ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Iceland
RESEARCH FIELDMedical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/07/2021 23:00 - Europe/London
LOCATIONIceland › Reykjavík
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK36 hours per week
We are looking for highly qualified, motivated and hard-working graduate student for a fully funded three year project at the BioMedical Center, University of Iceland. The project involves characterization of endothelial metabolism following shock. The endothelium is a single cell layer surrounding the lumen of blood vessels and is involved in hemostasis and the immune response. Endothelial dysfunction is a characteristic of multiple diseases of the vasculature, including diabetes, myocardial infarction and stroke,that are leading causes of death.
Field of work
The project is multidisciplinary and uses cutting-edge technologies including CRISPR mutagenesis, imaging, RNAseq, proteomics, metabolomics and integrated systemsbiology analysis of cellular and clinical data.
The projects will take place within a vibrant scientific environment within the Biomedical Center at the University of Iceland (http://lifvisindi.hi.is). The BMC is an official collaboration between research groups working in biomedical molecular life sciences within the University, the University Hospital, Reykjavik University and other research institutions in Iceland. It includes over 70 Principal Investigators and over hundred graduate students and postdocs. Students will belong to the Graduate Program in Molecular Life Sciences, a joint program between research groups within the BMC and will therefore belong to a stimulating interdisciplinary educational program in the field of molecular life sciences. The graduate program will take place in Reykjavík, Iceland, which is a safe, beautiful and a fun place to live and work.
- Recent MS in genetics, cellular or molecular biology, biochemistry or related fields
- Laboratory experience
- Good computer and data analysis skills are essential-programming skills are beneficial
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Independence and ability to work in a team
The selected candidate must send a formal application for PhD studentship at the University of Iceland and the position is contingent on acceptance into the Ph.D. program.
Please include the following with the application:
- Description of how the applicants meet the requirements, their interests in the project and how they can contribute to the project (max 2 pages).
- CV and an overview of publications, if any.
- Certificates of education (BS and MS degrees) and distribution of grades.
- Reference letter from at least two previous supervisors/teachers (including information on their relationship to the applicant).
- Applicants are also invited to send PDF of PhD or MS thesis (in any language) and any other relevant publications if available (max 5 documents).
The salaries for the positions will be in accordance with the current collective wage and salary agreement between the trade union and the Minister of Finance.
All applications will be answered and applicants will be informed about the appointment when a decision has been made. Applications may be valid for six months.
Appointments to positions at the University of Iceland are made in consideration of the Equal Rights Policy of the University of Iceland.
The University of Iceland has a special Language Policy.
Application deadline is 15.07.2021
For further information contact
EURAXESS offer ID: 648953
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.