ORGANISATION/COMPANYThe Cyprus Institute
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › Nicosia
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
The Cyprus Institute (CyI) is a European non-profit science and technology-oriented Educational and Research Institution based in Cyprus and led by an acclaimed Board of Trustees. The research agenda of the CyI are pursued at its four Research Centres: The Computation-based Science and Technology Research Center (CaSToRC), the Science and Technology in Archaeology and Culture Research Center (STARC), the Energy Environment Water Research Center (EEWRC) and the Climate and Atmospheric Research Center (CARE-C). Considerable cross-center interaction is a characteristic feature of the institute’s culture.
The Cyprus Institute invites applications for a Research Associate (Post-Doctoral Fellow) to pursue research at the interface between materials science modelling and scientific computing. The successful candidate will be actively engaged with ongoing research projects at the Cyprus Institute, and be part of the research team associated with the European Research Area (ERA) Chair in Modelling and Simulation for Engineering Applications (SimEA), led by Prof. Vangelis Harmandaris.
About the SimEA ERA Chair project
The SimEA project aims to consolidate and upgrade the already substantial activity CaSToRC in computational sciences by introducing a computational engineering component. This will be accomplished by attracting and installing an outstanding cluster of researchers, led by a professor of international stature to maximally utilize and upgrade the existing facilities, and pursue a program of research excellence and innovation. The SimEA ERA Chair is funded by a prestigious EU ERA Chair award of 2.5 Million Euro, a five-year grant.
The SimEA Research Associate (Post-Doctoral Fellow) will pursue research in Computational Science and Engineering with emphasis on multi-scale modelling, simulations and application of data analytics approaches for the study of complex nanostructured materials. The selected applicant will be integrated in the team managed by the ERA Chair and will be actively engaged with the on-going research at CaSToRC associated with HPC, Data Analytics methods and the development of novel algorithms for large-scale computational infrastructures.
The appointment is for a period of 2 years, with the option of renewal subject to the needs of the Cyprus Institute and the availability of funds. An internationally competitive remuneration package will be offered, which is commensurate with the level of experience of the successful candidate. Travel funding will also be provided for attending training events and presenting at prestigious conferences globally.
Responsibilities/activities to be involved in:
The successful candidate will be engaged in one of the following activities, according to the area of specialisation:
- Multi-scale computational modelling of complex nanostructured materials, such as thin films, polymer nanocomposites, interfacial systems, proteins and peptides.
- Development and application of Data Analytics and Machine Learning methods for the development of atomistic and mesoscopic models for complex molecular systems.
In addition, the SimEA Post-Doctoral Fellow will be involved in:
- Developing algorithms and codes for simulations/data analytics in engineering applications.
- Performing large-scale computations in computational engineering.
- Analysing results and assume a leading role in the preparation of research manuscripts.
- Writing proposals for accessing computational resources.
For full consideration, interested applicants should process their application using the Exelsys job platform based on the instructions given. Applicants should submit a curriculum vitae, a letter of interest, and three references (including the referees’ contact information). All documentation should be in English and in PDF format. For further information, please contact Kathy Christoforou (email@example.com)
Please note that applications, which do not follow the announcement’s guidelines, will not be considered.
Recruitment will continue until the position is filled.
Contact person: Kathy Christoforou
- A PhD degree in Physical Sciences, Mathematics, Life Sciences, Computational Engineering or Computer Science
- Previous experience in molecular simulations and/or data analytics methods for complex molecular systems.
- Previous experience in at least two of the following areas: multi-scale modelling, molecular dynamics, statistical methods, data analytics, and stochastic (Monte Carlo) methods.
- Publications in high-impact factor journals.
- Participation at top international scientific conferences
- Excellent knowledge of statistics and data analytics methods;
- Excellent knowledge of programming languages such as C, C++, Fortran90, and Python;
- An understanding of High Performance Computing (OpenMP, OpenAcc, MPI, CUDA);
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team;
- High-level communication and strong scientific and technical writing skills;
- Proficiency in oral and written English;
- High level of organizational, analytical and problem solving skills.
EURAXESS offer ID: 658530
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.