ORGANISATION/COMPANYWageningen University and Research
RESEARCH FIELDEconomics › Economic policyEconomics › Environmental economicsEnvironmental science › OtherOther
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/05/2021 01:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Wageningen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38
OFFER STARTING DATE01/07/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER814258
Overview: This Early Stage Researcher position is part of the European Training Network “REFLOW” entitled “Phosphorus Recovery for Fertilisers from Dairy Processing Waste”. A key part of the REFLOW project is to:
- mitigate the environmental impact of dairy processing waste on soil and water,
- provide safe environmentally-sustainable, cost-effective closed-loop solutions for crop nutrient management
- meet the demand for skilled professionals to support the technical, regulatory and commercial development of the market for recycled phosphorous fertiliser products.
The ESR will be required to undertake PhD studies and must fulfil the requirements of the university's doctoral training programme. They will have opportunities to visit other network partners for secondments, and attend the research and training events of the network. All costs will be fully funded (100% employment) for two years by the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions programme which also offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions. The REFLOW Training Network is coordinated by the University of Limerick.
The ESR will be enrolled for PhD studies at Wageningen University & Research (www.wur.nl). The position is funded for four years subject to a positive evaluation after 18 months
Position Details: The main role of this research fellow is to prepare the market for REFLOW recycled phosphorous (P) from dairy processing waste (DPW) by modeling the economics and financial risks of REFLOW processes including capital and operational expenses for the different fertilizer outputs and their market value using detailed material flow data. The work shall lead to a PhD thesis.
1. To compare different phosphorus recovery technologies and products from techno-social-economic perspectives.
2. To analyze the economic viability of an investment in phosphorus recovery from dairy processing wastewater using a stochastic simulation approach.
3. To Understand the hesitation to invest in phosphorus recovery technologies in the dairy processing industry with the value of waiting for new information.
4. To evaluate the impacts of policies on the viability of investing into phosphorus recovery and investment decisions.
A model to analyze investment opportunities in phosphorus recovery technologies from dairy processing wastewater leading to REFLOW fertilizer product(s). Report Detailing feasibility of REFLOW processes in economic, commercial, industrial, logistical, regulatory terms. Report of relevant market activation instruments for policy-makers.
The Researcher will be required to spend extended periods of time (secondments) at the premises of other beneficiaries and Partner Organisations which will be relevant and beneficial for the researchers and in line with the project objectives. Secondments will contribute to the inter-sectoral experience and also contribute to the multi/inter-disciplinary experience of the researchers. Secondments will not exceed 30% of the fellowship's duration. They will represent between 6 to 12 months of the ESRs contracted time.
- Excellent institutional environment, a stimulating high profile research programme with international focus
- Measures for career development opportunities (training programme, secondments)
- a full-time contract
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “ Best University” in the Netherlands for the 16th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Wageningen University & Research is the university and research centre for life sciences. The themes we deal with are relevant to everyone around the world and Wageningen, therefore, has a large international community and a lot to offer to international employees. Applicants from abroad moving to the Netherlands may qualify for a special tax relief known as the 30% ruling. Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
- At the core of the MSCA-ETNs is researcher mobility. The recruited Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity in the country he/she will be employed for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the recruitment date.
- Candidates must be in the early stage of their research career (first four years, full time equivalent) and not in possession of a doctoral degree.
Applicants are requested to submit their application in English until May 21st 2021 via the application website. The application shall comprise a letter of motivation (at least one page), a curriculum vitae, copies of diplomas and language skills, a transcript of records, a nominated referee that can be contacted and a paper or a publication if available.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for the interview before end of June 2021 with the position starting at start of July 2021.
- Criteria 1 [20%]: Work Experience
- Criteria 2 [40%]: Communication and interpersonal skills
- Criteria 3 [40%]: Literacy in at least one research field ("Agricultural Economics, Economic modelling, insurance science, data science, risk management, system dynamics")
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
- Masters degree - For holders of a university degree obtained in another country, an equivalent degree that qualiﬁes the holder to begin doctoral studies in the country in which it was issued (a certiﬁcated from the University may be required).
- Openness and willingness to collaborate with people from other scientific disciplines
- Clear scientific ambition in the conduct and publication of research work
- A social, critical and positive learning attitude towards achieving excellence
- Good knowledge and skills of scientiﬁc software packages such as Stata or R is an advantage
- Evidence of English language proﬁciency, both oral and written, is required
- Meet all the entry requirements of the WUR PhD programme
- Be prepared to travel and fulfil all secondments
- The fellow should contribute to the outreach of the project, especially by:
- participation in publications in high ranked journals
- active participation at scientific conferences, policy workshops etc. at national and EU level
- participation in media communication,and in spreading project information at EU level using European Commissions' communication tools
EURAXESS offer ID: 632914
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.