ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Biochemisty and Biophysics Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE30/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Athens
LOCATIONPoland › Warsaw
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/08/2021
Key words: RNA, transcription, SARS-CoV-2, COVID19, protein purification, in vitro assays
The successful applicant will carry over duty of Lab Manager, perform established assays and protocols, protein purification and cell culturing. The IBB PAS gives opportunity to enter a PhD track for Research Assistants.
The laboratory headed by Dr. Tomasz Turowski is looking for a research assistant (lab manager). You will join the project entitled “Functional framework for viral RNA-dependent RNA polymerase, a major target in COVID19 treatment” funded by the Polish National Agency for Academic Exchange grant PPN/PPO/2020/2/00004.
Our laboratory is interested how the biophysics of transcription affects gene regulation and our goal is to apply this knowledge to increase our understanding of SARS-CoV-2 transcription to study viral adaptation and the mechanism of drugs inhibition.
Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is a positive strand RNA virus, in which the infecting RNA serves both as mRNA and genome. An RNA-dependent RNA polymerase (RdRP) both transcribes the genes and replicates the genome, making RdRP a major target in COVID19 therapy. Nucleotide analogues, including the drugs remdesivir and sofosbuvir, inhibit RNA synthesis by RdRP, but therapy could be enhanced by better understanding of key features of RdRP function.
To define key elements in SARS-CoV-2 transcription regulation, we will apply the combination of approaches developed in our previous studies: in vivo biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics and mathematical modelling. We aim to map RdRP and validate our findings using in vitro methods and compared with phylogenetic analysis. The data will be integrated into a mathematical model of SARS-CoV-2 transcription. We aim to identify sequences and mechanisms important for SARS-CoV-2 transcription than can be used as a targets in the therapies.
• Full-time employment contract for 4 years in the amount of 3 250 PLN/month (netto) plus 13th salary once a year. Salary supplement might be available from further projects.
• The position with 100% focus on research (no teaching obligations).
• Training opportunities.
• Good work-life balance culture.
The deadline for applications is June 30st, 2020. The job starting date is August 1st, 2020.
Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org
• In the subject include "LabManager" and your first and last name
• Your application must be submitted in English or Polish and should contain:
- Cover letter (briefly describing background, interests and motivation, up to 1 page).
- Scientific CV including achievements and used methodology (up to 5 pages).
- Contact details to 2 potential referees.
• All documents should be merged in a single pdf file.
• Please include the following statement in your application: I hereby give my consent for the processing of my personal data by the Institute of Biochemistry and Biophysics PAS with its seat in Warsaw Pawińskiego 5a, 02-106 hereinafter referred to as the Institute for the purpose of the recruitment process and for future recruitment processes conducted by the Institute under Art. 23 ust 1 pkt 1 of the Personal Data Protection Act dated on 29 August 1997, consolidated text: Journal of Laws 2016, item 922 with further amendments and under Art. 6 ust.1 lit. a of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such GDPR (Dz. U. UE. L. z 2016 r. Nr 119)”
Selected candidates will be invited for an interview (possible on-line).
Applications submitted after the deadline will be still considered if the position is not filled.
Requirements for the candidate:
• Bachelor or Master in molecular biology/biotechnology.
• Outstanding organization skills.
• Hands-on experience in molecular biology and/or biochemistry methods.
• Ability to work independently under appropriate supervision.
• Good knowledge in molecular and cell biology.
• Very good spoken and written English.
• Previous experience in RNA biology / protein purification (desirable).
EURAXESS offer ID: 641482
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.