ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Warsaw
RESEARCH FIELDComputer science › InformaticsPhysics › Quantum mechanicsTechnology › Quantum technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE24/06/2021 17:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956071
Two PhD vacancies are available for highly motivated Early Stage Researcher (ESR) positions as part of the new H2020, EU-funded, Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network “AppQInfo” on “Applications and Hardware for Photonic Quantum Information Processing”.
Quantum Information Processing (QIP) QIP will revolutionise information technology, providing higher quality, speed and unconditional security, not possible with classical technologies. Our research projects will work towards feasible long-distance quantum communications from urban-scale networks to satellite-based systems using various data encoding; study quantum photonic circuits towards their quantum transport properties and quantum transforms they implement; exploit these platforms for machine learning applications, such as building all-optical artificial neural networks, and applying them for quantum simulations; develop enabling technologies of sources and detectors of multiphoton quantum states and polaritonic logic gates.
The project consortium embraces 15 excellent European institutions: the University of Warsaw (Poland, the coordinator), University of Vienna (Austria), University of Padova (Italy), University of Oxford (UK), Imperial College London (UK), Université Libre de Bruxelles (Belgium), Sorbonne Université (France), IBM Research (Switzerland), ID Quantique (Switzerland). They are accompanied by the Institute for Quantum Computing at the University of Waterloo (Canada), University of Paderborn (Germany), University of Geneva (Switzerland), NTT Basic Research Labs (Japan), Single Quantum (Netherlands), and Quandela (France).
An ideal candidate should possess a MSc (or equivalent) degree in physics, mathematics or computer science, should be ambitious and hard-working with high motivation for scientific work and strong will for self-development. We expect a good practical knowledge of English (B or C level preferred) and ability to travel within the EU and worldwide.
- a comprehensive, interactive and international training programme covering innovative and state-of-the-art approaches to the field of Photonic Quantum Information Processing.
- a series of research-specific, complementary and soft skills, that involve both the academic and industry sectors and are tailor-made to prepare young researchers for their future careers.
- a competitive salary, which is adjusted for their host country.
- a mobility allowance and a family allowance (where applicable) as part of the employment package.
- the applicants can be of any nationality.
- they should be within four years of the diploma granting them access to doctorate studies at the time of recruitment,
- the applicant must not have resided for more than 12 months prior to the singing their contract in the country of the host institute.
- Applicants should be proficient in written and spoken English.
Please provide the following documents: a copy of the diploma, a recommendation letter from the last supervisor (recommendation letters from other senior scientists are welcome), a scientific curriculum vitae describing education, employment history, previous participation in research projects, collaborations, internships, stipends, conferences, other achievements as well as scientific interests, a list of publications, a motivational letter stating why the candidate is willing to participate in this research project and, optionally, a copy of a document certifying candidate’s knowledge of English.
Pursuant to Article 13 of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation), University of Warsaw hereby informs:
- The Controller of your personal data is the University of Warsaw with its registered office at Krakowskie Przedmieście 26/28, 00-927 Warszawa;
- The Controller has designated the Data Protection Officer who supervises the processing of personal data, and who can be contacted via the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Your personal data will be processed for the purpose of carrying out a recruitment process and selecting an employee and concluding a contract for employment at the University of Warsaw;
- The provided data will be processed pursuant to Article 221 § 1 of the Act of 26 June 1974 Labor Code (uniformed text: Dz.U. of 2018, item 917) and your consent for processing of personal data;
- Provision of data in the scope stipulated in the Labor Code is mandatory, and the remaining data are processed according to your consent for processing of personal data;
- The data will not be shared with any external entities;
- The data will be stored until you withdraw your consent for processing of personal data;
- You have the right to access your personal data, to rectify, erase them, restrict their processing, object to processing, and to withdraw the consent at any time;
- You have the right to lodge a complaint to the President of the Office for the Protection of Personal Data.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentComputer science: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Completed master studies in physics, computer science or mathematics, preferably with specialization in quantum information processing, quantum computation etc.
- Ambitious hard-working with high motivation for scientific work and strong will for self-development
- Numerical programming practice, basic knowledge of mathematical tools (e.g. Matlab or Wolfram Mathematica) and general computer software (e.g. Microsoft Office, Skype)
- Practical knowledge of English (B level or above)
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Mobility (ability to travel within the EU and worldwide)
- Performing theoretical research under supervision of the principal investigator
- Developing numerical software and performing computations
- Studying literature on a regular basis
- Managing research notes, preparation of publications and conference posters
- Participation in junior conferences and schools
- Preparation of a Ph. D. thesis
EURAXESS offer ID: 651290
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.