RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciencesEnvironmental science
RESEARCHER PROFILERecognised Researcher (R2)
APPLICATION DEADLINE10/05/2021 23:59 - Europe/Brussels
LOCATIONFrance › MONTPELLIER
TYPE OF CONTRACTTemporary
HOURS PER WEEK35
OFFER STARTING DATE01/06/2021
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMMEH2020 / ERC
- Analyses: De novo genome annotation, gene orthology inference, gene tree/species tree reconciliation, phylogenomic analyses, selection analyses (dN/dS), molecular convergence detection, study of gene families evolutionary dynamics.
- Publications: Writing scientific articles.
As part of the ERC Consolidator ConvergeAnt project (www.convergeant-project.com/), we are looking for a post-doctoral candidate with a good experience in comparative anatomy, geometric morphometrics, and biomechanics. The overall objective of the project is to investigate the mechanisms underlying the evolutionary convergence between the different myrmecophagous mammalian lineages (i.e. which feed mainly on ants and termites). The project proposes an integrative approach to answer this question by combining the study of the morphology, genome, and microbiome of these different species. The candidate will be in charge of the analysis of the already available genomic data. The goal will be to assemble a dataset of protein-coding genes from the hundreds of available mammalian genomes to conduct analyses of genome-wide convergent molecular evolution to identify genes presenting an excess of adaptive convergent substitutions in myrmecophagous lineages with contrast to non-myrmecophagous lineages. We will investigate the potential parallel evolution of gene families by reconstructing the duplication history of gene families to identify potential convergent expansions and/or losses in myrmecophagous lineages relative to other mammalian species with different diets. Overall, the project will build upon recent experimental and theoretical advances on detecting convergent evolution at the molecular level.
The ConvergeAnt ERC project is led by Frédéric Delsuc (http://fdelsuc.wixsite.com/homepage) of the Phylogénie et Evolution Moléculaire team at the Institut des Sciences de l'Evolution (ISEM) UMR 5554 CNRS-UM-IRD-EPHE (https://isem-evolution.fr/en/), located on the University of Montpellier campus. This integrative project is the subject of regular meetings with the other people involved in the laboratory in which the candidate must participate.
- Previous quality publications on mammalian comparative genomics and molecular evolution.
- Experience with analyses of long read Nanopore data and hybrid mammalian genome assemblies.
- Mastery of genome annotation methods (transposable elements, gene prediction, integration of transcriptomic data)
- Strong bioinformatics skills (R, Bash and Python languages).
- Fluency in scientific, oral and written English.
- Ability to work autonomously and rigorously.
- Capacity for integration and teamwork.
For more information please contact Frédéric Delsuc (Frederic.Delsuc@umontpellier.fr).
Web site for additional job details
Required Research Experiences
RESEARCH FIELDBiological sciences
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
RESEARCH FIELDEnvironmental science
YEARS OF RESEARCH EXPERIENCE1 - 4
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVELBiological sciences: PhD or equivalentEnvironmental science: PhD or equivalent
REQUIRED LANGUAGESFRENCH: Basic
EURAXESS offer ID: 630869
Posting organisation offer ID: 21022
The responsibility for the jobs published on this website, including the job description, lies entirely with the publishing institutions. The application is handled uniquely by the employer, who is also fully responsible for the recruitment and selection processes.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to download all jobs in XML.