entanglement in quantum networks.
Successful candidate will be offered:
• a full-time 36 months employment contract/PhD student position. ERS will be primarily hosted by the University of Padova (Department of Information Engineering) with stays in partner institutions (secondments) for a duration of up to 30% of her/his recruitment duration. The ESR is expected to join the University of Padova within November 2021 (estimated).
• a comprehensive, interactive and international training programme covering innovative and stateof-the-art approaches to the field of Photonic Quantum Information Processing.
• a series of research-specific, complementary and soft skills, that involve both the academic and industry sectors and are tailor-made to prepare young researchers for their future careers.
• a competitive salary in accordance with the MSCA rules: 1) the living and mobility allowances amount to 4,013.88 euros per person-month (Italian correction coefficient already applicated). This gross salary amount covers the employment with social security coverage and the private expenses of the researcher due to her/his private mobility. The net salary, according to the current Italian taxation, is approximately 2,850.00 euros per person-month. 2) an extra gross family allowance of 500.00 euros per person-month is due if the researcher has a family at the time of recruitment. In this context, “family” is defined as persons linked to the researcher by marriage, or a relationship with equivalent status to a marriage recognised by the legislation of the country where this relationship was formalised; or dependent children who are actually being maintained by the researcher. The family status of researcher will be determined at the time of her/his (first) recruitment in the project and will not evolve during the project lifetime of the action.
Applicants need to fully respect the following requirements to be considered in this selection:
• candidates should be, at the time of recruitment (i.e. first day of the employment as indicated in the contract), in the first FOUR years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers and have NOT yet been awarded a doctoral degree. This is measured from the date when they obtained the degree, which would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate.
• candidates must NOT have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Italy for more than 12 months in the 36 months immediately prior to their recruitment (short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account).
• by 30th September 2021 at the latest, candidates must have earned MSc degree (or equivalent) related to the scope of the position (preferably MSc degree in physics).
• candidates should be proficient in written and spoken English. Successful candidates may need to provide an English test (e.g. IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge English). They may be exempt if they are a national of a majority native-English speaking country, or have qualifications/degree that has been taught and assessed in English.
In order to apply for the position, candidates are invited to fill in the online form available on this link https://forms.gle/xwKJdksKrDq7rxqu9 (google account is required to access). Please note also that candidates will be requested to provide the mandatory documents/data as detailed in the job offer.
The applications will be pre-selected according to the essential criteria of the ITN project/advertised criteria and subsequent short-listing of the candidates will be interviewed via a teleconference system.
The candidates will be informed of the interview outcome by email as soon as possible after the interview date. Successful candidate will have to send a formal email notifying acceptance or rejection.
The selection will be carried out by a Commission formed from supervisors/senior scientists from the AppQInfo Partnership. The selection process will be completed approximately within the end of September 2021.
Candidates who would like more information/details can contact the following email addresses, taking care to write this text “AppQInfo project: request information” in the subject:
• email@example.com (regarding administrative issues)
• firstname.lastname@example.org (regarding details of the research position).
Please see the job offer for more details.
Please see the job offer for more details.
EURAXESS offer ID: 676245
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.