ORGANISATION/COMPANYCatalan Institute for Water Research (ICRA)
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental scienceGeography
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE11/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSpain › Girona
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB
- Job location: ICRA – Catalan Institute for Water Research, Girona, Spain
- Number of positions available: 1
- Expected start: August - September 2021
- Temporal Position. The position is for 5-6 Months (approximately)
- Gross Annual Salary package: 20.000 – 21.500 €, to be arranged according to the candidate’s skills.
JOB PURPOSE / PROJECT DESCRIPTION
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) has committed to mobilize business to reduce impact of improper wastewater management and drive performance improvements that benefit climate, biodiversity, and water-security. Accordingly, it launched the Wastewater Zero initiative, which has different activities, and among them the Wastewater Impact Assessment Tool (WIAT). ICRA will develop the WIAT, which aims to be an assessment tool to assess impacts of wastewater on climate, biodiversity, and water security. Thus, the corporate user is expected to visualize the impacts of its wastewater at each of its facilities worldwide and in the local watershed context. The tool will help spur a call to action for business related to SDG 6.3. A physical geographer or environmental scientist with a background on QGIS, web-based map viewers, and programming with Phyton will develop the model and the GIS-based map viewer to assess the impacts of industrial facilities at the Global scale.
We are seeking for a highly motivated person holding a degree on physical geography, environmental sciences, or similar with a strong interest in GIS. However, we’ll also consider candidates on the last semester of their degree.
The tasks in the WBCSD project will involve:
- Compiling global datasets on water security, biodiversity and industrial pollution, and programming a web-based map viewer.
- Participate in weekly meetings with the computer scientist and PIs working on the same project.
WORKING CONDITIONS & ENTITLEMENTS
Working conditions: Employed in compliance with Spanish legislation and regulations. Employees receive the benefits of the Spanish Social Security system covering sickness, maternity/paternity leaves and injuries at work.
International Environment: The opportunity to join a prestigious international research institution and become a member of a young and growing research group.
Continuous training in a high-quality environment.
HOW TO APPLY & SELECTION PROCESS
DNI or NIE (valid and with work permit in Spain). If you do not have a NIE, please attach a statement that you commit to take the necessary steps to obtain a work and residence permit in Spain.
Aplications and DeadlineDeadline for applications:
Send the required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ref. “Geo_WBCSD” in the subject of the email.
The deadline to submit the required documentation is June, 11th 2021.
- Pre-selection: will be based on CV, experience, skills and motivation letter.
- Interviews: Short-listed candidates will be interviewed.
- Offered Position: Job Offer will be sent to the successful candidate after the interview.
In ICRA we are committed to maintaining and developing a work environment in which the values and principles of our organization are respected and equal opportunities between women and men be promoted in each of the areas in which we operate, not tolerating discrimination based on criteria such age, sex, marital status, race, ethnicity, disabilities, political leanings or sexual orientation.
Recruitment will be carried out as provided for in Article 15 of Royal Legislative Decree 1/1995 of 24 March passing the text of the Workers' Statute Act, in accordance with the provisions of Article 2 of Royal Decree 2720/98 of 18 December (B.O.E. 8 January 1999), Act nº 12/2001 of July 9 (B.O.E. 10 July) and concordant regulations.
The principle of equality between men and women is taken into account, in accordance with Article 14 of the Spanish Constitution, the EU Directive of 9 February 1976 and the provisions of the Agreement of the Council of Ministers of March 4, 2005, passing the Plan for gender equality in the General State Administration.
Universal accessibility for persons with disabilities is taken into account, in accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 1 of Act nº 51/2003 of 2 December on equal opportunities, and 5% of vacancies are reserved provided the candidates pass the selection processes and are able to accredit disability and compatibility in performing the tasks so that we will progressively reach 2% of the total workforce.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELGeography: Bachelor Degree or equivalentEnvironmental science: Bachelor Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESSPANISH: ExcellentENGLISH: Excellent
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & SELECTION CRITERIA
Must Have – Required
Experience: Degree on Physical geography, Environmental Sciences, or similar (or last semester).
Knowledge: The researcher must be proficient in QGIS, PostgreSQL and programming with Phyton.
- Skills: Any of the following past research experiences will be judged favourably in the selection process:
- activities, knowledge/experience in developing GIS-based models or map-viewers.
- previous experience in development of complex process-based models is positively evaluated,
- ability to work independently and as a member of a team; she/he must be creative, flexible, and eager to learn and to expand his /her scientific network,
- knowledge of the Spanich and Catalan language is also positively evaluated.
EURAXESS offer ID: 644671
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.