ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Cadiz
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › ProgrammingNeurosciences › Neuroinformatics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE06/07/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Puerto Real
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956394
PARENT is an EU-funded project aiming for early diagnosis of newborn motor/cognitive impairments. PARENT combines the efforts of a multidisciplinary network of leading European research groups, industry partners, pediatric hospitals and parents’ associations to develop a technological infrastructure that will train Early Stage Researchers (ESR) to conduct top-notch research in leading academic institutions, hospitals and industry R&D divisions. During the research there will be strong emphasis on career development and on achieving impact. PARENT multidisciplinary approach and technologies will make a critical contribution towards an open neurodevelopmental disease diagnostic software infrastructure by interlinking disciplines from clinical data, neuroimaging collection and processing, biomarkers, data fusion, machine learning applied to clinical data, novel prediction algorithms. PARENT approach can be included in the more general paradigm of evidence-based medicine, precision medicine and patient center-care, as well as decision support systems in clinical field.
PARENT offers in total 15 ESR/PhD research positions for 3 years (36 months), during which it is intended that a PhD project is started, provided positive evaluation.
About the Organization Recruiting the ESR6
The University of Cádiz (UCA) is a young university with an European Seal of Excellence. UCA is a public institution committed with its environment, dedicated to generate, spread and transfer knowledge and culture, such as integral training of people and professionals. It distributes its academic and scientific work along its 4 campuses (Cádiz, Puerto Real, Jerez and Algeciras) with 15 centres (11 faculties and 4 colleges), 47 departments, more than 190 research groups and 6 research institutes develop here their activity. We will welcome 3 ESRs, in a lively team of driven researchers (informatics, data scientists, IoT and electronics engineers) and dedicated clinicians (child neurology, neuropsychological).
Position PARENT-ESR6: Artificial Intelligence for early detection of motor/cognitive impairments in preterm children using hybrid imaging
ESR6 position within PARENT project aims at developing computer vision and signal processing algorithms to identify significant biomarkers for early diagnosis of neurodevelopmental disabilities (NDD) in premature infants. Specifically, the project will focus on the following objectives:
- Familiarization with the most common and cutting-edge computer vision and signal processing techniques for health data analysis in this specific context.
- Development of a fully-automated machine learning pipeline to identify biomarkers from longitudinal datasets of neuroimages (2D/3D US and MRI Images).
- Extending the developed approaches considering further information from electrical signals (ETD/EGG signals).
- International mobility of researchers is a key concept within the MSCA ETN framework. As such you participate in international meetings, workshops and a secondment programme of up to 8 months.
- You want to tell the world about your novel findings with attractive posters, sparkling presentations and high quality papers.
- Exciting multidisciplinary research in a collaborative network of top academic and industrial partners.
- State-of-the-art computing infrastructure to support your research.
- You will work in an industrial environment and gain industrial experience.
- You will be enrolled in a PhD training programme at the University of Cádiz.
- You will benefit from further continuing education through a dedicated training programme in the various fields of expertise of the consortium partners through secondments, trainings, and workshops.
- Special focus on career development by offering training in transferable skills such as project management, communication skills, grant writing, exploitation of results, etc.
- The fellowship is awarded for a period of 3 years.
- You will benefit of a regular employment contract. The candidate will have to live in Cádiz (Spain) for the 3 years of employment.
- Competitive salary (39.240 EUR/year with a 95.4% correction factor for Spain), plus mobility allowance (7.200 EUR/year) and family allowance (if applicable, 6.000 EUR/year). This gross salary is subject to local tax, social benefit and other deductions following applicable national regulations of the country in which the researcher is recruited.
The following documents must be sent as pdf files IN A SINGLE EMAIL to the email address firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Motivation Letter (max 2 pages)
- Declaration to fulfill ESR Eligibility criteria of the Marie-Sklodowska Curie programme (fill and sign attached PDF files)
- Two reference contacts (Name, Surname, Role, Organization, Email). Reference contacts might be contacted to by the Organization/Company to provide a reference letter.
- A CV in European format (Europass).
- A copy of a valid ID document (passport or other);
- Copies of educational certificates and transcript of records (course transcripts). This copies can might be asked for in all steps of the evaluation. Add any other document which supports your CV. The originals might be asked for in all steps of the evaluation.
The selection procedure will be based on four steps:
Preliminary compliance check with the MSCA eligibility criteria and the specific requirements of the ESR project (degree, specific mandatory skills, specific requirements). Incorrect or lacking documentation may invalidate the recruitment procedure.
Screening of all the applications received and candidate shortlisting based on CV, academic transcripts, reference letters, cover letter and relevance for the research project.
Interview (Skype or other) of shortlisted candidates. In any case you receive a feedback of your application.
Final selection and ranking of suitable candidates and identification of the successful candidate.
UCA wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and we welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background. The selection will be exclusively based on qualification without regard to gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, or age.
Statement Regarding Data Protection
You share your information with us for the sole purpose of assessing the requirements for the selection process regarding the present ESR position. We respect that information, and we are careful to comply with our obligations under data protection laws while processing your application, in particular the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2016/679. Your data will not be disclosed to any third party, other than the ESR selection committee defined by the organization/company you are applying to. You have the right to obtain without undue delay: the rectification of inaccurate personal data concerning you (art. 16 of the GDPR); the erasure of personal data concerning you (art. 16 of the GDPR); right to obtain restriction of processing (art. 18 of the GDPR). By submitting your application, you agree to these terms.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Academic Degree :
- Bachelor’s or Engineering Degrees in Computer Engineering, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related fields.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Vision, Data Science, Biomedical Engineering or related fields.
- Proven skills (courses, work experience, research projects) with data science related tools like:
- Machine Learning.
- Python and Matlab.
- Computer vision/Image processing and analysis (registration, segmentation, metrology…)
- Deep Learning with Convolutional Neural Networks (CNNs)
- Additional qualifications:
- 2D/3D image segmentation using CNNs.
- Matlab and toolboxes (DL, CV, IP)
- Experience with OpenCV, Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch
- SPM, brain US/MRI, NIfTI/DICOM
- Statistical modelling
- Cloud computing (AWS o similar)
- Development of Graphical user interfaces
- Web programming
- Development of applications using embedded hardware (Raspberry o similar)
In view of the international context, proficiency in the English language is mandatory (B1 or higher)
 To be included in the doctorate program (University of Cadiz), candidates must fulfil the criteria established in the doctorate program in their current institution. Usually, a completed course requires at least 300 higher education credits, of which at least 60 higher education credits are second-cycle (Master Degree).
ESR Eligibility Criteria of the Marie-Sklodowska Curie Programme
The applicants can be of any nationality. There are specific criteria the applicant must fulfill to be eligible, as follows:
- At the time of recruitment, the researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Spain for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to his/her recruitment. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account.
- ESR Candidates must be, at the time of recruitment by the host organization, in the first four years (full-time equivalent) of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree. This is measured from the date when they obtained the Master’s degree that would formally entitle them to embark on a doctorate.
- Applicants are not eligible if they have already been awarded a PhD.
Basic Duties and Responsabilities of the ESR
The ESR will be required to work exclusively on the MSCA ITN programme (PARENT-ETN). In all cases, all duties and responsibilities will be clearly outlined in the researchers Personal Career Development Plan, as determined in the early stages of the project between the ESR and supervisors.
EURAXESS offer ID: 651373
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.