RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences › Biological engineeringEngineering › Systems engineeringTechnology › Instrumentation technologyTechnology › Laboratory technologyTechnology › NanotechnologyTechnology › Pharmaceutical technology
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE31/05/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONBelgium › Diepenbeek
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/09/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER955623
IS THE JOB RELATED TO STAFF POSITION WITHIN A RESEARCH INFRASTRUCTURE?Yes
Technology that allows continuous sensing of a wide range of biomolecular parameters could revolutionise patient monitoring and enable truly personalised therapy. The commercially available sensors today only allow the continuous monitoring of glucose but not of other moleculars that are important for monitoring disease status and treatment effects. The ambition of CONSENSE is to provide a game change in continuous biomolecular sensing by combining advanced molecular engineering with tailored optical detection technologies to yield generic, affinitybased biosensing technologies.
CONSENSE is a European Training Network (ETN) project funded from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (Grant Agreement no. 955623). The consortium, bringing together pioneers in biomolecular switch engineering and research groups with an excellent track record in biosensor development using advanced optical approaches, will train 15 ESRs to fundamentally advance the field of continuous biomolecular monitoring for healthcare.
Within the frame of CONSENSE, FOx Biosystems is looking for a PhD student in the field of Biosensors for a duration of 48 months, starting on 01.09.2021.
FOx Biosystems develops and sells instruments to quantify and characterize biomolecular interactions, using Fiber optic surface plasmon resonance (FO-SPR), for applications in biological research and healthcare. The technology is used both label free, e.g for kinetic binding characterization, and labelled with gold nanoparticles, for fast and sensitive quantification.
The goal of this project is to proof feasibility of CONSENSE technology towards continuous bioprocess monitoring and taking the next step by providing a proof-of-concept demonstrator at system level. Within the project a cell-based model system will be accessible with a dynamic behaviour. Realtime biological assays will be used to generate information on the biology of response dynamics.
In the project the ESR at FOx Biosystems will study the potential of a DNA nanoswitch concept (see e.g. ESR 12) on the FO-SPR platform for continuous protein monitoring. The ESR will:
1) Test an internal reference on the optical fiber to compensate for internal (e.g. light source fluctuations) and external perturbations (e.g. temperature fluctuations).
2) Build a demonstrator to integrate the sensor probe into the cell-based bioreactor product flow both for sample and optical interaction.
3) Modify a nanoswitch concept for detecting proteins in a relevant model case.
4) Generate the feasibility dataset on the entire biosensor system solution for its performance characteristics (stability, sensitivity, specificity, etc.) in a cell culture bioreactor production flow toward an ELISA benchmark.
Partner: TU/e, Merkx, M16, 4 months: Feasibility study of DNA based biosensing concept for antibody based bioassays.
Partner: Philips, Lieshout, M24, 2 months: Technology assessment for medical applications.
Marie Curie eligibility rules requires ESRs to have at most four years of research experience. To satisfy Marie Curie mobility criteria, you must not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Belgium for more than 12 months in the 3 years prior to the start date (short stays such as holidays and/or compulsory national service are not taken into account).
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELTechnology: Master Degree or equivalentEngineering: Master Degree or equivalentPharmacological sciences: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Excellent
Essential Background: Candidates need to have a scientific background in e.g. chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering, bionanotechnology, or related disciplines.
Desirable Background: Candidates with optical and instrument experience is a plus. Furthermore a strong analytical and structured mindset with a can-do attitude are appreciated.
2) Your application can be addressed to Dr. Filip Delport. Applications must include all of the following: (i) a personal motivation letter, (ii) a updated Curriculum Vitae including the names and contact details of at least two references, (iii) lists of courses and grades of your BSc and MSc degrees, as originals and as transcripts, (iv) your final BSc thesis and your final MSc thesis (if available).
3) All applications will be handled confidentially. By submitting an application you consent to your application being shared with the other principle investigators of the CONSENSE consortium for the sole purpose of the candidate recruitment.
4) Only complete applications will be considered. Screening of applicants will start as soon as applications are received and will continue until the position has been filled.
EURAXESS offer ID: 633255
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.