ORGANISATION/COMPANYStony Brook University
RESEARCH FIELDAnthropology › OtherAnthropology › Physical anthropologyDemography › OtherHistory › ArchaeologyHistory › PaleographyOther
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE16/06/2021 23:00 - America/New York
LOCATIONUnited States › New York
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
Postdoctoral Position in Paleogenomics, Stony Brook University
(Full time, 40h per week)
The Veeramah Lab at Stony Brook (https://you.stonybrook.edu/veeramahlab/) has an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to begin in Fall 2021 to conduct research using paleogenomics as part of an ERC Synergy project, HistoGenes* GA# 856453 (https://www.histogenes.org/). The position is funded for five years and will involve the bioinformatic processing and population genetic analysis of paleogenomic data from 5th-9th century Europe being generated in collaboration with labs in Leipzig (Germany) and Budapest (Hungary). The individual’s primary task will be to perform population genetic analysis of this data and potentially develop new methods (for example approaches capitalizing on rare-variants in whole genome data, that integrate temporal-spatial information or that take advantage of novel machine learning frameworks). They will work in close collaboration with senior population genetics researchers in the US and German teams. As well as primary research duties, applicants will be expected to write papers, help in grant writing and train/mentor graduate students.
- Task 1 (35%): Advanced population genetic analysis of ancient medieval genomic data produced by HistoGenes collaborators.
- Task 2 (35%): Develop new methods of analysis for ancient medieval genomic data produced by HistoGenes collaborators.
- Task 3 (15%): Manuscript preparation including manuscript writing, editing, and figure preparation. May also assist in grant writing.
- Task 4 (10%): Training/mentoring undergraduate and graduate students in analysis of 2nd generation sequencing data for population genetics.
- Task 5 (5%): Other duties as assigned, which may include attending Scientific Conferences and Meetings.
The successful applicant should have:
- a PhD or equivalent foreign degree in the areas of population, evolutionary or anthropological genetics (or related fields) in hand by August 2021
- experience in processing 2nd generation sequencing data and analyzing paleogenomics data
- knowledge of python or equivalent or programming languages
- excellent English skills as demonstrated by peer-reviewed scientific manuscripts
Applicants should also be able to work as part of a team and think creatively.
The starting salary will be between $47,500 – $55,000, commensurate with experience, with an annual 3% raise. Applications will be accepted until June 16th 2021. The successful applicant would be expected to start around Fall 2021.
Applicants should apply online at https://stonybrooku.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl?job=2101300&tz=GMT-04%3A00&tzname=America%2FNew_York
The official REF# is: 2101300
Applicants should submit a State employment application, a cover letter, CV and a one page research statement. At least two letters of recommendation will be requested of candidates selected for interview, so please include contact information for references in your cover letter.
Inquiries about the job can be made by email to Krishna.Veeramah@stonybrook.edu.
Stony Brook University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action.
*This project has received funding from the European Research Council (ERC) under the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme (grant agreement No 856453).
EURAXESS offer ID: 643055
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.