ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE11/08/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONPortugal › Vila Real
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE13/09/2021
The University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (UTAD) opens a call for one (1) Research Grant for PhD students, in Social Sciences, in the frame of the R&D unit Center for Transdisciplinary Studies for Development, funded by UIDP/04011/2020, under the following conditions:
The candidate must hold a PhD (completed within the last three years) in Social Sciences and must have demonstrable advanced skills in planning, organising and implementing participatory methods and approaches with different actors and stakeholders.*
Required skills include:
- Demonstrable skills on the design, planning and implementing of participatory and deliberative approaches, methods and techniques*
- Demonstrable skills to extract, systematise, integrate, and analyse scientific empirical evidence generated by different ontologies, approaches and methods*
- Ability to plan, organise and facilitate the implementation of transition and backcasting scenarios with common people and different stakeholders
- Experience to lead and to sustain a living lab structure in real territories, including ability to engage people in collaborative settings with a long-term perspective, and excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate problems and people demotivation and to develop solutions to keep participants motivate in on-going co-creation processes
- Ambition to develop innovation conceptual and/or analytical frameworks oriented towards the advance of transdisciplinary approach, methods and tools
- Fluency in both written and spoken English
- Motivated self-starter and results oriented
- Experience and openness towards interdisciplinary research and social sciences approaches
- The post-doctoral research is carried out in a host entity (CETRAD) different from the entity where the research work leading to the award of the doctoral degree was carried out*
- Driving licence and availability to make regular trips to the territory where the living lab will be located*
We offer a 28-months postdoctoral position to work in the development of the DATA4LOWDENSity COLab, a smart living lab aiming at co-creating place-based territorial intelligence to support low-density territories’ smart sustainable transitions. This lab is being developed by the CETRAD (Centre for Transdisciplinary Development Studies), based at the UTAD (University of Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro) in Vila Real, Portugal, together with other partners, including I&D and territory entities. DATA4LOWDENSity COLab will develop an innovative approach to create territorial intelligence supportive of best-fitted and place-tailored smart sustainable development agendas directly integrating citizens in its conception and oriented to rise up people place-based wellbeing. By extracting insightful understanding from big data and citizens’ subjective thought, place-based territorial intelligence will show helpful to support planning, policy design, and decision-making in the low density territories, comprising rural areas and small and medium-sized cities. Its mission is the creation of usable data-driven knowledge enabling the disclosure of hidden territorial micro and mesoscale patterns, dynamics, and trends that reach beyond the lens of the “region” contributing for the development of mission-oriented policies focused on the rise of the people and places’ well-being and to reverse territorial exclusion and social (and political) discontentment.
Key responsibilities and main tasks
The postdoctoral research fellow will lead the development of the “living lab” component of the DATA4LOWDENSity COLab supported by his/her senior researcher’s supervisors. The project team will comprise a total of 3 postdoctoral research fellows and one PhD student fully dedicated, will be contributed by a group of senior researchers of the CETRAD, and encompass a group of PhD students developing their PhD thesis lined up with the Colab goals. His/her main tasks comprise:
- Designing and coordinating the “living lab” in perfect articulation with the “smart lab” component of the DATA4LOWDENsity COLab
- Identifying, contacting and engaging citizens and stakeholders in the living lab project with a long-run perspective
- Obtaining an in-depth knowledge of the territorial context where the living lab will be settled through filed work and the ability of integrated heterogeneous data and qualitative insights from available publications and studies.
- Designing, planning and organising participatory and deliberative approaches, methods and techniques, according to a temporal strategy enabling the living lab to identify sharable problems and work on place-based solutions and futures wished by people and stakeholders (business, NGOs, local government, I&D actors, and other found to be relevant)
- Assembling subjective knowledge and information co-created with the living lab tool in a way that it can be converted and integrated in the smart lab
- Contributing to data generation and analysis respecting the identification of spatially and qualitatively relevant micro and meso-scale patterns, dynamics and trends regarding the places’ resilience facing major challenges identified by macro-data and data-driven scenarios
- Contributing to the design of visualised data-driven scenarios showing foreseen futures (in next 20, 30 and 50 years) for the landscape (e.g., land use patterns and trends), the urban system (e.g., patterns and trends regarding demographics, infrastructures, access to public services, mobility and territorial interactions), the territory economy (e.g., patterns and trends in agrifood value chains, tourism, health and wellbeing, business models, integration in global flows, newcomers, etc.).
- Leading and participating in the writing of scientific papers
- Co-leading the DATA4LOWDENsity COLab communication, interaction and dissemination activities
Applicable legislation and regulations:
Law N.º 40/2004, of 18 August (Statute of Scientific Research Fellow), amended by DL 123/2019 of 28 August; FCT, IP Research Grant Regulation, approved by Regulation N.º 234/2012, published in the II Series of the Diário da República of June 25, 2012, amended and republished by Regulation No. 326/2013, published in the II Series of the Diário da Republic of July 27, 2013, amended by Regulation No. 339/2015, published in the II Series of the Diário da República of June 17, 2015 and Law No. 71/2018 (State Budget Law for 2019) and by Regulation No. 950/2019, published in the II Series of the Diário da República of December 16, 2019, and the Regulation of Research Grants of the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro - Dispatch RT.36/2011, of July 6, of Mr. Rector, published in Diário da República by Order No. 9157/2011 (II Series), of July 19 in its current wording.
The work will be developed at the CETRAD (Centre for Transdisiciplinary Develpment Studies) at the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, under the scientific guidance of Professor Doctor Livia Maria Costa Madureira, co-supervised by Professor Doctor Octavio José Rio Do Sacramento and Carla Suzana Da Encarnação Marques.
Duration of scholarship:
The fellowship will last for 28 months, starting in September 2021. The scholarship contract may be renewed, and the total duration may not exceed 28 months.
Monthly maintenance allowance amount:
The scholarship amount corresponds to €1646, according to the table of scholarships awarded directly by the FCT, I.P. in the country (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores). The period of payment of the scholarship is monthly and through bank deposit, check or another equivalent method.
The selection methods to be used will be the following: Motivation letter, Experience with participatory and deliberative approaches, methods and techniques, valuing the design and leadership of initiatives involving systematic processes of public participation, Scientific publications, number and quality (factor impact and citescore, when the IF is not available) and Interview (only accessible to the 3 candidates who obtain the highest scores in the sum of the 3 previous criteria, with the respective valuation of 15%, 35%, 30% and 20%.
Composition of the Selection Jury:
President - Livia Maria Costa Madureira
Member - Octavio José Rio Do Sacramento
Member - Carla Suzana Da Encarnação Marques
Form of advertising/notification of results:
The final results of the evaluation will be publicized through a ranked list posted on the UTAD Campus Online Page (http://www.campus.utad.pt/bolsasinvestigacao/candidaturas), with the candidate being approved notified via email.
If the decision to be taken is unfavourable to the granting of the requested scholarship, the candidates have a period of 10 working days, after the aforementioned disclosure, to express their opinion, if desired, in a prior hearing, under the terms provided for in the Code of Administrative Procedure.
Application deadline and form of submission of applications:
The tender is open from 29-07-2021 to 11-08-2021.
Applications must be formalized, obligatorily, by sending an application form accompanied by the following documents: Curriculum Vitae [proving the above-mentioned requirements]; Indication of the following data: citizen card number, tax identification number – TIN, date of birth, mobile phone number and email address; motivation letter; declaration of honour (to be requested by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) and documentary evidence of the requested requirements.
The application must be made through the UTAD Campus Online Page, in the Research Grants section, following the instructions:
• Select the scholarship you intend to apply for.
• When selecting the “Apply” option, you will be redirected to the application page where you must complete and submit the respective form.
Equality of opportunities:
The candidate has the right to equal opportunities and treatment, and may not be privileged, benefited, prejudiced, deprived of any right or exempt from any duty due, in particular, to ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, family situation, economic situation, education, origin or social condition, genetic heritage, reduced work capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological convictions and union membership.
EURAXESS offer ID: 665774
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.