ORGANISATION/COMPANYSlovak University of Agriculture in Nitra
RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciences
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)Established Researcher (R3)
APPLICATION DEADLINE15/06/2021 23:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONSlovakia › Nitra
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK37,5
Rector of SUA opens a call for the research postdoctoral post.
Eligible applicants for the postdoctoral post are persons who have completed PhD. study at the university or research institution no later than five years before starting postdoctoral post.
Application deadline: 15/06/2021
Offer starting date: 01/07/2021 or negotiable
Employment contract: 1 year with the possibility of extension to 3 years
Applicants for this post must professionally profile themselves to the topic of the postdoctoral post:
Effect of biochar application on greenhouse gas emissions (N2O, CO2), soil quality and crop yields on agricultural soils in the Danube lowland
Links to research project:
Department of Biometerology and Hydrology, Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering, SUA in Nitra is looking for a postdoctoral researcher in the field of Biochar application to soil, with special focus on the effect of biochar on nitrous oxide (N2O) emission, soil physical and chemical properties (with a chance to do the modeling).The postdoctoral post will be linked to the work on the solving of ongoing project “SMARTFARM (2019-2023)”, specifically work on activity No. 3 entitled "Management systems preserving biodiversity and mitigating the impacts of climate change".
Topic leader: Assoc.Prof. Jan Horak.
Contact: Department of Biometerology and Hydrology, Faculty of Horticulture and Landscape Engineering, SUA in Nitra, Hospodárska 7, 949 76 Nitra, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Biochar is a carbon-rich product of thermal degradation of biomass. The so-called "Terra Preta" concept is responsible for the recent increase in interest in biochar research, which is fueled by major global challenges: climate change and the need to develop sustainable farming systems. Several positive impacts of biochar applied to soil have been published to mitigate climate change by increasing soil carbon stocks and reducing soil greenhouse gas emissions, improving soil quality and crop production. While many research studies have focused on the short-term impact of the biochar application to soil, there are few research results available with long-term effects (e.g. > 2 years) in field conditions to develop recommendations for farmers.
Our team has a field experiment with biochar (established in 2014), where GHG emissions from soil, soil physical, chemical, microbiological properties and crops yields are investigated. The team has very well equipped laboratories needed for all analyzes.
Objectives of the topic:
The main objective of this postdoctoral post is a long-term study of the biochar effect on greenhouse gas emissions (CO2, N2O), physical and chemical properties of soil and crop yields.
Description of the professional content of the postdoctoral post:
Primary task of the postdoctoral post will include:
1. Quantification of the long-term effect of biochar on:
- emissions of nitrous oxide (N2O), carbon dioxide (CO2)
- chemical properties of soil - Corg, pH, mineral nitrogen
- physical properties of the soil such as retention curve, infiltration intensity and hydraulic soil conductivity
- crop yields
2. Modeling of selected examined parameters (GHGs, or soil moisture) on a regional scale (agriculturally used soils of the Danube plain) and formulation of strategies and recommendations for agricultural practice.
Skills of the postdoctoral post should include the experiences in the above mentioned tasks of the position.
- Good knowledge of English,
- Knowledge of working with PC,
- Sufficient scientific background related to soil properties,
- Experience in preparing and writing scientific papers in peer-reviewed scientific journals,
- The following experience will be an advantage: experience with laboratory and field instruments for measuring various soil parameters; experience with modeling of soil properties parameters, or greenhouse gas emissions, knowledge of plant physiology),
- Moral integrity and good work ethic.
Minimum outputs (scientific papers) during the postdoc:
Preparing and submitting at least one scientific paper (WoS: Q1 or Q2)
In the first round, selection committee appointed by the Rector will assess submitted applications in accordance with required conditions and documents defined in this call. Applicants who have not met defined requirements of this call do not advance to the second round.
The second round means interview in Slovak or English. Applicants will present their vision, research proposal and professional suitability with the post offered in the maximum 10-minute presentation. Presentation will be in the form of guided interview between the applicants and members of the selection committee.
Selection committee will determine the overall ranking of applicants. The final decision on selection process will be issued by the Rector of the University.
Application for the postdoctoral post includes the following documents submitted in Slovak or English:
- Written request to apply for this post
- Letter of motivation
- Project proposal
- CV emphasising scientific research activities relevant to the topic
- Basic scientometric indicators of the applicant (list of publications with emphasis on works indexed in WOS and SCOPUS and journal works, overview of citations, patent activity, transfer of knowledge into practice, studio/atelier activities)
- List of research grants/projects and brief description of the most significant results achieved
- List of completed internships (advantage)
- 1 letter of recommendation
- Other information, if any, illustrating the applicant's professional profile
- Certified copies of diplomas of the second and third degree studies (master and PhD.)
- Certified copy of an extract from the judicial record not older than 3 months
How to apply:
Send your application by mail to
Reference number: UP-2021-22
Slovak University of Agriculture in Nitra
Human Resources Unit
Tr. A. Hlinku 2
949 76 Nitra
Additional admin info: email@example.com
Additional research info: firstname.lastname@example.org
EURAXESS offer ID: 632917
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.