ORGANISATION/COMPANYCYENS Centre of Excellence
RESEARCH FIELDComputer scienceMathematicsOther
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)Established Researcher (R3)Recognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2021 22:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONCyprus › NICOSIA
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
CYENS Centre of Excellence (formerly known as RISE) is the Research Centre of Excellence in Cyprus focusing on Interactive media, Smart systems and Emerging technologies aiming to empower knowledge and technology transfer in the region. It is a joint venture between the three public universities of Cyprus, University of Cyprus, Cyprus University of Technology, and Open University of Cyprus, the Municipality of Nicosia, and two renowned international partners, the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany, and the University College London, United Kingdom. This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme H2020-WIDESPREAD-01-2016-2017 (Teaming Phase 2) under grant agreement No. 739578, as well as from the Cypriot Government, local and international partners, and other sponsors.
CYENS conducts multidisciplinary research at the intersection of a range of disciplines including Computer Science, Engineering, Psychology, Neuroscience, Human Factors, Multimedia, Artificial Intelligence, Design, Computer Vision, Machine Learning, Virtual and Augmented Reality. The Research focus is on interactive media. Interactive media have become an integral part of our lives, changing the way that information is conveyed to the user and the ways users interact with devices, with other people, and with the world around them. Research in the Centre integrates the Visual Sciences, Human Factors & Design, and Communications & Artificial Intelligence, in a tight synergy that provides a unique interdisciplinary research perspective that emphasizes an “Inspired by Humans, Designed for Humans” philosophy. The Centre is designed to act as an integrator of academic research and industrial innovation, towards the sustainable fueling of the scientific, technological, and economic growth of Cyprus and Europe. For further information about the Centre, please visit www.cyens.org.cy.
The Centre is seeking 1 full-time position for a Senior Researcher - Team Leader for Multidisciplinary Research Group (MRG). The MRG Team Leader will be based in the premises of the Centre.
The opportunity to create a Multidisciplinary Research Group (MRG) within the Centre will be assessed according to the expertise of the Team Leader, the MRG’s potential impact (both research and socioeconomic), synergy with other RTDI activities and MRGs of the Centre, and its likelihood of being able to become financially self-sustained in the longer term.
CYENS wishes to receive applications for a Team Leader of MRGs in the following areas:
- Data Analytics,
- Network Science, Social Networking & Mobility,
- Cloud Computing, Big Data and Business Intelligence
The Centre will fund the salaries of the scientific personnel of the MRG, which include the Team Leader heading it, as well as 2 junior researchers. The MRG will also have additional allowance for equipment, travelling and visiting the Advanced Partners.
Initially, a 3-year contract will be offered to the Team Leader with potential for renewal. The team leader, and the team members, will undergo a yearly performance assessment related to their research activity and operations (towards contributing to the Centre’s Key Performance Indicators).
Duties and Responsibilities of the MRG Leader
The Team Leader will manage the MRG and mentor the junior researchers, guiding all RTDI activities within their proposed MRG. The successful candidates will report to the Research Director of the Centre.
The Team Leader and his/her team will have the opportunity to conduct applied research within their proposed area of interest as well as to establish synergies with other RTDI activities of the Centre and other MRGs. They will have the ability and responsibility to secure additional funding through any of their RTDI activities (e.g., national and EU research funding, industry collaborations, and joint IP exploitation, etc.), which will enable them to increase their personnel and extend their life beyond the initial period of 3 years. Outstanding and sustained quality of research outputs is expected by the MRGs and their Team Leaders.
The Team Leader and their teams will have to participate in the Centre’s operations (e.g., committees etc.) and have contribution to tasks/deliverables of H2020-Teaming-RISE project. Also, the team leader (and their teams) will need to have full-time physical presence at the Centre.
Desired Qualifications & Requirements
- PhD degree in a relevant field from an accredited institution.
- International postdoctoral experience will be considered an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of both spoken and written English language.
- Previous research experience and high impact research publications
- Previous relevant industrial/applied research experience would be considered an advantage.
- Previous grant-writing experience
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required
For full consideration, interested applicants should submit the following items via the online application form and mention the position you are applying for: “ Application: MRG Leader” :
- Cover letter which clearly specifies availability date for full time employment of the Team Leader.
- A proposal for the MRG (up to five pages long), outlining the MRG planning for the next 3 years, including group composition, foreseen instrumentation to be required, and expected activity (highlighting innovation-driven activities) that will enable the group to increase its personnel and extend its life beyond the initial period of 3 years. The proposal must include how the research focus of the proposed MRG is aligned with the Centre’s focus.
- Short summary of research interests and achievements of the Team Leader (2 pages max).
- CV (including contact details and complete list of publications).
- Copies of degree certificates (BSc. /MSc., PhD).
- Three most important publications with full bibliographic citations.
- Contact details of three referees, either all academics or two academics and one from the industry. The candidate is responsible for asking the referees to send a recommendation letter at firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline for applications.
Application Deadline: 31st July 2021
In case you previously applied for a post at CYENS, a new application is required.
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the Research Centre at email@example.com
CYENS Centre of Excellence is an equal opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
EURAXESS offer ID: 650373
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.