ORGANISATION/COMPANYNHH Norwegian School of Economics
RESEARCH FIELDEconomics › Labour economicsEconomics › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
NHH Norwegian School of Economics is one of the leading business schools in Europe. We are internationally recognised for our research environment, and we educate the leaders of the future. NHH is the first choice for students who want to study economics and business administration in Norway. We have about 3,600 students and 450 employees.
At NHH we work together for sustainable value creation. High quality, solid ethic standards and efforts for common goals characterise all our activities. Our core values committed, open and ambitious are central for employees and students.
NHH - for you who aspire to more!
The PhD specialisation
NHH is pleased to announce a vacancy in the PhD specialisation in Economics. Candidates admitted to the PhD programme at NHH will receive the title of PhD Research Scholar. Females are particularly encouraged to apply.
The PhD research scholar will be working on the project “EquiFirm Challenges to shaping an inclusive work-life in rapidly changing labour markets: Firms, Human capital, and Family policy” together with an international research group led by NHH Professor Astrid Kunze. It is preferred that the candidate is interested in at least one of the following fields: Labour Economics, Gender Economics, Management and Strategy and Micro-Econometrics and register data. The project is financed by the Norwegian Research Council.
The Department of Economics is looking for highly motivated and talented individuals. The PhD specialisation in economics aims to give dedicated graduates a solid training in performing high quality scientific research in economics, making use of state of the art empirical and theoretical techniques. The programme prepares students for the international academic job market, for positions at national and international policy institutions, central banks and research organisations.
PhD research scholars are provided with personal computers, printer access, extensive library resources, and a wide range of software.
The department encourages interaction between PhD research scholars and faculty through social gatherings and a wide variety of seminars and workshops in which the PhD research scholars are fully involved.
Start date: August 2022
The PhD Programme
The PhD programme at NHH is a four-year fully-funded programme, which combines an intensive course component with research and relevant work experience, preparing the school’s graduates for competitive careers towards national and international academic institutions and industry. Former PhD graduates have been hired by renowned institutions such as University of Oxford, HEC Paris, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, University of California Santa Barbara, RMIT Melbourne, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the Norwegian Competition Authority, as well as in the government, banking and technology industry.
The PhD candidates will be included in a highly stimulating and rewarding research environment, working closely with faculty members and other PhD research scholars at the department. The candidates receive feedback on their work through regular interaction with their supervisor and other faculty members during seminars. PhD research scholars are expected to participate actively in faculty and research seminars, as well as in workshops. The place of work will be at NHH in Bergen where the candidates will receive their own office space in their department.
The scholarship includes 25 % teaching and/or research assistance responsibilities. The programme gives preference to applicants who submit relevant research proposals that best fit the research interests of the department and available resources for supervision. As the school aspires gender balance and diversity, female applicants will be given preference if applicants are otherwise equally qualified.
The annual salary for the PhD Research Scholar position is set according to the Norwegian State Salary, which currently is NOK 481 800 (equivalent to approximately EUR 47 530 or USD 57 920). The salary ensures a fair standard of living in Norway and is subject to Norwegian taxes and benefits, including public health care benefits and pension savings.
The city of Bergen offers a mild coastal climate and hosts rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities, as well as a family-friendly environment. To explore the city, go to visitnorway.com.
Applicants must meet the eligibility requirements for the PhD programme.
You are required to upload the following electronically with your application:
- Certificate of a Master of science degree or equivalent (please include transcripts of grades)
- Certificate of a Bachelor degree or equivalent (please include transcripts of grades)
- Other relevant certificates or transcripts (e.g. courses completed at the PhD level)
- If the issuing authority of grades and degrees does not use the ECTS grading scale, please include an official description of the applied grading scale system.
- Statement of purpose describing your motivation for applying this position (250-300 words)
- Tentative research project outline (2000-4000 words) describing the aims, objectives, research questions, and elaborating on your motivation for pursuing the proposed area of research. Please note that your research project is tentative and often needs adjustments after acceptance into the programme.
- Curriculum vitae
- A list of all publications and /or other documented research activities
- Contact details of two referees
Please upload the documents in separate files, not combined in one single file.
The Department of Economics requires you to have an adequate level of academic and English language proficiency by adequate GMAT or GRE scores and TOEFL or IELTS test scores, or documenting equivalent skills in other ways.
- If you use GMAT/GRE or TOEFL/IELTS test scores to document your skills, you should ask the test centres to send your test scores electronically to NHH before the application deadline. If you have completed tests, upload a scanned copy of your unofficial test results.
- You are waived from the GMAT/GRE tests if you hold a qualifying master’s degree from a Nordic school.
- You are waived from TOEFL/IELTS if you are a native English speaker, have a qualifying Master’s degree from a Nordic school or you have a qualifying Master’s degree where the language of tuition was English.
- Please consult the NHH PHD website for detailed information on how to submit test scores and to see whether you are waived from these requirements.
Letter of recommendation:
Letters of recommendation may strengthen your application, but it is not mandatory. The referees should send their letter of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org by latest 15 September 2021.
For more information on the PhD programme and the submission procedure, please consult the NHH PHD website. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please note that applicants for the PhD research scholar position do not need to apply separately for admission to the PhD programme.
In accordance with §25 (2) of the Freedom of Information Act, note that the list of applicants may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his/her name entered on the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if his/her request is not respected.
For questions and inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Applications must be submitted online. To open the application, please click ‘Apply for this job’. For English version, go to the menu at the top right side.
Application deadline: 15 September 2021
EURAXESS offer ID: 652806
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.