ORGANISATION/COMPANYALMA MATER STUDIORUM - Università di Bologna
RESEARCH FIELDAgricultural sciences › PhytotechnyBiological sciences › Nutritional sciencesEnvironmental science › Natural resources management
RESEARCHER PROFILEFirst Stage Researcher (R1)
APPLICATION DEADLINE21/05/2021 12:00 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONItaly › Bologna
HOURS PER WEEK40
OFFER STARTING DATE01/11/2021
- Despite the fact that the fishery issue is one of the priorities of the European agenda, this topic has never been supported by high level dedicated education. FishMed-PhD programme will focus predominantly on Mediterranean fisheries, both in terms of understanding the impact that fishing pressure can have on ecosystems, but also how fisheries are interconnected with the marine environment and are themselves impacted by other drivers of change (e.g. climate change, alien species). FishMed-PhD programme will train a new generation of managers, not only on innovative Technologies, the biology of the harvested species and biotechnologies, but also on the importance of limiting the anthropic impacts while maintaining the economic performances. PhD candidates will carry out interdisciplinary, state-of-the-art research and complement their training through specialised courses. PhD candidates will also learn to implement environmental awareness and to deliver scientific knowledge to policy makers, and the general public.
- Research topics
- Marine microbial metagenomes: study of microbial metagenomes from marine organisms (holobionts) and environments as indicators of ecosystems and organism health and functionalities;
- Marine environment: relationship between environment and organisms; autecology and synecology, biological cycles of the species being harvested, and food webs;
- Modeling gene regulation, biomineralization, growth, and population dynamics in marine calcifiers and fish species;
- Genomic methods and life history traits as tools for fisheries management;
- Fishery stock assessment methods;
- Fishing innovative techniques and Technologies;
- Marine microbial food webs, and food security;
- Influence of contaminants (chemical and microbiological) on reproductive cycles, on food quality and on human biodiversity;
- Bioremediation of impacted marine ecosystems (surface and subsurface water and sediments);
- Aquaculture, restocking and relative environmental impact;
- Human genetic variability of genes and pathways involved in lipid metabolism across Italy and the Mediterranean area: focus on genetics, nutrition and health;
- Natural resources and environmental economics;
- Fisheries economics, product marketing and fishery chain;
- Protection of the environment and resources: legal bases, organizational, and innovative elements and tools for ecosystem-based fishery management;
- Community legislation on fisheries, national rules in the Mediterranean countries and EUSAIR;
- International Fisheries Organizations operating in the Mediterranean: objectives and functioning;
- Sustainable exploitation of marine bio-resources (microbes, biomass and fish processing by-products and wastes);
- Citizen Science: communication, volunteer involvement, spatial and temporal large-scale monitoring, dissemination, environmental education.
The yearly gross amount of the scholarships is € 15.343,28. Social-security contributions are deducted monthly from the gross scholarship by the University on behalf of the PhD candidates. Scholarships are paid to PhD candidates on a monthly basis, in arrears (payment is completed not earlier than the 25th day of the month).
Please, check the Call for applications
Qualifications and research proposal evaluation
More information in the PhD Programme Table
Web site for additional job details
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELOther: Master Degree or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESENGLISH: Good
Applicants, regardless of age and citizenship status, can apply for the admission to the selection procedure if they have awarded at least one of the following degrees:
- Laurea Magistrale, Magistrale a ciclo unico or Laurea Specialistica (Master’s Degree);
- Laurea di Vecchio Ordinamento (pre-1999 reform);
- A Second Cycle Degree awarded by academic institutions part of AFAM (Alta Formazione Artistica e Musicale);
- A non-Italian Second Cycle Degree (Master’s Degree or Single Cycle Degree) awarded by an academic institution equivalent to the above mentioned degrees (letters a, b, c).
Applicants who are yet to obtain their Second Cycle Degree are admitted to the selection procedure on condition that they obtain their degree by no later than October, 31st 2021.
- Multi-annual research proposal
- Abstract of the second cycle degree thesis
- No more than 2 reference letters
- Personal Statement
- List of publications (i.e. monographs, articles on scientific journals, volume chapters - max. 5), minor publications (conference papers, etc. - max. 5) and abstracts and posters presented during academic conferences (max. 5). All in full text.
- University Master Courses (Master Universitari di I e II livello), Postgraduate vocational training programmes and/or specialisation programmes relevant to the PhD Programme
- Postgraduate vocational training programmes and/or specialisation programmes relevant to the PhD Programme
- Research activity of any kind
- Working experience
- Language proficiency certificates
- Periods of study abroad, outside the country of origin (e.g. Erasmus programme or other similar mobility programmes)
- Other qualifications attesting the suitability of the applicants (scholarships, prizes, etc)
More information in the PhD Programme Table
EURAXESS offer ID: 631030
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to download all jobs in XML.