ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversidad Politécnica de Madrid
RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciencesChemistryComputer scienceEngineeringEnvironmental scienceMathematicsOtherTechnology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/08/2021 14:00 - Europe/Athens
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
OFFER STARTING DATE17/01/2022
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEFP7 / People-Marie Curie Actions COFUND
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER945139
Are you an Early Stage Researcher with a focus on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)?
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM), the eldest Spanish technological university, specialized in Engineering and Architecture, is considered one of the main sources of high-impact knowledge at European level.
You will have the opportunity to complete an International Industrial Doctorate in Madrid, the vibrant capital of Spain. You will enjoy a 36-month employment contract to complete a PhD degree co-supervised by a UPM professor and an industrial supervisor from one Spanish leading company.
You will be part of the SDGine COFUND project, a research and innovation action working towards developing transformative technologies and innovation for healthy people and cities, focusing on the SDGs, and financed jointly by the European Union under a Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement and Spanish industrial leaders.
Employment conditions will be aligned with the “Charter & Code” for researchers, Spanish and UPM regulations. The employment contracts will be of the type “Predoctoral Contract” (Model 404, full-time) with UPM.
The salaries will comprise personal income tax arrangements, social security coverage (spouse and children will be also included in the Spanish Healthcare System), and social benefits (parental leave with full pay, contribution to pension funds, severance payment, unemployment benefits, and health and accident insurance).
Suspension of the contract will be possible according to the conditions established in the Spanish Workers’ Stand (temporal incapacity, maternity, paternity, or adoption).
UPM will place particular emphasis on the work and family life balance: flexible working time options, teleworking (including infrastructure, laptops, and software), reduced flexible working hours for legal guardianship reasons, summer camps for children, and extended holidays.
Applicants must, at the call deadline, comply with the following eligibility criteria (evidence must be provided):
- Research experience - Early-Stage Researcher (ESR): at the date of recruitment, candidates must be in the first four years (Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Mobility criterion (MSCA Mobility rule): i) Researchers may be of any nationality; ii) Applicants may not have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the call deadline (time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention, compulsory national service and/or short stays such as holidays are not considered).
- Degree: candidates must have completed the studies that lead to an official university degree from any country of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) awarding 300 ECTS, of which at least 60 ECTS must correspond to master level. Or they must have completed a degree in a University not adapted to the EHEA that gives access to doctoral studies. The verification of an equivalent level of studies to the former ones will be made by UPM when the application procedure starts.
- Language: candidates must have a demonstrable level of English (B2 or higher). Evidence must be provided upon application, with one of the following certificates: University of Cambridge, IELTS, or TOEFL. Exemptions: English-native speakers, or applicants who have pursued their bachelor or postgraduate studies at countries where English is the official language.
The selection process comprises three stages. After each of them, provisional ranked lists of candidates for each PhD thesis topic will be available online, and candidates will be notified by e-mail. Applicants will have 10 working days for allegations (redress procedure) before the definitive ranked lists of candidates for each PhD thesis topic is published.
REMOTE (ONLINE) EVALUATION OF ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES BY THE SELECTION COMMITTEES – EVALUATION 1
In order to ensure the highest levels of transparency, the remote evaluation will be carried out by Madri+d Foundation. UPM will at no time access to the evaluators’ database, thus guaranteeing the anonymity of the process. Upon completion of the evaluation of candidatures, all the documents generated in the process (ranked lists, Evaluation Summary Reports…) will be transferred to UPM.
INTERVIEW OF ELIGIBLE CANDIDATES BY PhD SUPERVISOR, PhD CO-SUPERVISOR, AND INDUSTRY STAFF – EVALUATION 2
Candidates who pass successfully Evaluation 1 will be invited to an interview organized and conducted by the PhD supervisor, PhD co-supervisor, and industry staff.
RANKED LIST WITH CANDIDATES BY THE UPM RESEARCH COMMISSION - EVALUATION 3
The UPM Research Commission will calculate and revise the average scores (Evaluation 3) of the candidates, considering both remote evaluation and interview (50/50, %) equally weighted
Funded positions will be granted in a Resolution of the Rector, which will finalize the administrative process of evaluation and selection of candidates. Should one the selected applicants decline a position, the next candidate with the highest score will be invited.
The selected ESRs will be notified individually, they will sign the contract and join UPM no later than three months after the notification. Exceptions can be made with due justification, provided they are authorized by the Vice-Rector for Research, Innovation and Doctoral Studies.
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Research experience - Early-Stage Researcher (ESR): on the date of recruitment, candidates must be in the first four years (Full-Time Equivalent Research Experience) of their research careers and not yet have been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Degree: candidates must have completed the studies that lead to an official university degree from any country of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) awarding 300 ECTS, of which, at least 60 ECTS must correspond to master level. Or they must have completed a degree in a University not adapted to the EHEA that gives access to doctoral studies.
- Mobility criterion (MSCA Mobility rule): Applicants may not have resided or carried out their main activity in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the call deadline.
EURAXESS offer ID: 655970
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.