ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Bergen
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE17/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNorway › Bergen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37.5
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
At the Department of Economics, University of Bergen, there is a vacancy for a PhD position in economics. We are looking for candidates with a master’s degree in economics with projects that combines economics or finance with techniques from computer science. This can for instance, but not limited to, be projects on firm or consumer optimization and algorithms, or projects that combine any field of economics or finance with machine learning techniques.
Department of economics, University of Bergen, has a scientific staff of about 20 persons performing research and teaching in economics. The department offers two 5-year integrated master programs in addition to a bachelor and a master program in economics.
About the PhD position:
About the PhD position:
The duration of the PhD position is 4 years, of which 25 per cent of the time each year comprises required duties associated with research, teaching and dissemination of results. The employment period may be reduced if you have previously been employed in a recruitment position.
About the PhD training:
As a PhD research fellow, you will take part in the PhD programme at the Faculty of Social Sciences, UiB. The programme corresponds to a period of three years and leads to the PhD degree. To be eligible for admission you must normally have an educational background corresponding to a master’s degree with a scope of 120 ECTS credits, which builds on a bachelor’s degree with a scope of 180 ECTS credits (normally 2 + 3 years), or an integrated master’s degree with a scope of 300 ECTS credits (5 years). Master’s degrees must normally include an independent work of a minimum of 30 ECTS credits. It is expected that the topic of the master’s degree is connected to the academic field to which you are seeking admission.
About the project:
A research proposal of 5-8 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should present the topic, the research problem(s) and choice of theory and methods. The proposal should also include a progress plan for the different parts of the project. Admittance to the PhD programme will be based on the research proposal. The research project must combine economics or finance with techniques from computer science as outlined above.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- Applicants must hold a master's degree or the equivalent in economics, or must have submitted his/her master's thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. The degree must be completed before employment.
- The requirements are generally a grade B or better on the Master thesis and for the master’s degree in total.
- As an applicant you should be able to work independently, have a considerable work capacity as well as an enthusiasm for research, and be fluent in English language.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to the department for an interview.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary at pay grade 54 upon appointment (Code 1017) on the government salary scale (equivalent to NOK 482 200 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position.
- A good and professionally challenging working environment
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A cover letter including a brief account of your research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of them must be the main advisor for the master's thesis or equivalent thesis.
- Research proposal
- Transcripts and diplomas showing completion of the bachelor's and master's degrees.
- Relevant certificates/references
- A list of academic publications
- Academic publications that you want to submit for assessment (including your master’s thesis or equivalent)
- If you have a master's degree from an institution outside of the Nordic countries, or a 2-year discipline- based master's degree (or the equivalent) in a subject area other than the one associated with the application, you may later in the application process be asked to submit an overview of the syllabus for the degree you have completed.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
Closing date: June 17, 2021. The application must be marked: 21/6770
Applications submitted without a project description or applications sent as e-mails will not be considered. Only submitted documents will be subjected to an expert assessment.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Head of department Tommy Ståhl Gabrielsen, Tommy.Gabrielsen@uib.no, +47 55 58 92 21.
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to HR manager Bjørn Arild Petersen, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.
Life as a PhD candidate at UiB
Marion Claireaux tells about life and work as a PhD candidate at UiB.
About The University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments and three centres at Faculty of Social Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
EURAXESS offer ID: 644177
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.