ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of the Aegean(UoA)
RESEARCH FIELDInformation science › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE29/08/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONGreece › Karlovasi
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE10/01/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955569
Are you passionate about research with a societal impact? Do you want to be part of an excellent, world-leading team of engaged open data researchers and practitioners? Check out this position!
This fully funded PhD position is part of the EU Horizon 2020 Marie Sklodowska Curie ITN project entitled "ODECO: Towards a Sustainable Open Data ECOsystem" (see www.odeco-research.eu). ODECO is a four-year project involving 15 PhD projects covering each a specific part of the open data ecosystem. The central aim of the ODECO consortium network is to train the next generation of creative and innovative early stage open data researchers, to unlock their creative and innovative potential to address current and future challenges in the creation of user driven, circular and inclusive open data ecosystems.
Current developments in the field of open data are characterised as highly fragmented. Open data ecosystems are often developed in different domains in isolation of each other and with little involvement of potential users, resulting in approaches that significantly limit open data reusability for users. This reduces innovation and the ability to create new valued added goods and services. Isolated domains also undermine interoperability for users acting as a barrier to data sharing. Efforts are also uncoordinated in open data training and research, where multidisciplinary approaches are scant.
Bringing together different sectors (research, private sector, government, non-profit) and different perspectives (public administration, law, business, engineering), ODECO aims to address the central challenge of realizing a user driven, circular and inclusive open data ecosystem. Through its novel research and training programme, ODECO will provide early stage researchers with relevant open data knowledge, skills and research experience.
The offered PhD position is to design and develop tools that improve the technical interoperability of open government and non-government data at platform level, including platforms/ portals within (e.g. national open data portals and the European data portal) and between domains. Objectives are:
- To identify the current technological commons used in the open data domain including DKAN,CKAN and domain specific applications.
- To review different tools and methodologies for the analysis of different kinds of data.
- To assemble and develop manuals for each identified and developed tool ensuring technical interoperability.
- To design and develop a checker for the identified data enabling quick view from the original source; the degree of possible combination with other identified datasets in terms of data and metadata included in the datasets. The checker application will also measure the technical characteristics of each platform providing open data (licenses, quality etc.).
To design and implement an open data integrator that will address the technical interoperability of open data from different domains.
During the PhD, the candidate will conduct this research and prepare scientific articles presenting the research at conferences and in journals.
All benefits of Horizon Marie Curie ITN projects are applied.
A full-time fixed-term contract is offered. Marie Curie ITNs provide competitive financial support to the ESR including: a competitive monthly living and mobility allowance, coverage of the expenses related to the participation of the ESR in research and training activities (contribution to research-related costs, meetings, conference attendance, training actions, etc.). The recruited researcher will have a regular contract with the same rights and obligations as any other staff member of the company.
The candidate should start as early as possible. A late start date might reduce the employment period.
Furthermore, to enable the candidate to conduct his/her research successfully, University of the Aegean offers personal and professional training courses in the form of a graduate and summer school as well as personal training courses, in which the candidate will participate (the fee is paid by the project and there are no additional costs for this). Furthermore, in addition to her/his scientific supervisors, the applicant will receive an independent senior researcher as mentor, to aid her/his personal career development.
As a Marie Curie ITN researcher, you will have the opportunity to conduct practical internships at world leading universities and case studies at excellent open data companies (for example, DERILINX) through the EU ITN network.
To apply, you should submit via email (email@example.com):
- A short cover letter explaining your personal motivation in pursuing a PhD as part of ODECO, including how you see the PhD fitting into your career trajectory
- A CV, which should include details of your eligibility (degree and residency)
- Transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
- A sample of writing, e.g., master thesis, scientific publications, professional or popular science writing
- English language certificate(s)
- 2–3 recommendation letters or contact details of references
- Other information for consideration
The first round of interviews will probably take place between September 6 and September 23. The second round of interviews will probably take place between October 11 and October 22.
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDInformation science
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELInformation science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
University of the Aegean will recruit prospective talented researchers of any nationality, gender, culture, religion, sexual orientation or age.
Since this PhD position is part of a Horizon Marie Curie ITN project, several hard selection criteria apply to be eligible:
- You comply with the early-stage researcher definition: at the time of recruitment (January 2022), you must be in the first four years (full‐time equivalent research experience) of your research career and have not been awarded a doctoral degree.
- You comply with the mobility rule, meaning that you must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Greece for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before the recruitment date (January 2022).
- You are expected to be embedded for 3 months at other organizations in Denmark and Italy in the consortium as part of placements and assignments; secondments.
In addition, the candidate must have a master's degree in public administration, information science, engineering, or a similar degree with an academic level equivalent to the master's degree in engineering. Experience with qualitative and/or quantitative research methods is expected and experience with quantitative research methods is 'nice to have'.
This research profile includes individuals doing research under supervision in industry, research institutes or universities. It includes doctoral candidates. Researchers with this profile will:
- Carry out research under supervision;
- Have the ambition to develop knowledge of research methodologies and discipline;
- Have demonstrated a good understanding of a field of study;
- Have demonstrated the ability to produce data under supervision;
- Be capable of critical analysis, evaluation and synthesis of new and complex ideas;
- Be able to explain the outcome of research (and value thereof) to research colleagues.
- Desirable competences
- Develops integrated language, communication and environment skills, especially in an international context.
Research Experiences Information Science Open Data
Additional Requirements Statistical Analysis Application development
EURAXESS offer ID: 665553
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.