ORGANISATION/COMPANYConsiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesChemistryEngineeringOtherPhysics
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › NAPLES
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK36
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER956325
A 36 months position is available for an Early Career Researcher in the ITN Astrotech (https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/956325, www.astrotechproject.eu) at the Institute of Polymers, Composites and Biomaterials (IPCB) of the National Research Council (IPCB-CNR) in Naples, Italy.
The European Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network ASTROTECH brings together 11 beneficiaries and 14 partners belonging to 9 European and Non-EU countries, including the participation of 5 partners from the private sector.
ASTROTECH mission is to create and develop the field of Glial Engineering, providing innovative tools to record, study, and manipulate astrocytes in the healthy and diseased brain. To this goal, the ASTROTECH network gathers all complementary expertise for engineering biomaterials, nanostructured interfaces and optoelectronic devices for stimulation, recording and biosensing of astrocytes, joint to computational approaches to describe and predict neuron-astrocytes interactions.
This will happen by giving 15 Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) exposure to a wide spectrum of expertise: state-of-the-art biomaterials interfaces, electronic, photonic devices will be combined with in depth knowledge on optogenetics, neuroscience, glial physiology and biology and computational methods to validate the developed tools in vitro, ex vivo, in silico and in pathological models of glioma, ischemia, epilepsy and depression.
CNR-ISOF is coordinating the project ASTROTECH and has the scientific task of validating novel glial interfaces developed to stimulate and record electrophysiological or calcium signalling in astrocytes. The ESR project title will be” Design and fabrication of micro/nano structured platforms as organic polymers to study in neural cells response in vitro”
In particular, the main goals of the ESR activity will be related to:
- Process condition setting and experimental setup implementation to manipulate organic polymers and biomaterials from natural or synthetic source via innovative processing techniques such as electro fluid dynamics (i.e., electrospinning, electrospraying, etc).
- Qualitative and quantitative investigation of morphological properties of micro/nanostructured platforms by conventional/unconventional microscopy techniques (Scanning and Transmission Electron Microscopy, Atomic Force Microscopy, 3D micro/nanotomography) and image analysis.
- Optimization of physical/chemical properties of fibres (i.e., wettability, electrical conductivity, surface adhesion, porosity, mechanical properties) in order to validate their use as gliomaterial interfaces.
The candidate will participate to events organised by the network (workshops, summer schools, conferences, etc.) and carry out secondments to partner sites (both academic and industrial).
During the Project implementation, the candidate will be exposed to a multidisciplinary environment with merging excellence in competence and state-of the art infrastructure in Neuroscience, Biomaterials Science, Engineering, Chemistry, Physics both Academic and
Private sector. Complementary skills will be promoted by specific training sessions and defined in career development plan, shared with supervisors.
The salary will comprise a living allowance of € 122.899,68 for 3 years and a mobility allowance of €21.600,00 for 3 years. An additional allowance of € 9.000,00 for 3 years may be payable but is dependent on individual family circumstances, any salary figures are subject to further deductions based on the country the fellowship is held.
The ESR will be enrolled as PhD student at the PhD programme in Industrial Product and Process Engineering, held at UniNA (University of Naples Federico II , Department of Materials and Chemical Engineering and Industrial Production).
Both CNR and University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society. Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment of Researchers – OTM-R will be applied in the selection.
We inform you that the data you provide will be processed for the sole purpose of evaluating professional profiles and selecting them according to the needs of the CNR-IPCB. Your data will be processed by the CNR-IPCB, based in Naples, Mostra d’Oltremare, Pad. 20, V.le J.F.Kennedy 54, as Data Controller, in compliance with the rules on protection of personal data, including those related to data security. We also inform you that, pursuant to article 15 and following articles of EU Regulation 2016/679 ("General Data Protection Regulation"), you may exercise your rights at any time by contacting the address indicated for the applications submission
The applicant shall, at the time of recruitment, be in the first four years of his/her research career and have not been awarded a doctoral degree. (This time is measured from the date of award/diploma of the most recent taught degree, time dedicated to teaching is not considered);
The applicant must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host institute (Italy) for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment. Compulsory national service, short stays such as holidays, and time spent as part of a procedure for obtaining refugee status under the Geneva Convention are not taken into account;
The applicant can be of any nationality.
Codice Bando IPCB-008-2021-SS-NA-Prot 0037884, scadenza : 21/06/2021
To apply for this studentship, please email an application consisting of:
-a motivation letter
-a full CV
-in the application a list of Reference persons to whom reference letter will be requested or the candidate should arrange that one recommendation letter is send to attention of Dr. Vincenzo Guarino, firstname.lastname@example.org, to arrive no later than 15 June 2021.
- Guarino et al. (2016) Polymers 2016, 8(5), 185;
- Saracino et al. (2021), RSC Adv., 11, 11347-11355
- Maiolo et al., (2021), Adv Healthc Mater, doi: 10.1002/adhm.202001268.
- Saracino et al. (2021) Materials Science and Engineering: C, 118, 111363
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELPhysics: Master Degree or equivalentBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalentChemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
• Master degree in Material Science, Bioengineering, Applied Physics, Process Engineering and Advanced Technology, Chemistry/Biochemistry (Applicant cannot hold a PhD degree obtained previously);
• Fluency in spoken and written English;
• Willingness to travel around Europe.
- Previous experience in Biomaterial applications, Materials synthesis and processing.
- 3D imaging, electronic materials and/or devices for bio-applications will be positively evaluated.
- Applicants should demonstrate ability to function within a large team, coordinate with colleagues and students and communicate across disciplines
- Applicants should demonstrate ability planning and managing day-to-day research activities.
EURAXESS offer ID: 640013
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.