ORGANISATION/COMPANYVlaams Instituut voor de Zee
RESEARCH FIELDGeosciences › Geology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE20/08/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Oostende
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
Join our Research team as a geologist or geophysicist for the FWO SBO project ‘TESTEREP’ (TEsterep REconstructed for Policy making and Public engagement), which aims to reconstruct and map the evolution of part of the Flemish Seascape since c. 5000 BP.
You will perform research on the offshore paleo-geomorphological change off the Flemish coastline, in an area where once a peninsula (Testerep) was located. Within the larger project, offshore geophysical and sedimentological data will be combined with other intertidal and terrestrial geological and archaeological data to extend our spatio-temporal understanding of the evolution and demise of this former Testerep peninsula. Results of these data will be communicated to various stakeholders, including the wider public.
- We offer a challenging job in the dynamic environment of VLIZ.
- A contract of definite duration (42 to 48 months, depending on experience, seniority and start date) as a (post-doctoral) researcher. The salary follows the salary scales of scientific personnel in the Flemish Government.
- Fringe benefits: holiday pay, end-of-year bonus, meal vouchers, bike allowance, free public transport for home-work commuting and an attractive holiday arrangement.
For a full description of the job and the selection process, please visit:
All necessary information van be found on:
Required Research Experiences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELGeosciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Educational and professional qualifications
- PhD in (marine) geology, geophysics, or earth/marine sciences or equivalent research experience.
- Experience in the use of GIS software and specific software packages for the interpretation of multibeam and seismic data.
- Experience in the acquisition and interpretation of high-resolution seismic data.
- Evidence of participation in field surveys, using seabed mapping techniques.
- Experience in processing of geophysical data.
- Experience in the acquisition and interpretation of core data.
- Good communication skills in written and oral English.
- Ability to work as an individual and as part of a group.
- Evidence of working as part of a larger research project.
- Evidence of experience with stakeholder engagement and public outreach.
Research and analogous activities
- Evidence of presentation of research at academic conferences.
- Publication of papers in peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Record of submission of research proposals for external funding.
- Evidence of collaborative research activities.
- Willingness to assist in group research including fieldwork and external seminar delivery.
- Evidence of critical and creative thinking.
- Willingness to learn new skills
- Full current driving licence, valid in Belgium.
Your main responsibilities
- To create a (GIS) database of exiting offshore data and offshore natural and manmade landscape features within the Testerep region;
- To process, interpret and visualize existing and new acoustic sub-bottom data (mostly 2D/3D parametric echosounder);
- To plan, perform and develop strategies for the data acquisition at sea;
- To assist with the collection, analysis and interpretation of sedimentological core data;
- To construct paleogeographic maps;
- To assist with the integration of offshore, intertidal and terrestrial data;
- To extract and provide the necessary parameters needed for morphological/hydrodynamic modeling and digital art outputs;
- To provide general support to the project including preparation of (public) presentations, developing information for publication and media, and organization of consortium and stakeholder meetings.
- To actively participate in project meetings and provide project deliverables (e.g. reports);
- To maintain research output in the form of high-quality peer reviewed publications;
- To present research findings at public events and national and/or international scientific conferences;
- To provide support and assistance to other (VLIZ) staff members in the completion of duties and programs of work;
- To undertake the duties in such a way as to promote the project and enhance the reputation and public profile of VLIZ;
- To undertake any other relevant duties appropriate to the grade and nature of the post.
EURAXESS offer ID: 662113
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.