ORGANISATION/COMPANYUniversity of Groningen
RESEARCHER PROFILEEstablished Researcher (R3)Leading Researcher (R4)
APPLICATION DEADLINE25/05/2021 00:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONNetherlands › Groningen
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK38.0
We are looking for an early-career academic who is interested to start a tenure-track that focuses on education and who can strengthen our teaching and research in the field of energy and environmental sciences. In particular, we are looking for a candidate with expertise in societal and socio-economic aspects of the way that land use has to be integrated with ecosystem services such as agriculture, cattle farming and/or water management. The societal aspects of such ecosystem services are accompanied with local as well as national and global challenges that come with changing from more classical (fossil) energy sources to renewable energy. These challenges are even more pressing when approaching the ecological and societal disturbances of intensified farming and unbalanced water use from a sustainability perspective. Discussions on such topics often show contrasting conclusions depending e.g. on the point of departure, being more national (NL), more Europe-based, or more globally-oriented. This ensures a rather dynamic research field that also brings challenges to teaching this in a well-balanced way.
As Assistant Professor with an education profile you will:
● play a significant role in the development and innovation of education at FSE, both at the course and the programme level
● teach in the degree programme Energy & Environmental Sciences
● develop your own research line and/or contribute to research lines in the research group IREES (Integrated Research on Energy, Environment & Society)
● contribute to the supervision of PhD and MSc students in the research group
● contribute to the organization of the faculty, for example by participating in working groups and committees, especially in the domain of education
At the stage of Assistant Professor 60% of your time is for teaching and education development, 30% for research and 10% for organizational tasks. After five years you will be assessed for tenure and promotion to the level of Associate Professor (see Conditions of employment).
We offer you a full-time tenure-track position as Assistant Professor and:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, from € 3.746 up to a maximum of € 5.127 gross per month (scale 11 CAO Dutch Universities, depending on your career stage) for a full-time position
● a starting package of k€ 40 to travel, organize workshops, etc., as well as access to additional resources for education development projects
● holiday allowance and end-of-year bonus of respectively 8% and 8.3% of your yearly salary;
● a pension scheme
● maternity and parental leave
● the possibility to work part-time (0.9 FTE or 0.8 FTE)
● a personal development trajectory and a mentor program
● dual career support for partners of new faculty members moving to Groningen
Consider our website for more information about the working conditions at the University of Groningen: https://www.rug.nl/about-us/work-with-us/that-is-why/
In case of a full-time contract, you will initially be appointed for 7 years and your performance will be assessed after 5 years. This moment may be extended with at most one year in case of a life event (e.g. prolonged illness or maternity leave). If your assessment is positive, you will get a tenured appointment as Associate Professor with an education profile. Please consider the following link for more details on the criteria for promotion: https://www.rug.nl/webvernieuwing/world/fse/tenure-track-positions-educa...
The continuation of the career path after the level of Associate Professor with an education profile is currently being developed. It will include the possibility of applying for promotion to the position of Full Professor with an education profile.
We invite you to submit a complete application including:
● a cover letter in which you describe your motivation and qualifications for the position
● a curriculum vitae, including a description of your teaching experience, a list of your publications and a list with names of references
● a statement of your vision on teaching, in particular pertaining to developments in your field, and what you would like to accomplish in our degree programmes
● a description of your scientific interest and plans
You can submit your application until 24 May 11:59pm / before 25 May 2021 Dutch local time (CET) by means of the application form (click on "Apply" below on the advertisement on the university website).
The selection interviews will take place in the week of the 14th of June 2021.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our University. We are committed to building a diverse faculty so you are encouraged to apply. Our selection procedure follows the guidelines of the Recruitment code (NVP), https://www.nvp-hrnetwerk.nl/sollicitatiecode/ and European Commission's European Code of Conduct for recruitment of researchers, https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/jobs/charter/code
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Prof. Dr. E.J. Stamhuis
Prof. Dr. K. Hubacek
More information about the research institute
Assessment procedure and criteria
Profile report in which the position is described in more detail
Web site for additional job details
We offer you the opportunity to start a career path that focuses on education and to become an educational leader in time. We encourage you to apply if you have:
● a passion for teaching and education development
● demonstrably excellent teaching qualities
● a PhD degree in the field of Energy & Sustainability, Environmental Sciences, or a related field, obtained at most 8 years ago (at the time of appointment)
● a good track record in research, as shown by publications in international peer-reviewed journals and proceedings of renowned conferences
● at least two years of relevant work experience after your PhD (at the time of appointment)
● demonstrable organizational competences
● good command of spoken and written English
And you are:
● willing to obtain a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) within three years and a Senior Teaching Qualification (Dutch: SKO) within five years
● able to work well in an international, culturally diverse, environment
● a team player with good communication skills who is able to inspire students and colleagues
● able to speak the Dutch language or motivated to speak it within five years (B1 level).
EURAXESS offer ID: 632146
Posting organisation offer ID: 299951
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.