ORGANISATION/COMPANYInstitute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineering
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/07/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONPoland › Olsztyn
TYPE OF CONTRACTOther
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/10/2021
We invite you to be part of the project “Voltage across a hydrogel: A new perspective on cell’s membrane potential and its implication for embryogenesis.”
Different value of resting membrane potential is characteristic for different cells’ types. Plastic (undergoing changes and fast division), embryonic, steam, but also cancerous cells have less negative potential than terminally differentiated cells. So, if we can affect membrane potential, we can possibly control cell’s performance (e.g. hamper spreading of cancerous cells or induce regeneration of different tissues and organs).
Our study in particular will focus on the effect of gel-like characteristics of the cell on its electric properties. We would like to create gel-based model of membrane potential generation, largely unaffected by specific biological processes (such as functioning of membrane pumps and channels). We can use this model to study effects of specific stimuli – CO2 (respiratory gas), infrared (metabolic heat) and mechanic deformation - on electric potential. Model’s predictions can be verified in systems involving living cells. We will start from algal cells and proceed toward animal (chick) embryos. Control of membrane potential can be very useful tool for emerging applications in medicine.
There are two investigation paths:
- Study of voltage generation across a hydrogel membrane (mimicking intracellular structures) and development of a model to be applied in biophysical studies;
- Electrophysiological measurements of membrane potential in algal and chick embryo’s cells in response to selected environmental stimuli (from the perspective of the gel-based model).
- PhD scholarship for 48 months;
- Place of work: Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn (Poland), Department of Reproductive Immunology & Pathology (www.pan.olsztyn.pl)
- Starting date: 1st October 2021
- Fully funded PhD scholarship (gross salary 4 276 PLN per month; ~3700 PLN net salary);
- You will be part of the Interdisciplinary Doctoral School of Agricultural Sciences (http://pan.olsztyn.pl/interdisciplinary-doctoral-school-of-agricultural-sciences/);
- Participation in international conferences and collaboration with our partner University of Algarve (Portugal)
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate containing the following information:
- Education history;
- Details on the MSc thesis;
- Scientific record (scientific articles, conference presentations, book chapters, monographs, books, etc.);
- Awards and other achievements (scholarships, internships, training schools, participation in research projects, etc.);
- Competences (laboratory skills, trainings, experience in work related to cell electrophysiology, etc.);
- Education history;
- Recommendation letter from MSc supervisor or scientific/research mentor;
- Other documents, that in the opinion of the candidate are important when considering him/her for the position
Please include in your application the following, signed statement:
„I agree to the processing of personal data provided in this document for realising the recruitment process pursuant to the Personal Data Protection Act of 10 May 2018 (Journal of Laws 2018, item 1000) and in agreement with Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation)”.
Applications should be sent to: dr Magdalena Kowacz (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please include “PhD application Sonata Bis” in the title)
Application deadline: 31.07.2021
Selected candidates will be invited for an on-line interview, during which candidates can be asked to give a short presentation on their recent research activity (e.g. Master’s thesis will be appreciated, but other research activities, also the ones where candidate participated as a co-researcher will also be welcomed). The applications will be assessed in accordance with the criteria included in Regulations for awarding NCN scholarships for NCN-funded research projects (Annex to Resolution No 25/2019 of the NCN Council). The results of the recruitment will be announced on August 16th, 2021
All questions related to the project/application procedure should be directed to project’s PI dr Magdalena Kowacz (email@example.com)
According to Art. 12 Para. 1 and 2 of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation- hereinafter referred to as GDPR), we would like to inform you that:
- The administrator of your personal data is the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn, 10 Tuwima Str., 10-748 Olsztyn, NIP 739-05-04-515, REGON 001289340, phone: +48 89 523 46 86, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You can contact our Data Protection Officer by e-mail: email@example.com.
- Your personal data will be processed on the basis of art. 6 par. 1 lit. a general regulation on data protection and the Labor Code – Act of June 26, 1974 (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 108) for recruitment to work at the Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of the Polish Academy of Sciences in Olsztyn .
- Personal data will be kept during the recruitment period.
- You have the right to request the administrator to access your personal data, the right to rectify it, delete or limit the processing and the right to withdraw consent to its processing.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory body, the President of the Office for Personal Data Protection.
- Providing personal data is a statutory requirement and is mandatory due to the provisions of labor law, and is voluntary in the remaining scope.
- Your data will not be processed in an automated way.
The provision of your personal data is voluntary, but the refusal to provide such data may result in the inability to attend the recruitment process.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
- Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Bioengineering, Physics or related field;
- Basic knowledge of cell biology, biophysics;
- Good command of English enabling communication, independent manuscript preparation and presentation at international conferences;
- Ability to perform lab work, independently plan and execute experiments and willingness to constantly deepen your knowledge based on the literature in the field.
- Previous experience and/or knowledge in the field of synthesis and physico-chemical characterization of gels, electrochemistry or electrophysiology of cells will be an asset.
Open, Transparent, Merit based Recruitment procedures of Researchers (OTM-R)
Know more about it at Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research of Polish Academy of Sciences
Know more about OTM-R
EURAXESS offer ID: 639566
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.