ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Tartu
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE02/08/2021 18:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONEstonia › Tartu
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
Duties and responsibilities
As an ERA Chair holder you will be pursuing the following goals to advance your career and inspire colleagues
- Establishing and leading a cutting edge and internationally recognized research team in Computational Imaging.
- Building upon and expanding on existing competencies in UTartu, cooperating with other research teams.
- Turning fundamental research into applicable solutions and cooperating with industry.
- Initiating and executing innovative research strategies and projects for the research unit.
- Attracting new team members and inspiring partners in both research and industry.
- Teaching and improving existing curricula in UTartu by introducing new courses in photonics and imaging technologies.
- Supervising post-docs and PhD students.
- Writing proposals and attracting funding on national, European, and international levels.
- Ensuring sufficient outreach by the team to make research understandable to the general public, as well as to industry and policymakers.
See also job description.
PhD in physics or a similar field or equivalent qualification.
- Internationally renowned research in the field of computational imaging, photonics, image processing, computer science or light-based imaging techniques, that includes
- 3+ years of postdoctoral experience in an R&D institution (or equivalent industry experience);
- publications in high impact journals, including publications as lead author (constituting at least the volume of two doctoral theses).
- High proficiency in research planning and management.
- Proven track of raising private or public research funding.
- Advanced teaching and coordination experience at postgraduate and doctoral levels.
Required language skills
Proficiency in English.
Starting at 01.11.2021, temporary contract to 30.06.2025.
Salary: Internationally competitive and motivating salary based on previous experience.
See also UT salary rules.
Project web site: cpci.voog.com/
About university of Tartu: www.ut.ee/en/welcome
About Estonia: www.workinestonia.com/
Project coordinator Kenneth Tuul, MSc email@example.com.
Computational imaging is a rapidly evolving subfield of photonics, which has applications in microscopy, medicine, robotics, remote sensing and astronomy. The range of applications increases with advances in sensor technology, computer algorithms and on-board computing capacity. Computational imaging uses computational methods to enhance the image quality, modalities, resolution or add a spatial dimension to the image beyond the physical or technical limits of the imaging system. By nature, the research is interdisciplinary and embraces the extensive competence of the University of Tartu in optics, spectroscopy, mathematics, computer science and their applications. The field of computational imaging falls under photonics – an application-oriented science of light, which belongs to the Key Enabling Technologies of the European Commission.
What we offer
We offer a career opportunity in the field of photonics and computational imaging. By accepting the challenge, you will establish your own interdisciplinary research group and work with the modern imaging challenges combining the science of light and computer science. In addition to top-notch research, you will develop courses in photonics and lead applied research projects together with industry.
Funding for the Chair holder and the research team is granted in the amount of 2.5 M€ for the next 4 years from the Horizon 2020 Widening ERA Chair project. The funding provides a competitive salary and fully funded positions for the team, budget for setting up the lab, office and lab spaces together with access to cutting edge research infrastructure in modern Physicum. For the Chair holder it is a 4 year full time academic position, which can be extended if successful. Indicative team size would be two researchers, two postdocs and 5-6 PhD students.
The ERA Chair holder and the team has the opportunity to work together with existing strong scientific research teams in UTartu in the fields of optics, spectroscopy, machine vision, remote sensing, robotics, mathematics, and informatics. International curricula in the Faculty of Science and Technology await to host courses in photonics and to provide motivated students in return. Estonian’s famous start-up culture and hi-tech companies open new routes for innovation in both local and global scale.
This position has been awarded funding from the H2020 ERA Chairs program grant no 857627, CIPHR
In order to be considered for the position, the candidate must submit to the UT Human Resources Office (email: firstname.lastname@example.org; employees of the UT should submit their documents via intranet) following documents:
- a letter of application to the Rector,
- a curriculum vitae in the established format,
- a list of research publications (if necessary, enclosing copies or offprints of more important publications),
- a copy of a document (including its annexes) which shows the candidate to hold the required qualification (with authorized translation into Estonian, English or Russian if the credential is not in Estonian, English, Russian, Finnish, Swedish, French, Italian, Ukrainian and Belarussian languages). A candidate can be required to submit the original or a certified copy of the document (including its annexes) showing the candidate to hold the required qualification. If the candidate has acquired the higher education in question abroad, he or she may be required to submit an assessment issued by the Academic Recognition Information Centre (the Estonian ENIC/NARIC) of his or her qualification in respect of the qualification requirements for the position;
- a statement not exceeding 1500 words of the aims to be achieved during the term in the position, and the outline of an action plan for achieving these;
- other materials considered relevant by the candidate (a list of such materials must be included in the application or annexed to it).
Number of copies: 1
Web site for additional job details
EURAXESS offer ID: 658628
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.