RESEARCH FIELDCultural studiesLanguage sciencesPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/07/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Leiden
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
The Faculty of Archaeology seeks an Assistant Professor (UD) who excels in teaching and who is experienced in teaching archaeology and interdisciplinary subjects for the wider student community at Leiden University. The UD concerned will organize the faculty’s participation in Leiden University’s Honours Program, including the scheduling of courses and the recruitment of talented BA-students, and will teach (part of the) courses in this program as well. Additionally, the UD can be involved in teaching programs of the Leiden University College LUC, as well as in new minors to be developed and offered by the Faculty of Archaeology in the near future. The total time investment in the teaching component is 80%, for research 20%. This division is fixed and therefore not negotiable.
The interdisciplinary focus of the UD should also be manifested in research projects and publications that transcend the discipline of archaeology and in which the candidate has collaborated with scholars from other disciplines. The UD is expected to further develop their interdisciplinary scope of research (20%), preferably with explicit attention for didactic innovation, including the use of innovative topics, working methods, new media and blended teaching, in order to enrich and update their teaching regularly.
We thus seek an ambassador of archaeology in broader academia. The preferential teaching and research focus within archaeology should be on historical archaeology (fitting in with one of the branches of Leiden University’s “world archaeology”), and the UD will be part of the World Archaeology Department at the Faculty of Archaeology.
The tasks of this UD will include:
- coordinating and teaching in the Honours Program of the Faculty of Archaeology;
- teaching courses at Leiden University College;
- contributing to and initiating joint teaching programs with other faculties in Leiden University, like minors;
- conducting research in interdisciplinary historical archaeology with an explicit didactic component.
The position is envisaged to commence in September 2021. We offer a fixed-term contract for the duration of 6 years, with a possibility of a permanent contract thereafter. The possibility of renewal will be discussed after an evaluation in the fifth year. Salary range from € 3,746.- to € 5,127.- gross per month, depending on experience (pay scale 11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%) and training and career development. Our Individual Choices Model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career program. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see the website.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, they must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to Ilone de Vries, email firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 1 July 2021. Please attach the following additional documents as a single PDF file quoting the vacancy number:
- A cover letter stating your motivation to apply for this position;
- A CV and publication list;
- Your PhD dissertation and two recent articles, ideally as links to freely available online publications.
- An overview of courses taught in the field of (world) archaeology, along with a detailed syllabus of the most relevant course;
- If available, the results of students’ evaluation of that course;
- The names and contact addresses of two academic referees, of which at least one must not be the thesis supervisor or the current employer.
Interviews are envisaged for mid July 2021. Selected candidates will be invited in first instance for an online interview. You are kindly requested to be available in this period.
Enquiries about this position can be made to Professor Joanita Vroom, email email@example.com.
Web site for additional job details
- PhD in Archaeology, preferably with a clear focus on historical archaeology with global themes;
- Demonstrable experience in teaching in higher education, as evidenced by a teaching portfolio and course evaluations in archaeology and/or related interdisciplinary subjects;
- Experience in the preparation, organization and implementation of teaching courses to (talented) BA students within the Honours Academy program;
- Demonstrable qualities in the field of interdisciplinary academic research, as shown by a number of scientific publications;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and team player;
- Able to work flexibly and adapt to changing circumstances at the interface of various Faculties and Institutes at Leiden University;
- Organizing and examining student internships;
- Excellent command of the English language;
- Good command of the Dutch language or willingness to learn Dutch within three years of appointment (language training will be provided).
EURAXESS offer ID: 655655
Posting organisation offer ID: 302104
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.