ORGANISATION/COMPANYNTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
RESEARCH FIELDPolitical sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE01/09/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Trondheim
TYPE OF CONTRACTPermanent
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
This is NTNU
At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 400 employees and 42 000 students.
We are looking for dedicated employees to join us.
About the position
At the Department of Sociology and Political Science (ISS) there is a vacant permanent position as Associate Professor in political science. The professional field of the position is international relations. Qualifications in East-Asia research will be emphasized. The department aims at strengthening its competence in the study of foreign policy, and will take this into consideration in the ranking of the candidates. Research qualifications in qualitative methods and knowledge in national/regional languages in East- Asia will be considered advantageous.
The Department of Sociology and Political Science (ISS) is committed to carrying out research, teaching, and dissemination of knowledge in sociology, political science, sport science, and media studies. The Department has approximately 118 employees and 12 study programs. ISS is characterised by strong disciplines with emphasis on sociology and political science, contributing to multidisciplinary study programs and research at NTNU. Sociology and political science also influence the Department’s sport science and media studies profile. More information
You will report to Head of Department.
Duties of the position
- Responsibility for teaching and research in the professional field of the position, international relations, and other relevant courses connected to the academic field of the position, at all levels.
- The teaching is primarily connected to the study program in Political Science. Teaching in the other study programs at the department is also possible.
- Participation in teaching activities in accordance with the current study programs.
- Contributing to further development of research, the study programs and teaching practice in the field(s) of the position.
- Contributing to continuing and further education.
- Carry out research within his/her professional field and special research interests.
- Examination work.
- Responsibility for administrative tasks.
- Shared responsibility with other academic staff in the Department for academic matters.
- Supervision of bachelor, master- and doctoral candidates within his/her discipline.
- Responsibility for dissemination of research findings.
- Representing his/her own field of study and the Department’s discipline in local, national and international multidisciplinary research.
- Contributing to development of the Department’s scientific policy.
The Associate Professor is obliged to conform with the regulations concerning changes and developments within the discipline and/or the organizational changes concerning activities at NTNU.
Required selection criteria
The position of Associate Professor within political science requires that you meet the criteria in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts section 1-4.
- Documented comprehensive professional qualifications at the doctoral level (PhD) in political science (including international relations and/or comparative politics)
- Applicants must document progress in research and publication, and present future research and publication plans. The applicant should also show ability and willingness to contribute to the long-term development of research at the Department.
Pedagogical qualifications will be emphasised. You must document relevant basic competence for teaching and supervision at university/higher education-level, ref. Regulations. If this cannot be documented, you are required to complete an approved course in university teaching within two years of commencement. NTNU offers qualifying courses.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Preferred selection criteria
- Importance is attached to originality, quality, and width in scientific publication during the last five years (excluding parental leave)
- Norwegian/Scandinavian and international publications in the discipline will be emphasized.
- We will also consider the experience from national and international research collaboration, and the ability and willingness to initiate and lead research and development work.
- The importance of creative work in political science, and in collaboration with other disciplines is an advantage.
- Research qualifications in foreign policy.
- Research qualifications in qualitative methods.
- Research qualifications in East-Asia
- Knowledge in Mandarin or other regional languages in East- Asia.
- Methodological and professional breadth in research and teaching will be emphasized.
- Furthermore, we emphasize the applicant’s ability to tie his/her research plans and interests to the research areas (employees and areas) where the Department has ongoing activity and development potential.
Personal skills such as independence, a solution-orientated, cooperative, creative approach, and motivation in contributing to a good working and social environment, will be emphasised.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
In a position as Associate Professor (code 1011) you will normally be remunerated from gross NOK 545 000 to NOK 694 400 per year, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment, you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite that you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
You can find more information about working at NTNU and the application process here.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation must be in Norwegian, a Scandinavian language or English.
Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates, and diplomas
- 5 academic works that the applicant regards as his/her most significant political science contributions, and which the applicant wants to be taken into account in the assessment.
- A short description of these works and their contribution to a specific field of research in the announced position in political science.
- A comprehensive overview of all publications.
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- A teaching portfolio with details of teaching qualifications based on Documentation of teaching qualifications in applications and appointments to academic positions at NTNU)
Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint work will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint publications, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the assessment of the best-qualified applicant, we will emphasize education, experience, and personal suitability, as well as your motivation for the position. You will be expected to deliver high-quality teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, and to undertake supervision of Master`s and Doctoral candidates. Evaluation of these skills will be based on documented experience and relevant teaching qualifications. Applicants with teaching experience at university level are preferred. Quality and breadth of the teaching qualifications will be evaluated.
NTNU is required to oblige by the evaluation criteria for research quality in accordance with The San Fransisco Declaration on Research Assessment – DORA. This means that we will pay particular attention to the quality and academic range demonstrated by your scientific work to date. We will also pay attention to research leadership and participation in research projects. Your scientific work from the last five years will be given the most weight.
Your application will be considered by a committee of experts. Candidates of interest will be invited to a trial lesson and an interview.
NTNUs personell policy emphasizes the importance of equality and diversity. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of gender, disability, or cultural background. NTNU is working actively to increase the number of women employed in scientific
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must continually maintain and improve your professional development and be flexible regarding any organizational changes.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions regarding the position, please contact Head of Department Johan Fredrik Rye e.mail: firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR by Renate Lillian Johansen, e-mail: email@example.com
The application and all attachments should be submitted electronically via jobbnorge.no. If you are invited to interview, you must bring with you notarized copies of all references and diplomas. Mark your application with reference number: SU-594.
Application deadline: 01.09.202
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Sociology and Political Science
We conduct research, teaching and dissemination in sociology, political science, media, communication and information technology, and sport sciences. The Department offers five-year master’s programmes in teacher education (lektorutdanning) in social sciences as well as in physical education and sports. As a social science department we have a special obligation to contribute to the public debate on important social issues. The Department of Sociology and Political Science is one of seven departments in the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 646074
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.