- NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU
- Research Field
- Computer science
- Researcher Profile
- Recognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
About the job
The postdoctoral fellowship position is a temporary position where the main goal is to qualify for work in senior academic positions.
The Department of Computer Science has a vacancy for a postdoctoral fellow in the Data and Artificial Intelligence Group, the use of AI in the recruitment process, with a special focus on fairness in decision making.
The position is funded by NTNU and will partly be connected to a project focusing on bias, discrimination and unfairness problems related to the use of AI in the employee recruitment process. The project (with short title “BIAS”) is funded by the European Union (EU) and is of highly multidisciplinary nature where the task of our department focuses on design and implementation of an AI-based decision support system that enables detection of possible unfair decisions, and development of methods to mitigate or avoid unfair decision.
In the BIAS project real data on job applications will be used. The postdoc researcher will work with data curation and the design and implementation of an AI-based decision support system, in particular for scanning and ranking the applications. A key requirement of the decision support systems is fairness, more specifically individual fairness where methods for measuring similarity between job applications will be of special focus.
The postdoc researcher will also work on other research question that are not in the scope of BIAS project but related to ethical issues in AI such as discrimination, diversity and fairness.
Your immediate leader is the group leader of Data and artificial intelligence.
Duties of the position
- contribute to required deliverables of the BIAS project
- participate in relevant activities in the BIAS project
- contribute to existing multidisciplinary research at NTNU on ethics in AI
- prepare scientific journal articles and conference papers
- collaborate with PhD candidates and master thesis students
Required selection criteria
- You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence.
- Expertise in knowledge representations, decision support systems, similarity metrics and ranking.
- Background in mathematics and machine learning.
- Good programming skills and experience with implementing data-driven experiments including data processing, building and training models and validation.
- Good written and oral English language skills.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations on terms of employment for positions such as postdoctoral fellow, Ph.D Candidate, research assistant and specialist candidate.
Preferred selection criteria
- Previous experience with fairness in AI.
- Knowledge and experience with AI methods such as case-based reasoning, explainable AI, ranking and similarity learning, probabilistic models.
- Good written and oral Scandinavian language skills.
- analytical, respectful, and excellent at thinking «out-of-the-box»
- motivated, ambitious, and eager to «walk new paths»
- collaborative, open-minded and able to take initiatives, able to work independently and. in team, with high degree of personal responsibility
- good communication skills, both written and orally
- eager to disseminate knowledge, both nationally and internationally
Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a Postdoctoral Fellow (code 1352) you are normally paid from gross NOK 563 500 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU.
After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution on a daily basis.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfill the criteria specified above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV and certificates.
- Transcripts and diplomas for bachelor's-, master's- and PhD degrees.
- A copy of the doctoral thesis.
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 items).
- A research plan (3-5 pages) related to fairness in decision support systems for recruitment, with research goals, methods and evaluation sections.
- Name and contact information of three referees, one being your PhD supervisor.
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
NTNU believes that inclusion and diversity is a strength. We want our faculty and staff to reflect Norway’s culturally diverse population and we continuously seek to hire the best minds. This enables NTNU to increase productivity and innovation, improve decision making processes, raise employee satisfaction, compete academically with global top-ranking institutions and carry out our social responsibilities within education and research. NTNU emphasizes accessibility and encourages qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender identity, ability status, periods of unemployment or ethnic and cultural background.
NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific positions and has a number of resources to promote equality.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
A public list of applicants with name, age, job title and municipality of residence is prepared after the application deadline. If you want to reserve yourself from entry on the public applicant list, this must be justified. Assessment will be made in accordance with current legislation. You will be notified if the reservation is not accepted.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact PInar Øzturk, telephone +4791897451, email email@example.com. If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact HR e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you think this looks interesting and in line with your qualifications, please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates attached. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Upon request, you must be able to obtain certified copies of your documentation.
Application deadline: 26.02.23
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Computer Science
We are the leading academic IT environment in Norway, and offer a wide range of theoretical and applied IT programmes of study at all levels. Our subject areas include hardware, algorithms, visual computing, AI, databases, software engineering, information systems, learning technology, HCI, CSCW, IT operations and applied data processing. The Department has groups in both Trondheim and Gjøvik. The Department of Computer Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering .
Deadline 26th February 2023
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service NTNU Trondheim
- Number of offers available
- NORWEGIAN UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY - NTNU
Where to apply