ORGANISATION/COMPANYMedical University of Innsbruck
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › BiologyBiological sciences › OtherMedical sciences › OtherPharmacological sciences › Other
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/08/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONAustria › Innsbruck
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2021
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
HOROS - Host Response in Opportunistic Infections, a FWF-funded doctoral collage has one fully funded PhD position on the broader topic of Microbiology and Immunology on offer:
Excessive inflammation triggered by a hitherto undescribed mechanism is a hallmark of severe SARS-CoV-2 infections and is associated with enhanced pathogenicity and mortality. 88% of COVID-19 patients illustrate metabolic iron changes during infection with SARS-CoV-2.
Our groups have long-standing expertise in studying in detail infectious diseases and host-pathogen interactions taking into account the complement system. Further, the Wilflingseder lab has established a primary, human pseudostratified 3D respiratory epithelial/immune model over the last years. This model is very versatile, since innate and adaptive components of the immune system can be easily added. During the last year, the Weiss and Wilflingseder labs successfully expanded novel variants of SARS-CoV-2 patient isolates and worked on various projects resulting in high impact publications on SARS-CoV-2 interactions and therapeutic interventions (Posch et al., 2021a, b, c; Lafon et al., in revision).
The successful PhD student should have a background in advanced cell biology and/or immunology to perform exciting research questions on deregulated host iron homeostasis, involvement of complement in SARS-CoV-2-mediated type I IFN response of infected tissues and on the connection of iron homeostasis, host metabolism, innate antiviral immune responses and complement functionality. State-of-the-art methods will be used (multi-parameter flow cytometry, high content screening, multiplex PCR). To tackle this complex task with an important translational impact, we are looking for a highly motivated PhD student. We offer a broad and stimulating environment of various disciplines since our institutes host several labs such as category 3 laboratory for virus work, molecular immunology lab and screening facilities.
Please see here the full project description.
Please see here the full project description.
For detailed descriptions of the projects go to:
• Individual supervision and monitoring (students have their individual thesis steering
• A highly structured HOROS-specific educational programme
• Great scientific network, also with international laboratories
• Retreats and social activities
• Guaranteed salary as suggested by the Austrian Science Fund for the proposed 3-
years, health insurance and social benefits (https://www.fwf.ac.at/en/research-funding/personnel-costs)
• State-of-the art facilities and resources
To submit your application, please go to the HOROS application page (http://www.horos.at/content/home/application/).
• filled application form
• university entry permission
• Master/MD/diploma degree
• recommendation letter
• abstract of diploma/master/MD thesis
We can only accept complete applications. Incomplete applications will not be
PhD students are selected on the basis of their application materials and the selected
candidates will be invited to a personal interview at Medical University Innsbruck.
• Verification that the application is complete and that the applicant fulfils all requirements
• Evaluation by HOROS faculty members and ranking of candidates based on their qualifications, research experience, and future plans
• Invitation of preselected candidates for a hearing and personal job interview in Innsbruck/ online interviews on 29th September 2021(depending on the pandemic situation in Sep; justifiable expenses for travel and accommodation will be reimbursed)
• Final selection of stipendiates
• Start of project 01st November 2021
Application deadline: 31. August 2021 23.59h CET
Interviews: 29. September 2021
Start of work: 01. November 2021
The entry requirement is a full study completing degree (Master, Magister, Diploma, MD) in medicine, natural sciences or related disciplines. Medical or Science students have to show academic excellence, scientific potential, flexibility, motivation and suitability for the research project.
EURAXESS offer ID: 638232
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.