ORGANISATION/COMPANYTechnische Universität Wien
RESEARCH FIELDPhysics › OtherPhysics › Quantum mechanics
RESEARCHER PROFILELeading Researcher (R4)Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE26/07/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONAustria › Vienna
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK40
TU Wien is Austria's largest institution of research and higher education in the fields of technology and natural sciences. With over 26,000 students and more than 4000 scientists, research, teaching and learning dedicated to the advancement of science and technology have been conducted here for more than 200 years, guided by the motto "Technology for People". As a driver of innovation, TU Wien fosters close collaboration with business and industry and contributes to the prosperity of society.
At the Institute Atomic and Subatomic Physics of the Faculty of Physics at TU Wien the position of a University Professor in the field of Experimental Quantum Technology with permanent full-time contractual employment is to be filled as of January 2022.
This is a professorship regulated by § 98 of the 2002 Universities Act (UG). This position is part of the current development plan of TU Wien and is allocated to the research area “Quantum Physics and Quantum Technologies”
We are looking for an internationally leading experimentalist working on the realization, manipulation and characterization of complex quantum systems with a vision of technological applications. Possible topics of research may include quantum-optics, -communication, -simulation, -sensing, -metrology, -thermodynamics, -many-body systems, and -information processing using photonic, atomic, ionic, molecular, solid state or hybrid systems.
The applicant’s trendsetting scientific profile shall complement and expand on-going research activities at the faculty of physics at TU Wien in the focus area “Quantum Physics and Quantum Technologies”. A connection to the central topics of the quantum flagship initiative is of advantage. We expect the successful candidate to be an international leader in one or several of the areas outlined above with excellent embedding into the global research community, the proven ability to lead an independent research team, and a demonstrated ability to acquire third-party funding.
The professorship is located at the Institute for Atomic and Subatomic Physics. We anticipate a close collaboration with groups working at the Institute, as well as at the faculty of Physics and other faculties of TU Wien. Synergies with the Vienna Center for Quantum Science and Technology, the Centre for Micro- and Nanofabrication, the Special Research Networks (SFBs) and the doctoral schools (CoQuS, Solid4Fun) are envisioned.
We expect the applicant to be strongly motivated and well qualified to substantially contribute to the teaching (in English and in German) of the bachelor and master curricula of TU Wien and to participate in the academic management of the institute and faculty.
- Excellent working conditions in an attractive research environment
- A strong network of quantum research groups in Austria
- Attractive compensation combined with a supplemental retirement benefit program sponsored by the employer and further benefits (see also: Fringe-Benefit Catalogue of TU Wien)
- Financial support of research activities in the first years (start-up funds); support in moving to Vienna (if required)
- Dual career advice (if required): We offer partners of the university professors appointed to TU Wien various supporting services tailored to their individual situation
- An employee-friendly environment in a city with an extraordinary high quality of life
Classification in the A1 category of the collective bargaining agreement for employees of universities and a full-time minimum salary of EUR 74.503,80 gross annual is provided for. In addition, a company pension scheme (pension fund and employee benefit fund) will be set up, so that personnel benefits will increase by a total of 11.53%. A higher salary depending on qualifications and experience is categorically a subject of appointment negotiations.
Applications in German or English must include at least the following documents:
- A detailed curriculum vitae including professional and academic record
- Motivation Letter
- Presentation of previous academic activities including a survey of research and development projects carried out and of funds raised as well as a list of teaching and lecturing activities
- A list of publications (including a link to a unique researcher identifier like on ResearcherID, ORCID or Google Scholar)
- Copies of the 5 most important publications related to the field of the position announced
- A research and teaching concept with considerations on the future positioning and further development of the field
- We kindly ask you to download the data sheet "Experimental Quantum Technology" and upload it filled in under the category: +add more documents
General information can be found at the following links:
- TU Wien
- Faculty of Physics
- Institute of Atomic and Subatomic Physics
- Information about professorships and appointment procedures: Appointment Service
We look forward to receiving your complete application documents no later than 26.07.2021.
- Completed doctoral or PhD studies in the field under consideration from a domestic or foreign university or research institution (or equivalent scientific qualification)
- Outstanding publication record in internationally recognised academic journals in the fields of work of the professorship
- The qualification for teaching (venia docendi) acquired at a domestic or foreign university or an academic qualification recognisable as being equivalent to the venia docendi
- Pedagogic and didactic qualification for academic teaching of Physics, in English and in German
- Experience in the supervision of research projects of students and PostDocs
- In case the candidate does not yet possess sufficient knowledge of German, we expect a commitment to acquire German skills at a level suitable for teaching, for participation in the management of the institute and faculty as well as in governing bodies of the university
- International research experience relevant to the field of specialization, international visibility, as well as skills in networking
- Experience in the acquisition, completion and management of research projects
- Ability and willingness to manage a research division or a research group
- The candidate should ideally have competence and experience in the professional promotion of young scholars
- The candidate should ideally be educated in the field of gender mainstreaming
- On-site presence is expected
EURAXESS offer ID: 650278
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.