- Human Resources
- Research Field
- Chemistry » Other
- Researcher Profile
- First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Offer Starting Date
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
- Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Junior Fellow – Development of covalent organic framework composites for Surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) sensing application
Job Reference: Ref.11.22.52/1
Employer: International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory (INL)
Location: Braga, Portugal
Group/Unit: Water Quality
Number of Vacancies: 1
Employment Type: Full time
Contract Duration: 13 months
Open Date for Applications: January 25th, 2023
Closing Date for Applications: February 24th, 2023, 23h00m (Lisbon Time)
Key words: #covalent organic frameworks, #surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS), #hybrid materials, #adsorption, #materials synthesis and #characterization
The Water Quality RG is dedicated to overcome some of the most challenging issues in water environment making responsible use of original applied research on environmental nanotechnologies. We are looking for a qualified junior fellow to join our team to develop high-performance covalent organic framework composites. The research will entail precise synthesis of highly crystalline covalent organic frameworks embedding plasmonic nanoparticles (such as gold nanoparticles) and their full characterization. The developed materials will be evaluated for the Surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS)-based sensing of biotoxins in water. The research will be developed under the project ATLANTICLAM - BRING EURO-NATIVE CLAM SPECIES FROM ‘FARM TO FORK’, funded by the EEA grants Blue Growth Programme. The successful candidate will work on the task 2.2 – Development of new portable biotoxins’ tests to use at open sea farm of the SR&TD project,
The job duties will be the following:
- Synthesis and characterization of plasmonic nanoparticles.
- Synthesis and characterization of covalent organic frameworks and building blocks thereof.
- Preparation and characterization of covalent organic framework-plasmonic nanoparticles composites.
- Evaluation of the efficiency of SERS detection of biotoxins using the developed composites and their performance in real matrix.
- Master degree or equivalent in Chemistry, Materials Science or similar.
Experience and Technical Skills
- Expertise and/or knowledge in organic/nanomaterials chemistry or related.
- Experience in organic/nanomaterials synthesis and functionalization of nanomaterials.
- Experience with materials characterization techniques (e.g. UV-VIS, DLS, zeta potential, XRD, FTIR, N2 physisorption, electron microscopies (TEM, SEM), Raman).
- Master degree in organic chemistry or nanotechnology
- Experience in surface-enhanced Raman scattering will be positively evaluated.
- Experience in microdroplets and microfluidics (fabrication) technologies will be positively evaluated.
- “Hands-on” approach together with a high commitment in respecting working deadlines;
- Problem Solving ability;
- Customer orientation;
- Ability to work independently and as team player;
- Good communication skills.
- Competitive salary;
- Tax benefits and other Diplomatic privileges;
- Private health insurance;
- Family allowances (according to family situation);
- Free nursery service at INL premises (subject to availability);
- Support for education fees of dependent children;
- Relocation support;
- 30 working days of annual leave.
How to Apply
The application must be in English and include the following mandatory documents:
a) Cover letter;
b) Curriculum Vitae;
c) Academic and/or Professional diplomas.
d) Recognition of academic degrees (only academic degrees awarded by non-Portuguese higher education institutions)*.
*The selected candidate(s) with an academic degree granted by a non-Portuguese higher education institution must present, for hiring purposes, the certificate of recognition of that degree(s), issued by the Portuguese Directorate General for Higher Education or by a Portuguese Public Higher Education Institution. Please consult the website of the Portuguese Directorate General for Higher Education: https://www.dges.gov.pt/en.
Online application instructions:
- The application is made online by clicking the “Apply” button below;
- The candidate must complete all required sections of the online application form;
- The candidate must submit the mandatory documents mentioned above in pdf format by including them in the “Additional files” section using the “Add portfolio” button.
Incomplete applications including the failure to provide mandatory documents or providing inaccurate information will result in the application not being considered.
How the Selection Process works
A. Applications eligibility check
This stage will be carried out on the basis of the mandatory requirements, education, experience and technical skills defined for the job, as well as the validation of the mandatory documents. Only candidates who meet the eligibility criteria will move forward to the next stage.
B. CV Assessment
The Selection Committee will evaluate the eligible applications based on their CV and other submitted documents and the suitability for the position. The best ranked candidates will be shortlisted for the interview stage(s).
The interview(s) may be done in different formats: video recording, online or onsite.
The question based interview will evaluate the match between the candidate’s profile and the requirements for the position, including the technical and personal skills. To better support this stage, the candidate may be requested to prepare a short presentation.
The selected candidate will be nominated and formally offered the position, including the disclosure of the contractual conditions.
We highly value your interest in becoming part of the INL experience and it is important for us to maintain good communications with all candidates. No matter the outcome of your application, we will always provide you with feedback.
Equal Opportunity and Non-Discrimination Principle
INL follows a non-discrimination and equal access principle, wherefore no candidate can be privileged, benefited, impaired or deprived of any rights whatsoever, or be exempt of and duties based on any possible discriminatory issues.
The advertisement deadline may be extended at any time without previous notice in order to improve the suitability and effectiveness of the recruitment process.
The International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory – INL (http://www.inl.int), is the first and only Intergovernmental Organisation in the world entirely focused on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
It was founded under an international legal framework to perform interdisciplinary research, deploy and communicate nanotechnology for the benefit of society. INL aims to be a recognised leading global nanotechnology innovation hub.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- Master Degree or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- INL - International Iberian Nanotechnology Laboratory
Where to apply
- Av. Mestre José Veiga, S/N
- Postal Code