ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCH FIELDChemistry › BiochemistryEnvironmental science › Earth science
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/10/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE01/04/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER101034309
Call opens August 1st and closes October 31st 2021
Thematic area and supervisor
This SEAS postdoctoral research fellow position is connected to the thematic area of marine biogeochemical hazards under warming, ocean acidification, and deoxygenation.
The position is open to an incoming candidate, see mobility rules. The successful candidate will be employed at the Geophysical Institute and included in the research group on biogeochemistry as well as the Research theme ‘Carbon System’ at the Bjerknes Center for Climate research.
About the SEAS fellowship programme
Shaping European Research Leaders for Marine Sustainability (SEAS) is a postdoctoral research fellowship programme for 37 fellows launched and managed by the University of Bergen. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 101034309.
In this first call, open August 1 - October 31 (2021), we invite talented experienced researchers to apply for 18 fellowships. Successful candidates will be employed in fixed-term full-time postdoctoral research fellow positions at UiB.
The SEAS programme offers
- high-quality inter- and transdisciplinary research and training opportunities in the area of marine sustainability supported by a supervision and inter-sectoral mentoring scheme
- opportunity to transfer knowledge and skills between disciplines, organisations and sectors
- a regional ecosystem of marine actors
- structured skill-based training
- high-quality working conditions
- personal career support
- academic freedom
- equal opportunities
- Fixed-term 3-year contract as a postdoctoral research fellow at UiB. The UiB-contract may, under certain conditions, be extended by up to one year if a fellow acquires sufficient funding from other sources than SEAS.
- Salary at pay grade 61 (code 1352/pay range 24, alternative 5) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 553 500 (approx. € 55.000 depending on exchange rate). Further promotions are made according to length of service.
- Welfare benefits* and social benefits including pension-saving, occupational injury insurance, full salary during sick leave for 52 weeks, and paid parental leave**.
- Extension of the position term (work contract) due to sick leave and parental leave.
- Norwegian language courses free of charge.
- High standards for working hours, holidays, place of work, health, and safety.
- Access to specific training activities exclusively provided within the framework of the SEAS programme.
- An individual research budget of minimum € 300 per month for 3 years is guaranteed, and an additional € 300 per month can be applied for, for activities such as secondment, travels, joint events, etc.
- Outgoing fellows will receive full coverage of travel costs for attending the mandatory gatherings (in compliance with UiB-routines for travel procurement and reimbursement).
*) Subject to membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. For non-EU outgoing fellows, individual benefit agreement must be considered.
**) Right to paid parental leave requires 6 months paid work before first day of leave. See full requirements.
Eligible applicants will be evaluated on transparent evaluation criteria by international experts. No restrictions by nationality, age, gender, ethnicity, disability/special needs, or social status will apply. To be considered eligible for academic review, applications must adhere to the following programme requirements:
- Applications must be submitted through the Jobbnorge portal and include all mandatory elements (see below)
- Applicants must hold a PhD degree (or an equivalent degree) in a relevant field prior to the application deadline (if you have not yet received your PhD diploma, you must document that you have defended your thesis successfully).
- Applicants cannot previously have been employed as a postdoctoral fellow at UiB.
- The research proposal must be relevant to marine sustainability.
- Applicants must have a high degree of proficiency in English (self-assessed in the CV and demonstrated in the application).
- SEAS mobility rules (if the successful candidate is an outgoing fellow, there is a mandatory return period of 12-18 months at UiB).
- The application and relevant documents must be in English.
We anticipate the whole evaluation procedure to take approximately 4 months from application deadline. Eligible applicants will be evaluated by three international experts and assessed against criteria addressing excellence, impact, implementation, quality of the researcher and training, knowledge transfer, and networking opportunities. Details are stated in the Guide for applicants.
If selected, you must be able to take up the position within four months after receiving the offer unless another concrete start date is approved by the SEAS-administration. Before applying we recommend you familiarise yourself with current visa and work permit regulations for Norway (incoming candidates) or other host country (for outgoing candidates). Employment (work permit) is subject to approval under national export control legislation.
About The University of Bergen (UiB)
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres.
The University of Bergen (UiB) is Norway’s largest marine university, with research and education of a high international standard and several world leading research environments.
Marine collaboration among the academic, business, government, and civil society (e.g., NGOs) sectors is particularly strong in the Bergen region, given the city’s long history as a maritime port and trading centre. UiB’s campus-area, Marineholmen, is a marine hotspot in Europe, with over 150 companies and organisations collaborating in seafood, energy, subsea technology, and other maritime activities. Many of these are partners of the SEAS programme.
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Applicants must hold a PhD degree (or an equivalent degree) in a relevant field prior to the application deadline (if you have not yet received your PhD diploma, you must document that you have defended your thesis successfully).
It is crucial that you read both the Jobbnorge advert and the Guide for Applicants before starting the online application process. All applications along with the required attachments must be uploaded via our electronic recruiting system Jobbnorge (see link in Where to Apply).
EURAXESS offer ID: 668413
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.