ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyPhysics › Biophysics
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE09/07/2021 17:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
REFERENCE NUMBERICHF 20/2021
We seek an excellent candidate with experience in cancer biology, tissue culture, or optical imaging to work on experimental in vitro models of cancer chemotherapy. The candidate will investigate differences in single-cell response of normal and cancer cells to chemotherapy, and how the response correlates with phenotypic, non-genetic heterogeneity prior to treatment. The project will help to better understand why chemotherapy fails, quantify the contribution of different mechanisms leading to resistance, and drive better, predictive mathematical models of cancer treatment.
This post is funded through the POLS grant “Phenotypic heterogeneity in cancer chemotherapy” carried out in collaboration with Professor Hesso Farhan, the Institute of Basic Medical Sciences at the University of Oslo, and the Institute of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Innsbruck in Austria.
1. Undertaking research projects in pursuit of goals agreed with the supervisor. This will involve deciding (with the supervisor) on the detailed direction of the research, formulating a strategy for day-to-day research work, implementing the strategy (without close supervision) and reporting progress to the supervisor and other research team members.
2. Communicating research strategies and results to team members and collaborators through talks and discussions, as well as learning about others’ research through seminars and journal clubs.
3. Assisting with supervision of junior researchers (Master and PhD students), where appropriate.
4. Writing reports and scientific papers.
5. Attending and presenting at workshops and conferences.
The candidate is expected to work closely with experimentalists from Prof. Hesso Farhan’s group (Innsbruck, Austria).
About the Dioscuri Centre:
The Centre’s main objective is to better understand the growth and evolution of pathogenic cells in human diseases from the chemistry and physics viewpoint. While most of the group works on bacterial infections, the Centre is also developing a research programme in cancer biology. In particular, we would like to improve the knowledge of mechanisms that lead to resistance to cancer chemotherapy. The members of the Centre use experimental in vitro models, computer simulations and mathematical theory to create data driven, quantitative models of bacterial infections and cancer. We anticipate that these models can help to develop new treatment modalities. To facilitate translation from the bench to the bedside, the Centre will collaborate with biomedical researchers and with industrial partners.
The Centre is co-funded by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, with additional support coming from NAWA and POLS.
The Centre is located in the Institute of Physical Chemistry (IPC, Polish: IChF), Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland.
Gross salary about 8300 PLN/month (net salary approx. 6600 PLN, approx. 1500 EUR). In exceptional cases, the salary may be open to negotiations.
A complete application should include the following items:
- motivation letter
- professional curriculum vitae
- list of publications
- personal data processing consent
- in addition, two letters of reference should be arranged to be sent to email@example.com
All documents (including the reference letters) should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “20/2021” in the subject line.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an in-person interview or a conference call (Zoom or Skype) in the second half of July/beginning of August.
Job reference number ICHF 20/2021
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
• PhD in biology, bio-medicine, or biological physics
• Hands-on experience with microscopic optical imaging
• Very good academic achievements as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications and talks/poster presentations at international conferences.
• Ability to draft (in English) scientific papers for academic journals.
• Ability to communicate (in English) complex information clearly, orally and in writing.
• Ability to think creatively, propose and develop new ideas.
• Capability of working without close supervision, exercising a high degree of initiative and demonstrating a pro-active approach to work.
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
• Research experience in in vitro cancer models (cell cultures, spheroids, organelloids)
• Experience in live-cell optical imaging (epifluorescent, confocal), ideally using automated, computer-controlled microscopes or image cytometers (Incucyte, xCELLigence, or similar)
• Experience with CRISPR-Cas9 or other methods of genetic engineering of human cell lines
• Experience in cross-disciplinary and / or collaborative research projects.
• Ability to communicate with researchers or other project partners from other scientific backgrounds, especially with computer/mathematical modellers
• Ability to adapt to new ideas and willingness to approach new challenges and adjust plans to suit new priorities.
• Ability to work hard and organise work so as to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to maintain a clean and well-organised laboratory environment and to set up and maintain a well-organised digital repository of experimental data and protocols.
• Potential for career advancement as an independent researcher.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 649820
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.